U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 13,180,331 times
Reputation: 6912

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How come nobody on here ever asks about moving there and opening a gas station or plumbing supply store?
There are no secret family plumbing or gas station recipes. All these "wanna be" chefs have these hidden preparations that are going to WOW the culinary world.

Yet a plumbing supply store and a gas station would be more welcomed and needed in these mountain ski communities than another fluff, fancy, fleecing, fleeting, frivolous dining establishment. Ah, but they would not have the bragging BS when they SKI and swishingly proclaim that "I own Chez Moi".

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 AM
 
168 posts, read 324,018 times
Reputation: 138
Sorry to disappoint you, Livecontent, but I too have a background in restaurants, catering, and even the latest fad of the food truck......I've been "all things" except chef, so you have that edge.....The first decade of my working life was in Italian family owned restaurants, not to mention a few pizza chains and high end fine dining establishments, as well.....

I've witnessed just about every ugly truth in the food business......and the few with the best food, best business sense, tons of money behind it to "make it work", still failed because the owners lacked the passion for what they had in front of them.....Sorry to hear that your experiences made you bitter or weary; but for everyone that have those same bad experience(s) there are as many who haven't and managed to make it work for them......

Last edited by naturegirll; 02-16-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 AM
 
168 posts, read 324,018 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How come nobody on here ever asks about moving there and opening a gas station or plumbing supply store?
Sounds boring to most creative types
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Reputation: 6816
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
Sounds boring to most creative types
Perhaps they just have't visualized the joy they'll bring getting others back on the road or coming up with the right toilet parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 13,180,331 times
Reputation: 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, Livecontent, but I too have a background in restaurants, catering, and even the latest fad of the food truck......I've been "all things" except chef, so you have that edge.....The first decade of my working life was in Italian family owned restaurants, not to mention a few pizza chains and high end fine dining establishments, as well.....

I've witnessed just about every ugly truth in the food business......and the few with the best food, best business sense, tons of money behind it to "make it work", still failed because the owners lacked the passion for what they had in front of them.....Sorry to hear that your experiences made you bitter or weary; but for everyone that have those same bad experience(s) there are as many who haven't and managed to make it work for them......
Yes, you are correct, money, best food and business sense, does not buy sucess in the business--it does take that passion. Some people have found the business very fulfilling but from experience it is a smaller percentage than you believe.

I do also have many years of experience in many aspects of the food industry. Yes, I did get weary and worn out but that is the norm for many of my associates. From talking to many of fellow students at the CIA, most have experienced the same difficulties in the industry and have left it early in their lives. Many of these people, going to these expensive culinary schools are going to be very disappointed; waste a great deal of money and time to go into a business that will not value their education, but only needs their excessive labor for low wages/long hours/miserable benefits--as long as they are young and able to perform hard labor; when you get older then you will be replaced by the younger crowd of "dreamers" from these schools. Few of us will be a "star" on the food network.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, you are correct, money, best food and business sense, does not buy sucess in the business--it does take that passion. Some people have found the business very fulfilling but from experience it is a smaller percentage than you believe.

I do also have many years of experience in many aspects of the food industry. Yes, I did get weary and worn out but that is the norm for many of my associates. From talking to many of fellow students at the CIA, most have experienced the same difficulties in the industry and have left it early in their lives. Many of these people, going to these expensive culinary schools are going to be very disappointed; waste a great deal of money and time to go into a business that will not value their education, but only needs their excessive labor for low wages/long hours/miserable benefits--as long as they are young and able to perform hard labor; when you get older then you will be replaced by the younger crowd of "dreamers" from these schools. Few of us will be a "star" on the food network.

Livecontent
You've made a lot of great points and if I can add, I think a lot of it comes down to people have to get that doing something as a hobby and then as a career/business is two separate things. A lot of people like to do things for fun, but would they really want to do them for work? Or have the commitment to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top