U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoddington View Post
Hey all, I am currently considering a homestead-type project in the San Luis Valley, and I appreciate all of the great information contained in this thread. I still have a lot of questions, specifically about how to find and choose parcels of land. I'm looking at some of the 35-acre parcels in the Ewing Ranch Sub and trying to find out more about water rights and the best price per acre I can expect. I would prefer land in Saguache, Alamosa, and Costilla Counties. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

I will be glad to help you answer any questions that you have.We lived in Monte Vista for five years and I am familiar with all those areas and can help.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Advertising is not allowed in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,630 times
I wanna built uncoventional housing my way and develope my own off grid home. How tight are they with the building and zoning laws in Alamosa County? I own a 35 acre lot with two wells on it. Can anyone give me any ideas of what to expext with the local government when it comes to building on my property? Weather is not an issue for me and water obviously isnt either.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,455,342 times
Are the wells productive?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Are the wells productive?
And, what type of well permit do they have?

I also find it somewhat clownish that people constantly post about, "What are the building regulations, etc." The easy way to find that out is to call the local planning, zoning, and/or building department for the place in which they want to build and ASK THEM.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM

They gave me a list of 2003 and 2006 building regulations, but i have read a lot about sandbag homes and houses made with haybails. Honestly I was hoping you jazzlover would reply with true knowledge of the area. Sorry to be foolish but I wanted a more direct answer. Thank you

Last edited by jdurb00; 12-04-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,954,423 times
If you want a direct answer then ask a direct question. Call up this number which is provided on the Alamosa County website : Kenneth E. Van Iwarden, Building Inspector Official, Phone: 719-589-3812.

Tell Mr. Iwarden that you "wanna built uncoventional housing my way and develope my own off grid home" and that you "have read a lot about sandbag homes and houses made with haybails" and ask him what zoning regulations and building permits would apply to your situation.

Honestly, I don't see how much more helpful we can be. As far as I'm aware no one on this forum works for Alamosa County, so call up the County building inspector and get your information straight from the horse's mouth.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Sounds like most people who say just ask for help are only meaning people they wanna help... it was quite simple... Are these type of homes built around the area? Is it common or not? Guess I better call somebody all these people who claim to know only have sarcasm.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:05 AM

The people at the county will have all of those answers. Why are you so afraid just to call them? Or do you want "Mommy" to call for you, then give you the answer? No, we're not going to do that kind of direct research for you, then hand you the answer. I know plenty about the SLV, but I don't go out and count straw bale homes there.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 AM

I have called for three days got a run around from the legal offices and no strait answers... I was under the impression you all knew the area well, as you all have stated. So with that knowledge I had hoped to find answers. As I have stated they gave me a list of regulstions online that explained nothing. I appolgize for seeking knowledge where it does not exist.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Look, those county zoning and building officials are going to be the ones who are going to tell you if you are in compliance with the local building and zoning codes, not us. Now, you can find out from them, as best as you can, what will satisfy their codes BEFORE you spend a bunch of money and build something, or you can find out AFTER you've spent a bunch of money and they refuse to give you a certificate of occupancy because what you built didn't meet their codes. And I guarantee you, saying, "Well, somebody on the internet said that these were built all over the SLV, so I thought it was OK" will not cut any ice with them. You're asking on this forum what is legal for you to build in the SLV. No one on this forum can give you that answer--only the regulatory officials where you are going to build can answer that. Simple enough?

Last edited by jazzlover; 12-05-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado