U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times

Advertisements

My traffic is worse than your traffic and my dad can beat up your dad. LOL

Old 07-23-2007, 07:25 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,126,667 times
Default The root cause

It's not a matter of being Californian or Coloradan or uptight or laidback or whatever. Aggressive freeway driving seems to correlate directly with the size and infrastructure of a given area. That is, the bigger the city, the more crazy the roads are, generally. Additionally, in places like the SF bay Area and LA we have very many first-generation immigrants who are new to driving altogether and have different cultural precepts about road etiquette. That seems to exasperate the matter further. I'm not blaming those immigrants (and certainly not hating them) but it is a fact of life that we all have to contend with. When I travel to foreign countries and drive around, I'm sure I get in their way as well. So three million of me would really bog down their infrastructure.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Everytime I visit Colorado, I hear how people say that everyone I see is not actually from there. Its chock-full of people from California and the Coloradoans all moved to the mid-west.

Is this true? If so, what are the general attitudes that Coloradoans have towards Californian 'immigrants'? What do Californians bring that Coloradoans dislike? Is there a positive aspect to them moving in?

Let me know!
I am a Native of Colorado and we do not object to immigration of people from any state as long as they respect the beauty that is Colorado. We have seen a influx of people from California that put graffiti on the rocks of our canyons and our bridges over pristine creeks and rivers. They throw trash out along our highways and generally disrespect the natural wonders of the place they are living in.

If you want to bring something to Colorado and earn respect in the mean time, bring your environmental, conservation, and love of a pristine habitat with you and help us keep it that way.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM

636 posts, read 2,057,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnipowastewi View Post
I am a Native of Colorado and we do not object to immigration of people from any state as long as they respect the beauty that is Colorado. We have seen a influx of people from California that put graffiti on the rocks of our canyons and our bridges over pristine creeks and rivers. They throw trash out along our highways and generally disrespect the natural wonders of the place they are living in.

If you want to bring something to Colorado and earn respect in the mean time, bring your environmental, conservation, and love of a pristine habitat with you and help us keep it that way.
What makes you think Californians are the ones littering? They seem to be pretty green and eco-friendly to me. I would have to blame ignoramuses in general for the litter and defacing.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,760,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
What makes you think Californians are the ones littering? < snip > I would have to blame ignoramuses in general for the litter and defacing.
As a native Coloradoan, I am in that camp too.

Californians, Texans, those from the east coast (none specified cause y'all are lumped in there as one - giggle) and even those from other countries as is the case with many areas in CO are no better citizens than the next.

Californians are not to blame for litter. Heck, a lot of the litter I see on the Front Range of CO has to do with wind blowing over garbage cans, people who open a car door and zoom out goes the errant (sp) fast food wrapper from their vehicle and the like. The wind around here can be pretty bad.

Heck, outside that, it's not just people from out of state that do this, I had a very uncomfortable ride form C Springs to Mile High (not Invesco, thank you very much) where we went to a Broncos preseason game and they didn't have a way for us smokers (yes I am a smoker, deal) to dispose of our butts properly. None of the other three occupants in the car (all four of us smokers) seemed to think it was a big deal. I finally consumed the last of a beverage and apologized to the car owner that I was not going to throw any more smokes out the window. It was raining like crazy that day so the lack of fire danger was 0% but I am not one to throw even a cig butt out unless I am forced too.

You should see my car most of the time from bank reciepts to other things that most would just carelessly throw out. I may be lazy but at least I leave my waste in my car rather than throwing it out my window...a long standing belief that no matter which state I am traveling, I try to leave it as nice as I found it, even at 75 mph.

Last edited by COflower; 07-23-2007 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: clarification -typos are dismissed

Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM

COflower

Quote:
you wrote: I was not going to throw any more smokes out the window.
Many smokers don't think of throwing their dirty butts out the window as littering. You put the sense back into common sense. My hat is off to you!

regards....Franco

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM

85,089 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnipowastewi View Post

Definitely agree with the rest on this. I do not think littering, graffiti, etc is a California thing, and I think it unfair to blame "them" for it. Most people move here from out of state for the above.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,760,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Many smokers don't think of throwing their dirty butts out the window as littering. You put the sense back into common sense. My hat is off to you!

regards....Franco
Sadly a lot of my fellow smokers don't feel the same as I do in that regard. I get my unders in a twist when I see other smokers do that.

I will admit, however, that I did throw my cig butts out the window up until the mid-90s after I moved to Grand Junction. That first summer there was a bad year for fires. After seeing the destruction that fire did to the western slope, I decided my truck's ashtray was there for a reason so by golly, just use it!

Anyhow, I do contend that it's not just Californians that litter our state, it's natives and non-natives alike.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times
More people = more litter, more sprawl, more traffic, etc., etc. The litter on the roads, etc. comes from natives and non-natives alike. The sprawl can come from either. But the resort sprawl is mostly coming from out-of-staters that JUST HAVE to own their little piece of Colorado. That kind of "litter" is the most permanent and most damaging of all. Contrary to what the Chamber of Commerce types would like everyone to believe, the resort and second home industry is not a CLEAN industry. It brings with it a lot of environmental (and social) problems. Funny, how many of the people who occupy those resort condos and second homes are often the first to pillary any other industry that wishes to operate in the mountains (mining, logging, even ranching), but refuse to acknowledge what their own presence is doing to damage the local environment. Personally, a little more mining, logging, and ranching in the mountains and a lot less resort and second home crap would suit me just fine.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM

jazzlover

I watched an enjoyable movie last night called Sweet Land. It's about a young man who inherits the family farm faced with a decision to keep it or sell it to the developers. It's a good watch if you haven't already seen it. I think you would enjoy watching it.

regards....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or