U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 4,195 times

Advertisements

Looking at some land here. I own goats and fowl at this time. We want to build an earthship, put up a fence and be left alone. Do neighbors complain about chickens and such? The realtor said swine was only animal restriction. Is this true? If I buy 10-20 acres I basically want to be LEFT ALONE by authorities and neighbors LOL. I also want to be able to water a garden for household consumption without it being a hassle. Plan on using grey water for any water needs outside of a garden and animal watering. We currently uses 3-4 kiddie pools and a water bucket to water our crowd. Is anyone hassled over watering animals? Im not talking large ag just small homestead. Waiting for a call Monday from Costilla county in regards to water usage and septic permit costs and restrictions. If I buy I want to be able to use water for garden and pets without a hassle and without bending or breaking rules. Property is said to have "water rights". Im just waiting for a clarification of what those rights may be or entail. Grew up in NM so Im familiar with "water rights and usage issues" stark nothingness, endless sage and extreme temperature fluxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:03 PM

274 posts, read 399,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You'd think that by my age I'd have ceased to be surprised by the number of people who hope to get something for nothing or the number of people whose knowledge of the West seems to stop with the passage of the Homestead Act of 1862. It would seem that a sizable segment of non-Westerners still believe the West is a place where cheap, arable land is to be had for the taking. If only. Even back in 1862, the land beyond the 100th meridian (ie most of the region we now refer to as "the West") was completely unsuited to agriculture as practiced east of the Mississippi. It was too dry; it is now too dry; and it continues to become only more dry and more inhospitable thanks to global warming. Even 160 acres was not enough to support a family back in the day of the pioneer, nor was even 640 acres. It required massive dam building on the part of the Feds and the construction of irrigation systems that carried water hundreds of miles from its original source in the high Rockies to the flatlands farms in Arizona and California (look how well that experiment is currently working out in California). The people who most benefited from all this were the owners of huge agricultural concerns, the big mining companies and some of the giant logging companies in the PNW. Everyone else was forced out by the Dust Bowl if not sooner.

Please, people please - keep in mind the old warning that "If it sounds too good to be true, it is." There are any number of good properties in the SLV, but they have the prices to match. Remember that when looking at land in the SLV. Visit before you buy. If you can't do even that much, don't expect others to have much sympathy for your plight.
That little phrase hit me the wrong way ... I ended up paying over $10000 for my 'something' which in the end is worth nothing to me now ... also paying the county for the priviledge of 'owning' this nothing ... which by the way is occupied and has been occupied since before I bought it ... the previous owner knew it was occupied but never told me ... (I know it's my fault for buying sight unseen - I was stupid and had stupid dreams) .. I hate myself enough for being an idiot so don't need others telling me. (and by the way this 'seller' is still selling property in SLVR)

Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,486,646 times
No way of getting the occupants off? Can't do anything to the seller? That is horrible!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 3,679 times
Have you looked in to eviction? You should be able to evict easily and not too expensive also. I have to say land anywhere is not useless. Maybe just not user friendly to today's society. We did not start out on this planet with land ready to farm or tools ready to hunt. In this valley you have to think as a pioneer (outside the box). What worked for people in the past may not work here but that just means you need to be innovative in your approach for what you want to accomplish. Land may be cheap here but it is in no way worthless. Might just need to use a bit more elbow grease and realize this isnt your typical American community. To accomplish anything you truly have to work for it or show up with millions of dollar to develop it. Anything can be accomplished with time.
Politics are some of the big causes to why we feel we can't accomplish alot of our goals and it's simply because they do not get taught to think outside the box. It is our job to help them understand that to be in the box may not be the only way to live. Solar, greywater, composting toilets all are old techniques that we moved away from do to corporate policy and greed. Now we need to reteach our society how to live in unison with the world rather than on it. Again No land is worthless!
Btw I make these posts in hopes to keep learning and teaching. I do not intend to hurt people or upset them in any manner. Please feel free to fill me in on any insight you might have to help me grow and understand. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,974,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
That little phrase hit me the wrong way ... I ended up paying over $10000 for my 'something' which in the end is worth nothing to me now ... also paying the county for the priviledge of 'owning' this nothing ... which by the way is occupied and has been occupied since before I bought it ... the previous owner knew it was occupied but never told me ... (I know it's my fault for buying sight unseen - I was stupid and had stupid dreams) .. I hate myself enough for being an idiot so don't need others telling me. (and by the way this 'seller' is still selling property in SLVR)
My apologies. Obviously, I didn't make it clear that I meant people who have never visited the West, never mind the SLV, not so much you specifically. The SLV threads can be hard to reply to year after year, especially when the poster who asks the question has bought property sight unseen and has lost out. Heck, I want something for nothing all the time Like scoring a Ford 150; low mileage, 4wd, locking hubs; TWO gas tanks; a heavy duty brush/cow catcher on the front; great clearance; and the incredible price of only $100 bucks! You bet if THAT one came up, I'd be on the Automotive Forum talking about losing $100 on a pile of garbage.

