U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM

81 posts, read 175,086 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Iowa my whole life. We're an outdoor type family. There aren't many good places to hike around us. The ones that are we've been the 100's of times and really they aren't that interesting.
See we hate the humidity, well during the summer. We don't have A/C and I'd really rather just deal with the heat and save money. So some place that's not so humid you can't sleep at night because it's still 90's and you could cut the moisture in the air with a knife would be nice.

I've always wanted to just see mountains. Would LOVE to live by them or up in them, but, probably not going to happen.
I have a real distaste for Iowa. I'm tired of seeing just corn and cows. And like I said our parks here are bla at best. Iowa is one of the very few states that doesn't have ANY National Park in it. Most of the others are tiny states on the east coast.
I like to mess around with google earth, and I turned on the Parks/Recreation Areas and the Midwest is barren. Nothing here.
I'm sure there's good to be found here, but that good got old a long time ago. lol.

I'm actually not going to go back to the other thread I made in Boise, cause it's just to frustration. So thank you much for the input and advice.

*Edit* wow 2 people posted while I was typing.
I'll be driving out. That's why honestly I would like to find something in CO. If I don't/can't find anything in ID, then I'll move on to Bend, OR. The thing with Bend is it looks expensive to live there. Or Redmond, OR only for the fact the girls can walk around topless and go skinny dipping legally. Sorry I'm a guy and it's close to Bend.
But again from what bestplaces states, it's a bit more expensive to live there also.

Last edited by TravelingSilvers; 02-09-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 PM

345 posts, read 758,656 times
Since you are driving I am also going to suggest you look at Missouri. I found it to be very pretty there. People are very nice, I know lots who farm there.
I was looking at houses on 10 or more acres for another member on here and you can buy a house and have a cheaper mortgage payment then rent. I saw a few houses in the 50k range, not on acreage, and a few houses with acreage in the low 100k range.

Since you are driving it does not hurt to look, I am jealous of all their trees. I am not a fan of country music but I think they have some festival or whatnot going on in Branson? I do not recommend KS, it is just as boring as Iowa. Do not drive through it if you are sleepy, lol. It is boring and flat and takes 6 or more hours...yawn. Not to insult your state but when we drive through it I would say to my kids "look CORN!!" Then a few miles later I would say the same thing, lol that is all you really would see from the highway. Not exciting at all.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Thank you gmm. I'm not thrilled about being that close to Iowa, but I wouldn't mind living on some acreage.
Since it's been suggested before, I might just have to take a gander at the Missouri Area (Southern Ozark Area).
I'm really not looking forward to driving since I have to do it alone, so closer is better, but I'm also looking to get far away from Iowa.
I'll have to look into Missouri more. Thanks again.

Well after just check out some cities in Missouri, I found out it's still freezing there. Most the cities I checked are in the negatives, which is what we want to get away from.

Last edited by TravelingSilvers; 02-10-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
Traveling Silvers wrote:
Just stinks when you get really excited about something, just to have people tell you, you can't do it, or it won't work. It's frustrating and honestly pissed me off (which I know I shouldn't have let it).
Remember the words of Henry David Thoreau, which go something like this:
What others say you cannot do, you try and find you CAN.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

345 posts, read 758,656 times
Ok I am throwing out some houses, ideas. Now the Springfield area is to the South, far from Iowa Fairly close to AK, it is farther South then CO, and much farhter South then ID so maybe it is a bit warmer?

I have driven through IA and MO and they are very different, like I said I dislike driving through IA, very boring, but I like driving through MO, it is very pretty. There are things to do there and etc.

I know how you feel about the negative temps, I am so over it this Winter. Yesterday morning it a balmy -6 here, this morning I did not even want to look!

This house for example if you bought it would cost you about $600 a month for the mortgage, now it is a good sized property 28 acres that if you have the funds and etc you can put a nice little modular on it for the in-laws. They can have their own space and no one feels on top of each other. Provided they do not need constant care.

Real estate listing for 550 Country Haven Ln Chadwick MO - Home for Sale - MLS #1006210 - Realtor.com®

17552 S 2025 Rd Fair Play MO Home for Sale - Real Estate Listings - MLS #1004661 - Realtor.com®

Live in/really near the city itself. This one needs paint for sure and a new kitchen floor, lol

3132 W Ellison Dr Springfield MO Home for Sale - Real Estate Listings - MLS #1015011 - Realtor.com®

Like I said since you will be driving it does not hurt to look. Whatever happens, where ever you go, I hope you find something. Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Thank you for those inspiring words Cosmic.
Yeah, I told them thank goodness I'm not a pessimist when they said we wouldn't be able to.
But, on the other hand when people tell me I can't do something, it makes me try that much more to do it.
Thank you again.

Checked out quite a few cities in Missouri and they almost all seemed to have a pretty high crime rate. Still looking though.

Wow those are some nice houses there gmm. I LOVE the way the first one looks. It's just I'm not sure we're up for buying a house in a new area right away, but man that Log cabin looking house is NICE and cheap.
Hmmmmm, very tempting.
Thank you much for those links.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,748 times
Believe it or not, growth is coming to Grays Harbor county in the State of Washington with new job opportunities arising in Elma and Aberdeen in particular. One can find a reasonable home with multiple bedrooms and reasonable access to care for elderly parents here. The further inland one lives in this county, the more sun one will typically see. We are reasonably close to the Olympic and the Cascade mountains, have many recreational waterways and are in close proximity to the Pacific Ocean. The cost of living here is very reasonable and we have an amazing amount of resources available in our community, including Olympic Area Agency on Aging. We are reasonably close to the cities of Olympia and the Centralia / Chehalis. Our commute here is typically free of significant congestion excepting for weekend / recreational seasons such as clam season.....

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for that information EvLong. I'll have to look into that area and see what I can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or