U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,893 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Colorado next year and would like any suggestion on a good city to move to. Some background info.... I was stationed in Colorado 5 years ago, I'm now back in Florida. I lived in Aurora, Co for 2 years. I didn't like it there at all. I'm a Florida girl and love water and trees. Aurora was too dry and barren for me. I liked Denver but not a placed were I'd want to live, I'm more into small towns. I visited Boulder a couple of times and really liked it, but I hear the cost of living is high. I'm a RN and would like to get a job at one of the Children's Hospitals in Colorado. Is there a good place in Colorado where I can have a Lake/Forrest nearby, a Children's Hospital, and a somewhat small city/town??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,620,117 times
"Looking for a good city to move to with lots of water and trees"
I think you are moving to the wrong state.
Unless you want to move to Dillon, Leadville (Turqouise lake), Granite (Clear Creek Reservior) or Twin Lakes it's going to be pretty brown and dry, good luck. RP

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 AM

840 posts, read 2,034,543 times
Most all of Colorado is classified as semi-arid. There is precious little water here. 8-9 months out of the year, most of the state is brown and dry.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,163,135 times
I moved from Florida also, Florida is mostly a swamp nothing here really compares. There are some scattered lakes in the city but nothing really forest like, you'd probably have to be out in the mountains like someone else suggested, like near Dillon.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
Idaho might be a better fit for the OP, or many of the eastern states. Arkansas has quite a few lakes in the greater Hot SPrings area.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,201,424 times
I only know of two Children's hospitals in CO, one being in Denver and the other Colorado Springs. Both are pretty big cities. You aren't going to find specialty hospitals in small towns. You might consider Colorado Springs though. You could live in some of the small towns to the west, such as Manitou Springs or Woodland Park. You would be in the trees (pine) and close to the rivers and small lakes. However, I would secure employment before committing to the move, as it can be difficult to get a RN position at any hospital, let alone a specialty one.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,839,172 times
Wink As possibility

Boulder is expensive, but does have pediatric hospitals. Obviously the greater market is in Denver, but if one does not wish to live there why bother? If Boulder, one could live in one of the nearby outlying towns less expensively. As nice as Boulder might be, however, it is at but not in the mountains. A perfectly happy compromise for many. Then of course as the front range contains most of Colorado's population, also the most opportunities.

Within the mountains there would such locations as Summit County, and this surely one of the stronger markets. There is a hospital in Frisco, but you will probably find in such situations that medicine is more of an ad hoc affair, with a variety of small practitioners rather than large institutions.

Durango is an attractive town at the southern edge of the San Juan Mountains, if not exactly in them. In conjunction with nearby Farmington, NM to the south, it serves as the regional center for the Four Corners region. Thus has hospitals, although none devoted to pediatrics as far as I know. But this service is of course offered in the area.

What you are likely to find is an increasing coalescing of such services in the larger institutions in larger markets, with diminishment of service availability in rural areas. Those surviving in the hinterland will likely be smaller, more informal practices. Bare in mind that I am no physician, but the overlying trend in this nation and state's economy seems fairly clear, with at least some in service and infrastructure having been built in the last several decades being lost in the coming years.

Others will remind you of how difficult this local economy presently is for most any profession. That you will be competing for possibly fewer positions with those already employed here with connections. Perfectly true, although people do retire and otherwise move on. If not the front range, then you will be dealing with a much smaller and fragmented market. That can pose challenge but also opportunity. If flexible, and willing to work on a more individual basis, there may be opportunities others fixated on larger institutions would not look for or see.

As for the environment, if you liked Boulder then already understanding that as lovely as Colorado can be that it is not an equivalent to either west or east coast in abundance of water or foliage. In appearance all the less so come winter. But a beauty all its own, however one may hold that. In water, an aerial view of Boulder and other front range environs will reveal a surprising number of large ponds, at least some I believe with public access. Then of course from Boulder there is the canyon just to the west with its lovely river. If it is rivers alone, that region, extended to contain Rocky Mountain National Park, offers a relative abundance of some of the most lovely mountain rivers one is ever likely to find. If a number of smaller lakes, larger lakes are not as prevalent as elsewhere. But there would be, for instance, the large reservoir for sailing between Dillon and Frisco, or Vallecito Reservoir in the mountains near Durango. Not far southeast of that town is the larger Navajo Reservoir, snaking between bluffs of sandstone rock.

It is what it is, or would be.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 12,341 times
The major hospitals in Colorado are in Denver. Denver has some nice city parks with small lakes but I wouldn't move for that. What we do have is rivers for fishing, kayaking and rafting. If you don't love camping, hiking, skiing, etc., the higher cost of living in the mountains won't be worth it. Glenwood Springs has a beautiful, modern hospital. They are currently building a new cancer treatment center. Glenwood Springs is historic and situated between Aspen and Vail. It is at the confluence of the Colorado and Roaring Fork Rivers. Glenwood Springs is dry as well...the greenest areas of Colorado do get the most snow...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,847,978 times
Boulder does not have a children's hospital. It has a community hospital, appropriately named "Boulder Community Hospital" that has a small pediatric unit.

The Children's Hospital in Colorado Springs is a 25 bed unit that is a part of TCH Denver.

Pediatric Care Locations - The Children's Hospital-Denver Area, Colorado, Rocky Mountain Region

There are not a lot of lakes in Colorado, and not a lot of forest in the populous areas of the state.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM

84,989 posts, read 98,847,978 times
I forgot about this children's hospital when posting last night:

Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children - Hospital for Children Denver | Kids Health Denver | Pediatric Emergency Denver

It has several locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or