U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,284,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnipowastewi View Post
We have seen a influx of people from California that put graffiti on the rocks of our canyons and our bridges over pristine creeks and rivers. They throw trash out along our highways and generally disrespect the natural wonders of the place they are living in.
it's the illegals (or more likely, their kids) doing that. Bunch of gang bangers.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There's definitely a resentment of Californians among certain small segments of the population in Colorado. Also, some people have a problem with Texans, and some people have a problem with New Yorkers (or people from the east coast in general). That issue has already been addressed on this forum. As for Arizonans-- not really. To tell you the truth, most Coloradans don't really know much or even care about Arizona. Among those that do, it's usually a positive relationship-- a lot of people in CO take road trips and vacations throughout AZ and the southwest. We used to go to Arizona(Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix, etc) on family road trips every year growing up. Then I moved to Tempe to go to ASU in 2004. Soon I'll be back to CO! There's always a small trickle of people going back and forth between CO and AZ. Some like the heat, some like the cold. Heck, the reference to "zonies" you read might have been posted by me! I used the term in a sort of joking, affectionate way, not as an insult.
The elephant in the room is the Green / Blue County cohort among the incoming Californians (or in many cases, themselves transplants from other states to California - typically the NE US, or, kids of immigrants). There are essentially two groups of Californians moving to other states. One group are Old West type people (like me) who are bothered by the liberalization and Easternization of our state, and are essentially looking to recreate the vibe of earlier times, somewhere else. The other group, are bothered by "development" and come in search of nature, mountains, etc - you'll find the highest concentration of these in the northern Front Range communities, and at the high end, as part time residents in the resort towns. This is the Green / Blue County cohort, with the Obama and other Lefty bumper stickers on their Volvos. No doubt, if a person is of the Old West, seeing this will cause a reaction.

The mistake we made in California was we had the most extreme version of an Old West characteristic I now view as a character flaw. Namely, we were way too much into the none of my business, live and let live mentality. We had no notion of applying assimilation pressure to newcomers, and ended up losing our state. It's interesting to compare this with the South. There, I find more assimilation pressure and witness newcomers to adapt more to their new environment rather than the other way around. May be too late for Colorado seeing as how y'all turned Blue in the last election.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,870,777 times
I was riding around town today with a friend of mine who has California plates on his car because he is living there for work for the next two years. He drove back to see his parents after taking a driving vacation through the Southwest. Any way here we are two native Colorado guys by 40+ years driving around South Denver getting obnoxiously tail gated,stared at, and told by one nice gentlemen at a convenience store to head back to f...in Cali. At first I thought the stares were just because I am so great looking.. I really hadn't even thought about it until my friend reminded me what state his plates were from; he calls them anger management plates.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Actually it is the problem. The huge influx of people who imported their own way of doing things has overwhelmed the character of all the little towns that brought them there in the first place. There are a few still trying to hold onto their heritage, but you're killing them off too.
This is also the root cause of the ruination of California. It was overwhelmed by newcomers who refused to assimilate and instead changed it into something new. California now has more in common with New Jersey than it does with Arizona or Idaho. Oregon, Washington and Nevada are well along the way. Colorado is apparently also lost. New Mexico as well. What's left for Westerners? Alaska I suppose.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM

346 posts, read 1,418,223 times
Last week I was talking to a parent at my kids' school. I've spoken to this man several times before, but during this particular conversation, I mentioned that we had moved here from California. His response was: "You're kidding! I never would have guessed you were from California because you're friendly." I wasn't sure if I was to take that as a compliment, or come to the defense of Californians. Despite the fact that I chose to move out of the L.A. area, I was fortunate for the past 40+ years to have known several "friendly" people. It's a shame when all people see is what is portrayed by the media. (Plastic-looking people who are self-centered). One of my close friends who moved from California to Virginia had a similar experience when disclosing the fact that she was from California. The other person's response was: "Wow, you must be good at throwing a Frisbee!"

I did make sure I had my license plates changed almost immediately upon moving--but not before I was flipped off by some self-important native.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,110,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I did make sure I had my license plates changed almost immediately upon moving--but not before I was flipped off by some self-important native.
You mean, like this?...
Attached Thumbnails
Attitudes Towards Californians-oldman_roadrage.jpg  

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,509,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is also the root cause of the ruination of California. It was overwhelmed by newcomers who refused to assimilate and instead changed it into something new. California now has more in common with New Jersey than it does with Arizona or Idaho. Oregon, Washington and Nevada are well along the way. Colorado is apparently also lost. New Mexico as well. What's left for Westerners? Alaska I suppose.
Oh, waaaah! Then go to friggin' Alaska and freeze your butt off in the cold!

I find it so amusing that people want CO to be "like the old days". I don't hear any Native Americans whining about what happend 200 years ago when the Europeans came to Colorado. Get over it!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 PM

535 posts, read 1,363,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, waaaah! Then go to friggin' Alaska and freeze your butt off in the cold!

I find it so amusing that people want CO to be "like the old days". I don't hear any Native Americans whining about what happend 200 years ago when the Europeans came to Colorado. Get over it!
If you don't hear, it's probably because you don't listen.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 PM

84,997 posts, read 98,847,978 times
First of all, let me say, I think I need a sponsor or a 12 Step program to keep me off these type of threads!

That said, I had a similar experience to rebagirl's when I moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois. A co-worker found out I was from PA and said "How come you're so friendly, then?". I was flabbergasted! Granted, I was very young, only about 22, and having grown up in PA (and done a stint in CA), I never knew people thought Pennsylvanians were rude. There were many more incidents, and a few out here, like that. The funny thing is that back east, PA is considered somewhat of a "rural" state. It cracks me up when people here think it's one solid block of concrete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Last week I was talking to a parent at my kids' school. I've spoken to this man several times before, but during this particular conversation, I mentioned that we had moved here from California. His response was: "You're kidding! I never would have guessed you were from California because you're friendly." I wasn't sure if I was to take that as a compliment, or come to the defense of Californians. Despite the fact that I chose to move out of the L.A. area, I was fortunate for the past 40+ years to have known several "friendly" people. It's a shame when all people see is what is portrayed by the media. (Plastic-looking people who are self-centered). One of my close friends who moved from California to Virginia had a similar experience when disclosing the fact that she was from California. The other person's response was: "Wow, you must be good at throwing a Frisbee!"

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,507,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, let me say, I think I need a sponsor or a 12 Step program to keep me off these type of threads!

That said, I had a similar experience to rebagirl's when I moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois. A co-worker found out I was from PA and said "How come you're so friendly, then?". I was flabbergasted! Granted, I was very young, only about 22, and having grown up in PA (and done a stint in CA), I never knew people thought Pennsylvanians were rude. There were many more incidents, and a few out here, like that. The funny thing is that back east, PA is considered somewhat of a "rural" state. It cracks me up when people here think it's one solid block of concrete!
Pennsylvania is a *somewhat* rural state? These westerners need to get out and travel more! Pennsylvania is Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and farmland in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or