People need to have as much info as they can when buying anything over a certain dollar amount. Members of the Colorado Forum call tell you that the SLV is uniformingly wonderful or they can post the truth. Me, I'd rather know what is REALLY going on (if I can), and be spared some grief. Folks here are more pragmatic than they are "mean."

- Rambler

Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM

274 posts, read 399,550 times
Quote:
My apologies. Obviously, I didn't make it clear that I meant people who have never visited the West, never mind the SLV, not so much you specifically. The SLV threads can be hard to reply to year after year, especially when the poster who asks the question has bought property sight unseen and has lost out. Heck, I want something for nothing all the time Like scoring a Ford 150; low mileage, 4wd, locking hubs; TWO gas tanks; a heavy duty brush/cow catcher on the front; great clearance; and the incredible price of only $100 bucks! You bet if THAT one came up, I'd be on the Automotive Forum talking about losing $100 on a pile of garbage.

People need to have as much info as they can when buying anything over a certain dollar amount. Members of the Colorado Forum call tell you that the SLV is uniformingly wonderful or they can post the truth. Me, I'd rather know what is REALLY going on (if I can), and be spared some grief. Folks here are more pragmatic than they are "mean."

- Rambler
Well I finally sold this property to the 'squatter' for the huge sum of $2000! I had gotten in touch with the sheriffs dept. - the deputy sheriff suggested I sell after he spoke to the person living on my property. (He actually knew her). I'm just too old to do anything anymore so this was the best solution.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
Well I finally sold this property to the 'squatter' for the huge sum of $2000! I had gotten in touch with the sheriffs dept. - the deputy sheriff suggested I sell after he spoke to the person living on my property. (He actually knew her). I'm just too old to do anything anymore so this was the best solution.
Sounds like you have made the best possible choice for yourself, and maybe even came out ahead if you originally bought the lot for $500.00. Yesterday I was streaming Colorado Public Radio, and one of their news stories was about the region being left high and dry for airline services. I believe that a single airline had been flying into Alamosa, but it is now proposing to drop that town for the foreseeable future, and Alamosa is (was) the only town large enough in the SLV that could support a public airport. News like that makes me even more pessimistic about the future of the SLV.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:03 AM

958 posts, read 721,902 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have made the best possible choice for yourself, and maybe even came out ahead if you originally bought the lot for $500.00. Yesterday I was streaming Colorado Public Radio, and one of their news stories was about the region being left high and dry for airline services. I believe that a single airline had been flying into Alamosa, but it is now proposing to drop that town for the foreseeable future, and Alamosa is (was) the only town large enough in the SLV that could support a public airport. News like that makes me even more pessimistic about the future of the SLV.
Sounds like he paid more than 10k, so 2k is actually a rather large loss.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:28 AM

^^^

My bad. For some reason I got the sum of $500 stuck in my head - probably because that's nearer the true value for many of the SLV's "5 acres with heaven thrown in" land scams.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
I am interested in any news about properties and experience people have with regard to San Louis, CO. I am thinking about relocating with my daughter. Any helpful advice? Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado