Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to vacation in Summit County or thereabout (Breck, Frisco, Dillon, Keystone, or Silverthorne) this summer with our two big dogs. They are extremely well behaved and used to large outdoor parks where they can walk off-leash. Some questions for people familiar with these areas:

1) any trails or large parks (NOT the small fenced in enclosures that pass for dog parks in most towns) in any of these towns where dogs can be off-leash in the summer? preferably without too many bugs/coyotes/bears!

2) any of the five areas I mention -- Breck, Frisco, Dillon, Keystone, or Silverthorne -- better than others in terms of a laid-back local culture about leash laws (in other words, don't ticket for this as long as your dog is under voice control)?

Thanks! Really appreciate the help - will help us determine where to rent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I can't comment specifically on the area, but the mountains are generally very dog friendly. If you try posting in the Frisco or Breck forum on Trip Advisor I know some of the destination experts there will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Bugs aren't really an issue at higher elevations, a few mosquitos but not many. Coyotes are around, in fact they keep stealing my dogs toys from the yard. We've seen them, have been seen by them and never had a problem, my dogs seem to know that they aren't a new playmate. I've only seen one bear in 11 years, moose, elk and deer are more prevalent. I have been warned that moose see dogs as a natural enemy and will attack if they feel threatened.

It's a rarity that my dogs are on a leash, but I always have a couple with me. If you happen to come up to the Vail Farmer's Market you will see as many dogs as you will people. Usually you'll see leashes in town, but not on trails.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,515 times
I agree with dogmama50....same thing when you go to Breckenridge. Walk along mainstreet and there are always dogs with their owners. Better like the pooches or, don't go there!! It's really cool!!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Check it out!
Ski Joring Clinics - Devil's Thumb Ranch - 5000 Acres of Raw Colorado

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
I live in Breckenridge with 2 dogs. I keep them on a leash in town, but not on trails or near my house. I have seen bear, coyote, fox and moose in the area... all are a threat to your dogs. Try to be aware when you are hiking and keep your dogs close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado