U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:15 PM

664 posts, read 651,308 times

Advertisements

Cool thread. I hope you continue to update us.

I ran across this guy's cool experience out there.

The Hermitage

Does anyone you know have altitude issues at this height?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 AM

9 posts, read 33,250 times
Default Going Solar in SLV

I have a 16x60 manufactured home which I plan to move to my 5-acre parcel in SLVR this upcoming summer. And as it would cost way to much to bring electricity to the parcel and wanting to get off the grid anyway. I am not completely sure how to turn a home to solar, what I need and how to do it. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Not sure if I need to hire someone to do it or if I can do it myself without fail?

Also, if anyone can recommend someone who is reliable to punch a well and septic, could you please let me know. Not sure what the average depth has to be for a well?

Last edited by 3BratDogs; 11-01-2011 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BratDogs View Post
I have a 16x60 manufactured home which I plan to move to my 5-acre parcel in SLVR this upcoming summer. And as it would cost way to much to bring electricity to the parcel and wanting to get off the grid anyway. I am not completely sure how to turn a home to solar, what I need and how to do it. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Not sure if I need to hire someone to do it or if I can do it myself without fail?

Also, if anyone can recommend someone who is reliable to punch a well and septic, could you please let me know. Not sure what the average depth has to be for a well?
Visit the American Solar Energy Society site and look on the right side for installers.

Google for things like energy audits, energy planning, going off grid, etc.

There is a significant all-day event in Monte Vista on 04 Nov 2011 if you can make it there, see the details here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-01-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,304 times
Default Homesteading in SLV

I'm glad to see people on this post. My husband and I just finished paying off our 40 acre tract in the SLV just south of Alamosa. One of our neighbors was telling us you can get a permit to "capture" dead wood in the San Juan park to the West. I guess you'd need to talk to the Rangers (one of the offices is on Highway 160/285 just west of Monte Vista I believe or between Monte Vista and Alamosa. Depending on your capabilities, you might be able to find wood for both building and burning.

You do need 35 acres minimum to have a well permit in Conejos County but I'm not sure that applies to other counties.

We plan to try to start building this coming summer on our place. But wells in our area tend to run at least 600 feet. Good luck! I would like to hear how you have fared.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaldonado View Post
I'm glad to see people on this post. My husband and I just finished paying off our 40 acre tract in the SLV just south of Alamosa. One of our neighbors was telling us you can get a permit to "capture" dead wood in the San Juan park to the West. I guess you'd need to talk to the Rangers (one of the offices is on Highway 160/285 just west of Monte Vista I believe or between Monte Vista and Alamosa. Depending on your capabilities, you might be able to find wood for both building and burning.

You do need 35 acres minimum to have a well permit in Conejos County but I'm not sure that applies to other counties.

We plan to try to start building this coming summer on our place. But wells in our area tend to run at least 600 feet. Good luck! I would like to hear how you have fared.
Forest permits are NOT free and they are limited--information here:

Rio Grande National Forest- Forest Products Permits

By the way, it's the Rio Grande National Forest, not the "San Juan Park." And, cutting and hauling firewood is hardly cheap, easy, or "free" fuel.

Well permits are regulated by the State Engineer's office, info here:

http://water.state.co.us/DWRIPub/Doc...ermitguide.pdf

Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Curious to know the cost of drilling a well....is it priced by the foot, plus materials?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times
Me too!

Old 11-25-2011, 04:44 PM

840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Curious to know the cost of drilling a well....is it priced by the foot, plus materials?
When I was looking into it I found information on pricing to be almost covetously guarded. Strange.....

Anyway, what I did eventually discover is that I was looking at about $10-$12 per foot. This was in 2006, so I'm sure it's changed now...

Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,139 times
am a senior-senior thinking to move to alamosa for adams state masters degree
what is available nearby rental situation (have dog and cat)? ...in 4-500/mo. bracket?
applaud your homesteading effort!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM

82 posts, read 177,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It is priced per foot. It's $20 to $25 per foot to drill plus fees, the cost of the pump, well-head, house, cistern and pressure tanks. I haven't seen a domestic solar cell array and battery bank that can pump water from that deep a hole. I'm sure they exist, at a high cost. I think the average depth of a domestic well may be 250 to 300 feet. I am not sure of that one but those ranges seem to ring a bell. Some places around the valley maybe 1200 feet while others might be a 100 or less while others will be paying for dry holes. It's a pig in a poke. Further since most water districts require owning a minimum of 35 acres to irrigate 1 in the valley, I'm sure that the state will require a septic system be installed as well since it's assumed that a parcel smaller than 35 acres doesn't qualify for agricultural use. So, one can figure on a minimum investment of $15K to $20K for the water and sewer only. What I wonder is if connection to the grid or a massive power source be available before work can begin is required.

If it were me, I'd buy a place in town on a reliable water supply and public utilities and in close proximity of public safety rather than hope my well doesn't run dry as some have over the past and continuing La Nina weather patterns have affected valley. Not to mention the real agricultural use cultivating potatoes and alphalpha reduce the water tables as well.

One more things readers may or may not know is that all counties in Colorado require building permits and conformity to local building codes for safety reasons. Get caught building or setting up a mobile home without a permit and face a fine. Get caught doing something you shouldn't and it can get quite nasty. Get caught doing something you shouldn't with water and well you better have some really deep pockets for the lawyer and fines.

Like you've posted before and having grown up there, I am in agreement with you that the SLV's valley floor where the bargain lots of 5 to 40 acres are are pretty worthless except if you want to camp. No water rights, no lawn or large garden if you want one. Further, everyone I know has been broken into at least once when living out so far from the cops. Living off the grid right now might be the only option. One thing I do know is that I wouldn't leave my stuff unattended for too long.

Long winded reply but I hope it answers you question and perhaps provided more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado