U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurb00 View Post
I have epilepsy, and my wife is a labor and delivery RNC we travel for work. I draw no money from the government for my disabilities and worked 20 years in construction working for what I own. I no longer work because the seizures caused me to be let go due to increased severity. I plan to eventually retire to this area. Currently I own two homes in KY where I spend very little of my time. I did the things suggested to me before posting on this thread, but had hoped I could gain local knowledge of how the area truely is in reguards to buildings... Who would want to spend an outrageous amount on a house they never lived in. I wanted to build unconventionally on the land... Build something I dont already have. I did not mean to cause problems here just looking for a local perspective from real people about it.

Here this: If you have long-term medical issues that require anything beyond fairly basic health care, the SLV--and really most of rural Colorado--is not a place to be. Any truly specialized medical care in the SLV usually means having to travel, at best, to Pueblo, and possibly Colorado Springs, Denver, or Albuquerque. Any of those trips can be grueling if they have to be done on any kind of regular basis. It can be especially trying in winter. People that already have pre-existing medical issues should really consider whether being in a relatively isolated location is a good idea. Even older people in good health should be thinking whether or not they are prepared to relocate out of rural Colorado if they develop a medical condition that requires regular extended out-of-area medical services. I know a lot of rural Coloradans who have had to do just that because of their medical needs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,634 times
I spent most time on the job and I'm not too computer savy yet so I have been unable to find the links you all have generously given me today.
I am about to currently start a job in Espanola NM for the winter. Being just a few hours from my property I should be able to get a better idea of the cold winter there. I drove thru the area and looked at the property before buying it, but didnt get a good look most surrounding areas. I plan to work the land for the next few years getting it ready for construction when the time comes. I would build sooner, but with the theft reported in this forum I would hate to lose too much to vandals in my off seasons. Until my permenant residence there anyway.
I haven't been on the site long and tried to DM yet so I have not contacted explorer-traveler yet. Thank you all again for the help and sorry for any rude comments I might have made.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,483,390 times
I think You'll like Espanola. We spend a lot of time just north of Espanola and 15 miles south of Chama, NM.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
I would love to meetup, I have property as well!

Old 01-11-2015, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 13,941 times
I've read thru most of this thread and I was curious if anyone has any knowledge of the foothills of the Sangre De Cristo Mts in Fort Garland. I purchased a lot that is East and just slightly north of Alamosa on the map. I do see a handful of houses when I look on Google Earth that are down the road in the subdivision. What I'm mainly curious about is how hit or miss are the wells there? It's at the very northern tip of Costilla county in the foothills. 13 Minutes from the center for Fort Garland.

I'm in Illinois so I won't be able to come out until later this year to actually get someone to give me a quote, but I was curious none the less. I have read almost this entire thread and I am aware of the sometimes harsh weather in the area, which doesn't sound that bad, lol. I'll take it over ridiculous hot humid summers and icy winters any day, lol. I can't wait to get out of the corn fields.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM

242 posts, read 263,538 times
Have you gotten a well permit from the State yet? I hope the sale included a right to drill that is already spoken for/in place. Water is precious there and the big ranchers irrigate mucho and have claims to large amounts of water and that impacts how many wells can be drilled. (augmentation plan)

I would advise calling a local well drilling Co. They will certainly know the availability/probability/depth for wells in that specific area....as well (no pun intended) as the costs to drill/etc. A good pump guy (or local electrician) would likely also know this information.

We bought on the other side of the Sangres...and a bit north of Hayden Pass.. I hope it works out for you. Such a pretty area.....

Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks for replying. The land is about 2 hours south of Hayden pass if you take 17 to 160. I'm not sure about well rights yet. It's in the Sangre De Cristo Ranches from what I can gather. It's just a little bit off of 160, 11.5 miles before you get to Fort Garland. I'll see if I can get a hold of someone out there. It's hard when you are from out of state. We bought from BillyLand. We've been looking for a LONG time and this is the first area we could both agree on. We've been to Colorado, but never that area. We do have friends in the state, but they are North of Denver. My husband has hunted in the Gunnison area a few times and we've been to Colorado Springs, Denver, and Estes Park. I wish we could afford Estes Park, lol. Anyway..... If anyone has any info at all about the area I'd love to hear, I've really enjoyed reading on here. I'm going to try and do a search and see if I can find more threads like this. We have building experience since we built most of our current house ourselves, but we've never had to start from complete scratch like this (septic/water). It's been both of our dreams to move out west and we love to be out away from a lot of people. He wants to be near Elk. I wanted Oregon or Idaho, but I did love Colorado, so that's where we are going.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM

^I hope that you like living in a barren, cold, sagebrush desert because that is what that the SLV is. IF you get a well permit, it will not allow you to do any significant outside irrigation, either. The SLV is NOTHING like the Front Range or the mountain resorts of Colorado. People expecting that are in for a huge disappointment. Those subdivision lots in the SLV are dirt cheap for a reason. You are also in for a huge culture shock. Costilla County is one of the most impoverished counties in the entire United States. The SLV is also heavily Hispanic--mostly old-line natives--and Hispanics are actually the majority population in much of the SLV. They can be some of the most decent and kind people that you can imagine, but a lot of Anglos--especially those who have never been around their culture--never learn how to get along with them.

Get ready for temperatures that can go below -20 F. (that's "minus") in the winter, 7"-9" of precipitation for the whole year, and lots of wind and dust.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM

I like the cold, hate rain (at least days of rain in a row I should say), LOVE sun, and have always gotten along with hispanics (at least when I was younger and waited tables around here). They always assumed I'm part hispanic because of my skin coloring so I think that helps, lol. My husband loves Elk hunting so he will be in heaven. I love the time difference and cooler temperatures. It's not uncommon in the summer to be over 100 here and with the humidity it's just ridiculous. We loose power all the time due to tornados or ice storms (and we are IN town). I HATE ice, but love snow. I was so sad I cried when we had to leave Co while we were visiting. We even considered moving to Minnesota, so if that gives you any indication to our love of cooler weather, lol. Oh, and I'm looking forward to not having to mow a lawn!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnzez2 View Post
I like the cold, hate rain (at least days of rain in a row I should say), LOVE sun, and have always gotten along with hispanics (at least when I was younger and waited tables around here). They always assumed I'm part hispanic because of my skin coloring so I think that helps, lol. My husband loves Elk hunting so he will be in heaven. I love the time difference and cooler temperatures. It's not uncommon in the summer to be over 100 here and with the humidity it's just ridiculous. We loose power all the time due to tornados or ice storms (and we are IN town). I HATE ice, but love snow. I was so sad I cried when we had to leave Co while we were visiting. We even considered moving to Minnesota, so if that gives you any indication to our love of cooler weather, lol. Oh, and I'm looking forward to not having to mow a lawn!
One note here--if you "love snow," the SLV is likely to greatly disappoint you. While the mountains around the SLV get a lot of snow, the valley floor of the SLV, being in the rain/snow shadow, generally does not. What the SLV does get is bitterly cold winter temperatures, especially at night, but quite often with no snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado