U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 10:58 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times

Advertisements

Will you need to work? I love the area and drive through it every year but jobs would be a problem unless you don't need one. Also, water seems to be a big issue on these forums. I am looking at either Trinidad Co or Chama NM which I wouldn't buy without knowing about the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,614 times
Colorado Rambler....calm down! No need for a rude attitude! You did OFFER good information. Just no need for the rash rudeness!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:33 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFLETCHER View Post
Colorado Rambler....calm down! No need for a rude attitude! You did OFFER good information. Just no need for the rash rudeness!
I am quite calm, and if you want to see people with actual "rude attitudes" stick around, I'm an angel of love and light compared with some folks around here. It is not rude to honestly answer people's questions. If you still happen to be around, take a look at the thread, "bought this property" by kylissa below. Lot of discussion about what SLV buyers can be up against, and mostly I see no rude posts, just people who have some experience and are generously sharing what they know.

But have it your way. Coloradans are desperately trying to keep the entire SLV a secret, and/or drive off out-of-staters who have discovered the region despite our best efforts. There are no building codes anywhere in the valley. That nasty mesquite and sage are just a disguise for all the vibrant Kentucky bluegrass which will spring up as soon as the area is subject to a good raking. Remember the old adage "rain follows the plow"? Well, nothing could be more true in the SLV. Don't let all those diatribes about water rights, irrigation, etc. get you down. The SLV lies on top of the most abundent and largest aquifer ever discovered - the Alferd E. Packard Aquifer. Just dig down about 6 feet and you'll hit water plus a couple of other things I won't mention here.

I suggest that everyone who has come across a 5 acre plot of land in the SLV for a mere $5,000 jump on this bargain quickly. Don't come visit first and above all else, don't ask the seller about things like water and zoning regulations. This is considered extremely rude in the Valley, and you do want to step out on your best foot, right?

I do hope this post is read by you and others like you who might think I'm inclined to be rude. In fact, Colorado Rambler strives always to uphold the Cowgirls' Code, part of which states that if a Cowgirl needs a good laugh, she rides Old Paint over to the next county to have it.

Love,
Colorado Rambler (and Old Paint)

Old 08-20-2016, 05:00 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Colorado Rambler wrote: I suggest that everyone who has come across a 5 acre plot of land in the SLV for a mere $5,000 jump on this bargain quickly. Don't come visit first and above all else, don't ask the seller about things like water and zoning regulations. This is considered extremely rude in the Valley, and you do want to step out on your best foot, right?

These are all excellent suggestions! I'd extend the sight unseen purchase for 5 acres to at least $50,000. No sense wasting time, money, and gasoline on a personal inspection, especially when the developers have such an excellent track record of looking out for the buyers best interest, particularly those from out-of-state. 99% + of all out-of-state property purchasers in the SLV are happy campers. And I strongly agree...why waste time asking questions about the property. You can tell by reading the ad, that it's just perfect....gosh darn!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:24 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,107,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFLETCHER View Post
I just went back and looked at the posts by Colorado Rambler on this thread and, frankly, see nothing at all rude in what she had to say. She's just telling you, and other SLV dreamers, what is it really like there. Sometimes the truth can sound negative, but then again the truth can be negative!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
The whole Colorado mountain real estate business has been built off of the dreamers and dream of living in the Colorado Rockies. The fact the federal and state government own most of the nice land in the Rockies warps the market by dramatically reducing the size of decent property to buy. Therefore you either have mega bucks to buy in or you are left with unwanted scraps that are worthless like the SLV.

I think the right thing to do is describe things as they really are. Some people are prepared to deal with a place like SLV but most are not.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,213 times
Me and my wife are moving right outside of Mesita on a 5 3/4 acre.
We are retiring so money is a big issue.
I want to know about local well drillers. Any advise and estimated cost.
Does anyone have solar. Does that provide enough electricity to your home.
What was the cost and size of panels or panels you put up.
Is there anyone who would like to help put a kit home up on our land in May.
What kinds of permits will I need?
Any advise you have for us but run will be appricated.
God bless you

Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsheppard View Post
Me and my wife are moving right outside of Mesita on a 5 3/4 acre.
We are retiring so money is a big issue.
I want to know about local well drillers. Any advise and estimated cost.
Does anyone have solar. Does that provide enough electricity to your home.
What was the cost and size of panels or panels you put up.
Is there anyone who would like to help put a kit home up on our land in May.
What kinds of permits will I need?
Any advise you have for us but run will be appricated.
God bless you
Sounds like you are about to get taken for a ride. My advice- you learn and plan everything out to a T before sticking a shovel in the ground. Know the exact cost, find resources to complete such a home and then add 50% because anything you do in mountain Colorado will always cost more money and time than you expect. This is a low skill, low wage area with few people around that can complete your project and get it done right. Know that going in. You are not building in a metropolitan area loaded with plentiful options for construction services and materials.

Do a search within the Colorado forum here on solar, well drilling, permits and other issues. There is already a wealth of information posted which will further educate you. Read this whole thread, read other threads that are similar.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 AM

242 posts, read 262,758 times
I'm having a Deja' Vu.....but I digress....

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/costillacounty - The County can fill you in on what you can/cannot do on your land according to how it is zoned/etc. They will also be the ones who approve your "kit" home and supervise/regulate how it is constructed (Building Dept/Codes)). They will also govern/set the parameters around the installation of your septic system.

DWR Home - Someone here can tell you if you have the water right to drill a well on that specific piece of property. Not all properties have such rights. As far as costs.... I haven't drilled a well in 20+ years but it was $30 a foot then...so I'm sure it's as much or more now. Figure 20K for well/pump/septic...if you are >lucky<.

Like it or not, you will have a bevy of rules and regs to follow across the board and THAT makes building here an expensive proposition.

Wannaroo's advice is solid. It's hard to get anyone to call you back up here in the hills let alone build something for you >to completion<. If you involve anyone else you can expect it to cost you $100-$150 a sq ft >>minimum<<. (if all goes smooth...and it never does) Costs could go far higher.

If it was a CHEAP to live in the SLV as folks perceive it to be... there would be a solid sea of houses from one end to the other....

good luck (you will need it...along with some serious computer/searching skills and a FAT wallet)

Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,213 times
Default thanks

I want to say thank you to all for your advise. We are tough cookies and feel the SLV is perfect. I realize it is going to be a rough road. But our determination hopefully will get us through the tough spots.
I will keep searching the forums for more info.
What kind of trees can you plant out here that will survive the weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado