Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times

Advertisements

As long as you have deeded water rights or a well with something other than "household use only" designation water should not be a concern on the whole here. Folks should just keep in mind that "cheap" land is DRY land here....no bones about it...and nobody is trying to be an "expert"....it's just a fact that all outsiders need to understand fully. In short, the WATER is more valuable than the LAND here in many instances.

And LOL at the "homesteading" motif. We see the wagon trains all the time here... (rolls eyes)

good luck folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschicken View Post
Hello,after reading this forum I'm not sure if we will move to slv, we are with the other dreamers of buying cheap land. And building our own home, we are weary of the 5 acre lots in costilla we have found some 40 acre lots with artesion wells, our biggest concern is water, also we would love to visit, trade, and talk with any fellow homesteaders in the area as for all the negative responses who are you to be rude to newcomers just trying to get info of a place that some of you feel your experts on. Any who if you live or are currently building on land down here shoot me a email and we can visit nschicken8478@gmail.com thanks
Just keep in mind that having an 'artesian' well on your property doesn't mean that you own the water, nor is it a guarantee that it produces a usable amount of water, or doesn't go dry 11 months out of the year. If the land is cheap, you can be assured it is not a dependable well.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM

331 posts, read 465,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
The property we are looking at has a well permit, but considering we have a giant amish built barn with hundreds of feet of gutter with collection barrels along with a well equipt RO system, we will be okay hauling the water for the aquaponics tanks in the back of our truck. I say naysayers don't mean a thing.
The Colorado General Assembly has killed a bill which would have legalized those collection barrels for rainwater.

There is a law on the books which might allow collection of some rainwater on residential property, if you meet all the criteria. Including that you use the water only for the same purpose for which your well is permitted.

Last edited by Suzatlarge; 05-06-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,150 times
I welcome all the advice harsh or not. Yes I've seen and heard dozens upon dozens of property's abandoned down there. Just a shame ppl are blind and basically getting scammed into buying land and not knowing a lot about it. We have bought some land and are moving down there this week. We are looking forward to it. We are from Wyoming and the land water sand and cactus are the same. I hope to meet and talk with other ppl there to see how and what they have done. And demon rainbow roll your eyes all ya want I know the technical term to of homesteading isn't buying land and building but in today's age of thing there's not many places you can truly homestead. Now back to the nay saying shame on any one ppl are asking for help not looking for UN called for Rudeness

Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times
Good luck chickens. I'll save the eye rolls from here on out til I see how well it all goes for you. Should be a piece of cake for such an experienced "homesteader" such as yourself. Just check/abide by the local codes and State water regulations and you'll be good to go. No problem!

I hope you got one of those properties with a lake like in the sales brochures.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
Really interesting and relevant thread to my current life, since we grow tilapia aquaponics and are visiting and hopefully buying a plot in SLV. Right now we have a 22 acre farm in s. Iowa used for organic grains, gourds, gardens all around with cheap cheap water, a big pond, free range fowl, and tons of perennial herbs. We own a seed business growing organic o.p. seeds. We do a lot of wildcrafting and I am getting my fill of the plants here, the weeds are always out of control! So the low summer temps for outdoor tilapia tanks, and lack of giant (I mean the weeds here get over 9 feet tall everywhere), no weeds in raised beds, as well as the ability to fill gaps in my seed catalogue with desert and sandy growing plants are some of the reasons we are looking at grabbing up 2 sagey SLV 5acre properties for camping on strictly in the summer, to avoid the 120+ weather here, in spring and fall and winter we'd stay in IA, (and winter will be in an unknown place in the future in a warm climate z11ish). Some of my concerns, snakes scorpions and starving and thirsty animal attacks. All we really would want is a bit of brush cleared to put tanks and raised beds and our little caravan, if we got it cleared would barefoot walking be okay? Expensive to clear out a small driveway? Are there a lot of dust storms like sand flying in your face during summer?
This post doesn't make sense. First of all, which "here" is "here" because it seems like you're talking about both Iowa and SLV as being "here" at the same time:
  • Quote:
    I am getting my fill of the plants here, the weeds are always out of control! So the low summer temps for outdoor tilapia tanks, and lack of giant (I mean the weeds here get over 9 feet tall everywhere), no weeds in raised beds
    and then
  • Quote:
    we are looking at grabbing up 2 sagey SLV 5acre properties for camping on strictly in the summer, to avoid the 120+ weather here, in spring and fall and winter we'd stay in IA,
I'm confused because summer temps in southern Iowa don't get to 120 degrees very often if at all, even in heat waves, and if they did, why would you need to worry about the "low summer temps for outdoor tilapia tanks"?

What happens to your Iowa farm/business while you're "camping" in the SLV all summer? Are you planning on fish farming in the SLV?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This post doesn't make sense. First of all, which "here" is "here" because it seems like you're talking about both Iowa and SLV as being "here" at the same time:
  • and then
I'm confused because summer temps in southern Iowa don't get to 120 degrees very often if at all, even in heat waves, and if they did, why would you need to worry about the "low summer temps for outdoor tilapia tanks"?

What happens to your Iowa farm/business while you're "camping" in the SLV all summer? Are you planning on fish farming in the SLV?
Oh, quit being so "mean"! As anyone who has been around the forum for a while knows, critisizing the SLV is like critisizing the Promised Land from the Bible. All replies to SLV threads should be upbeat and supportive, no matter how bizarre the ideas presented by the OP and/or other newbies. Reality simply is not part of the SLV paradigm. So all you dreamers who just purchased 5 acres of sage and saltrush at a "bargain" price, don't you worry. You can do whatever you want there. There are no building regulations, it always rains plenty for whatever crop or critter you're planning on growing there, and if you want to get rid of the saltbrush, just go to the crossroads where Road 12 and highway 142 meet at San Acacio at midnight. Bring a Santo of Smokey the Bear which you have carved yourself from the greasewood growing on your property and bury it on a moonless night. Then turn around 3 times and stamp your foot, and shout "Greasewood be gone! Sic transit gloria Mundi!" You'll be amazed at the results. Maybe.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
CR wrote: Bring a Santo of Smokey the Bear which you have carved yourself from the greasewood growing on your property and bury it on a moonless night. Then turn around 3 times and stamp your foot, and shout "Greasewood be gone! Sic transit gloria Mundi!" You'll be amazed at the results. Maybe.

No MAYBE about it. This IS the way it is done!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Burn her! She's a witch! She turned me into a newt!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
^^^
Nah, I think jazzlover did that right before he moved to Oklahoma. My specialty is pikas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado