U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,197,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by witdove View Post
Thank you all so very much!! I am making some calls this morning..it isnt a pretty piece of land but yes the price is attractive with the low monthly payment. I appreciate it so much for everyones help. I will start calling and see what I can find out..before we sign anything!!!!

witdove, have you actually been to the property??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 18,471 times
Nope have not physically been there but have gps, satalite, mapped, not afraid of the weather, area or nature but definately not use to people telling you what you can do with your own land is different. Am waiting for offices to open to find aout about the water sit.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
It is absolutely foolish beyond comprehension to purchase any piece of real estate without physically visiting and inspecting the property first and THOROUGHLY researching to find any potential issues. Some of the small parcels in the SLV don't even have legal road access. DON'T EVER TRUST WHAT A REAL ESTATE AGENT TELLS YOU. They are working for the seller, not you, and, frankly, the majority of them are unethical enough to mislead you in order to make a sale. I've worked around the real estate business in Colorado for decades--I know how sleazy it really is. Verify everything yourself.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks jazzlover...we have bought I have bought 3 properties over the net in my many years and have not been disappointed in the land its self..its these other things that are really disturbing to me...I am so glad I found this forum..you all are the best!! We need the honesty and all the input..will let you know what I find out..should be about time to start calling!!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM

wolfskullpolo, We maybe neighbors we are signing the papers this week for 5 acres near San Acacio. Plan on dome home..will be great to know you..can write me at witdove@gmail.com!!!

Last edited by witdove; 02-20-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Our Update

It turns out no we dont have water right to creek but we can put in a well...and no restrictions on building or animals so we are going for it...we haul water here in Tn so no difference there..the property not too far from San Acacio so would love to know anyone in the area!!!

Last edited by witdove; 02-20-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Quote:
wolfskullpolo, We maybe neighbors we are signing the papers this week for 5 acres near San Acacia. Plan on dome home..will be great to know you..can write me at witdove@gmail.com!!!
hoping you mean San Acacio, if you're planning on building in Colorado/San Luis Valley.

IIRC, San Acacia is quite some distance away in another state ....

Before you sign anything and commit to buying this land ... even if it's around $600/acre, which may seem inexpensive compared to raw land in other places ... I'd suggest you look again at jazzlover's comment about not buying property sight unseen.

While you may have had a good experience buying land this way in other locations, you may be in for a very rude awakening re Colorado rural land real estate sales agencies/agents ethics and practices. Jazzlover is speaking from the same reservoir of experience that many of us on this forum have encountered. There's a reason why so few of these parcels are sold to folk in Colorado as "get away ... your piece of the serenity and a good stop between ski areas in NM and back to Colorado travels". These are primarily marketed to out of staters who don't know what they are getting into, buying the "sizzle but not necessarily the steak". The real money for a lot of these outfits is selling under contract to deed sales and the keeping the proceeds on the defaulted notes so they can sell the property again ... when the buyers find out what it is they've really bought.

I'd be especially careful if your land experience to date is from riparian areas of the USA. It's a whole 'nother situation at altitude in a desert environment. The cut-off between a livable situation with water rights and functional water availability to a barren piece of land surrounded by many acreas of barren nothingness can be very dramatic. IOW, just because you see pictures of water and it's us in the area doesn't mean that that's what you are getting in your land purchase. This will affect the immediate scenery, your domestic use of water, landscaping, etc ...

Just for grins ... I pulled up the Alamosa airstrip weather report from a few minutes ago:
winds 18/gusting 31, temp 34F, yielding a 4F windchill. That's likely a much calmer and warmer scenario than in San Acacio area right now ... not a very pleasant day to be outdoors in the area.

Good luck on your purchase.

PS: hauling water for domestic use in a riparian climate area is a whole different situation than hauling it in a desert climate area with very limited water rights availability.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-20-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM

Default OOPs my bad..

Yes thats what I mean sorry ..San Acacio...my typing is very bad sometimes..

Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times
Quote:
It turns out no we dont have water right to creek but we can put in a well...and no restrictions on building or animals so we are going for it...we haul water here in Tn so no difference there..the property not too far from San Acacio so would love to know anyone in the area!!!
I really, really hope you haven't signed anything/parted with any money yet. Hauling water in Tn is a free picnic compared to hauling very expensive water in the dry San Luis Valley. For an excellent description of life in the San Acacio area, check out this article in Central Colorado Magazine written a few years back by a Coloradan who has owned land near San Acacio for years. Spoiler Alert!

She and her husband and others who bought property there could find no better use for it than to turn it into a widlife preserve.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
I know the SLV very well. Around San Acacio is, without doubt, one of the most desolate, Godforsaken places in the whole state of Colorado. I wouldn't pay $25/acre for land there. Just sagebrush and bare dirt, and the bare dirt is winning these days . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado