Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM

17 posts, read 40,590 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if many people know about the new gift card law in Colorado? We are staying with family here in Colorado and we got a number of gift cards for Christmas. I have a love hate relationship with the cards since they are convenient, but we end up having a small amount go unused. Since this happens a lot in our family I thought I would find out what the law was for getting cash back in Colorado. There is new law that states "The issuer shall redeem the remaining value of a gift card for cash if the amount remaining is five dollars or less on request of the holder".

We went shopping today and there was a $3.57 balance on a gift card for my daughter. I asked for cash back and they wouldn't give it to me. I'm trying to decide if I should let this go or pursue my $3.57 Since we haven't lived here in a few years I don't know just how much exposure this new law got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
I didn't know about but it makes sense now. I bought something at Target and paid with a gift card. Some of it rang up wrong so I went to customer service and they adjusted the price. I asked if they needed the gift card number to put it back on and she said that under $5 they give cash back.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,226 times
It went in to affect August 22, 2010. If you have $5 or less left on the card, you can ask for the cash back. Ask to talk to a manager and have them search the law on the web under "Gift Card Law Colorado"

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 40,590 times
Well it's nice to see that Target knows about the law. I called the store back the next day to talk to a manager and they still said sorry we can't do that. I even quoted the law. I emailed the company and we'll see what happens. It's just such a pain having less than $5 left on a gift card because I end up spending more just to use that balance. We'll see what happens.

I hope at least others will learn about this law. Only a small amount of states let you get money back when there is a small balance left on your gift card.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlow3 View Post
Well it's nice to see that Target knows about the law. I called the store back the next day to talk to a manager and they still said sorry we can't do that. I even quoted the law. I emailed the company and we'll see what happens. It's just such a pain having less than $5 left on a gift card because I end up spending more just to use that balance. We'll see what happens.

I hope at least others will learn about this law. Only a small amount of states let you get money back when there is a small balance left on your gift card.
Sounds like it would make great fodder for one of those class action suits you get notified about in the mail once in a while where the attorneys at Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe get millions while you get discount coupons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado