U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerderby305 View Post
There isn't much land in the downtown area of Durango
Yeah, I overlooked your comment about wanting acreage and seclusion. If you like the area though, there must be other properties around there that don't have pipelines or other negatives. If it were in your situation I'd probably stick to finding something in that area rather than looking in a whole new place. Perhaps find a local realtor who will help you zero in on something.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-22-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,840,209 times
Wink North, but not to Alaska

If you like Durango, or at least the vicinity, then no reason not to choose it.

The area north of Durango, up US 550, is attractive, and as far as I know suffers no oil activity. Most of that is centered from Farmington, NM out like a bad smell. The one significant downside I can see to living in such an area is cost, since it is desirable.

However, never fear. In briefly looking I discovered an 1,890 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 bath home on 4.26 acres for only $599,900. Among other amenities, a lovely view of pine trees and terraced red rock cliffs off the deck. It is located a short distance south of Hermosa, on the east side of the Animas River.

There are a number of attractive properties in that region, with as said the only real negative higher costs than many can afford. Also, anyone local to the area for decades possibly not thrilled with the recent steady growth of housing in an area once largely open meadow. But last time I was there still largely open country, if intruded upon in places, and quite beautiful. Durango is a lovely town with all the amenities, or at least all you'll find in the Four Corner region, and an easy drive from this upper valley.

If preferring something more remote and wild, just keep heading north towards Silverton.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,576,702 times
My wife & I just closed on a 5 acre lot south of Durango (near the DRO airport) last week. 10 mins from downtown Durango & 5 mins to the new hospital. There is quite a bit of land for sale in the area both raw & developed. If you have a budget up to 900K, you won't have any difficulty finding something. That's far in excess of what we had available to spend.

Our lot is developed so it already has a water well and gas & electric to the property line. We have gorgeous LaPlata & San Juan mountain views and are waterfront (pond) as well.

We currently live in PA but plan to retire to Durango and build a home in 3-5 years.

Good luck with your search. You should have quite a bit to pick from.

SoButCounty

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM

9,292 posts, read 5,792,928 times
Since you don't "like" wells, I assume that you hoof it or ride a bicycle. Living inside the city limits of Durango would be more desirable. Sure there's less land, but the wide open vistas are amazing.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 15,394 times
Elan, we drive we don't hoof it or ride bicycles, we aren't green over the top, but are environmentally conscious of our surroundings. We understand that things aren't perfect either if we can find that particular area with that kind of home without the drawbacks we'd make an offer right away I'm sure.
Hesperus was still very quiet and the new Ute reservoir is 5 minutes form the home we like so it does have it's ups.
Any other city like Durango/Hesperus suggestions?
Thanks again everyone for all your responses it helps out alot!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 15,394 times
Does anyone have a more up-to-date app other then Google Earth-SkyTruth.org? It's a few years old and we want to check the most recent gas drilling sites in LaPlata?
Thanks

Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
If you're interested at all in the local history of the area, this came out last year:

http://www.co.laplata.co.us/sites/de...ut_Jan2010.pdf

As to your question, you could call someone at the county office there to see if they might have a schematic they can send you of what you're looking for.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 8,174 times
I know some one suggested it already, but your story sounds all to familiar to me. My in laws were singing the same tune in 2004 when looking very hard in Durango, they came east 60 miles and found Pagosa. Bought a home right away and now I have lived here for 4 years with my wife and 2 kids. It is the best place I have been so far. I grew up back east (Upstate NY) and really love it here. Area is beautiful, people are fantastic and the outdoor lifestyle really fits us.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or