U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,854 times

Advertisements

see i think there is a LOT of confusion as to what SLV is like climate wise.

most of us have been running around in shorts and short sleeves for at least 2 weeks now lol.. a lot of us have plants in cold frames now and i know of one family that's had spinach growing all winter in a cold frame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 AM

23 posts, read 20,721 times
Really interesting and relevant thread to my current life, since we grow tilapia aquaponics and are visiting and hopefully buying a plot in SLV. Right now we have a 22 acre farm in s. Iowa used for organic grains, gourds, gardens all around with cheap cheap water, a big pond, free range fowl, and tons of perennial herbs. We own a seed business growing organic o.p. seeds. We do a lot of wildcrafting and I am getting my fill of the plants here, the weeds are always out of control! So the low summer temps for outdoor tilapia tanks, and lack of giant (I mean the weeds here get over 9 feet tall everywhere), no weeds in raised beds, as well as the ability to fill gaps in my seed catalogue with desert and sandy growing plants are some of the reasons we are looking at grabbing up 2 sagey SLV 5acre properties for camping on strictly in the summer, to avoid the 120+ weather here, in spring and fall and winter we'd stay in IA, (and winter will be in an unknown place in the future in a warm climate z11ish). Some of my concerns, snakes scorpions and starving and thirsty animal attacks. All we really would want is a bit of brush cleared to put tanks and raised beds and our little caravan, if we got it cleared would barefoot walking be okay? Expensive to clear out a small driveway? Are there a lot of dust storms like sand flying in your face during summer?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 AM

242 posts, read 263,408 times
Before the usual suspect blast you...you might want to read all of this thread and the thread about Colorado's Water/water rights/etc.

In short, the land (those 5 acres for 5K kinda parcels) you might buy in the SLV has NO water for your tanks...nor would you have ANY right to use the water unless it comes with the land....which it doesn't.

IF (big IF) you could get a well permit at all from the State it would certainly be for "household use (indoors) only...no outside irrigation/use whatsoever. (no hose bib nowhere) No gardens...no seed production...etc.

You NEED to visit and do the due diligence on water rights for EACH property. If it is CHEAP land...it's 99.9% of the time DRY land. (not worth a cent/a dime a dozen/etc.)

good luck

Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM

23 posts, read 20,721 times
The property we are looking at has a well permit, but considering we have a giant amish built barn with hundreds of feet of gutter with collection barrels along with a well equipt RO system, we will be okay hauling the water for the aquaponics tanks in the back of our truck. I say naysayers don't mean a thing.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-29-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 05:15 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
kylissa wrote: I say naysayers don't mean a thing.

Actually they do mean a thing. It means they have a negative focus in their lives, and concurrently, a great deal of negativity to deal with...one negative thing after the other in their lives, over and over again. That's the real power of a negative focus.....it attracts MORE negativity!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM

794 posts, read 1,494,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
The property we are looking at has a well permit, but considering we have a giant amish built barn with hundreds of feet of gutter with collection barrels along with a well equipt RO system, we will be okay hauling the water for the aquaponics tanks in the back of our truck. I say naysayers don't mean a thing.
There is a new law that allows you to collect and use the runoff from roofs - but (and this is poorly understood) the water must be used in a manner consistent with your well permit. If you have a household permit for your well, you can use the water you collect... inside your house. Still no irrigation, no livestock watering etc.

Of course, if you purchase water and haul it in, sure - make a swimming pool if you wish.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,398 times
Hello Sam Im Mayla! I hope that we do get to barter and haggle one day!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,854 times
that sounds good, i look forward to it!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 AM

13 posts, read 18,912 times
Default to SLV Sam & Twisted Silver

Hi y'all...I'm Cher. My husband, Doc & I will eventually be in the SLV. More than likely in the San Luis/Chama area. We have land there already (which we are selling, by the way). We're currently trying to get our place in northeast TN sold so that we can get a place & move out there. There's nothing wrong with the land we already have there. We've just reconsidered starting from the bottom up(again! hahaha) We'd rather get a place that already has a house and/or horse set-up. Looking forward to getting to know other folks that will eventually be neighbors

Old 04-23-2015, 03:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
Hello,after reading this forum I'm not sure if we will move to slv, we are with the other dreamers of buying cheap land. And building our own home, we are weary of the 5 acre lots in costilla we have found some 40 acre lots with artesion wells, our biggest concern is water, also we would love to visit, trade, and talk with any fellow homesteaders in the area as for all the negative responses who are you to be rude to newcomers just trying to get info of a place that some of you feel your experts on. Any who if you live or are currently building on land down here shoot me a email and we can visit nschicken8478@gmail.com thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado