U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,929 times

Advertisements

Has a possibility to move to the Durango area in the near future, By looking the real estate from cohomefinder.com, I am a bit confused with the value of the Durango real estate.

Some houses with similar setting, the per sq price could different $50+, the distance maybe just within 1 to 5 miles, to whoever lives there, please let me know some of the principle to pick a home, and if you know which sub-division or which region are better of raising kids (close to school etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

118 posts, read 268,052 times
I think this depends almost entirely on personal preference. I don't think you can go too far wrong with schools, as everyone rolls up to just a couple of middle shools and one high school.

There are some "subdivisions" that offer more space and generally larger homes, like Rafter J and Trappers Crossing west of town. The Edgemont, Songbird and Ute subdivisions east of town are more compact, but many of the homes are quite nice. Then there are the golf-centric areas - Dalton Ranch, Skyview etc.

There are also some very nice places that aren't in sudivisions, like those on county road 250 and a few up Junction Creek.

Prior to selling our house back East, we rented a place here for a month to get a better feel for the place before committing. I'd strongly sugest at least a week long visit to see the place for yourself if at all possible.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM

106 posts, read 331,587 times
The Trapper's Crossing, Shenandoah, and Rafter J subdivisions fall into Fort Lewis Mesa school district so despite being 5-7ish from town the elem students have to go to a school that is another good 10+ miles past the subdivisions. I know a number of families that has caused serious issues for. There are limited ways around it, applying for one of the very few spots in one of the in-town schools or going to private schools. It isn't that the school is bad, it is not, none of the Durango school are, but that logistics can a problem. Some subdivisions out of town get routed to the in-town schools, The Durango Wests, Edgemonts, anything up Florida Road.

As far as the price differences. Different subdivisions are just well, different, and some you pay for that. Some rural ones have unpaved roads, Edgemont Highlands has a community center, the original Edgemont does not. Durango West 2 has a playground, and is newer/nicer houses then Durango West 1. Some have extensive trail systems built through the subdivisions, Edgemont and Durango West 2 come to mind for that. It is really hard to get a feel for how the subdivisions even a mile apart are different when you are only looking online.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

jchasse and amb8301,

Thank you for the valuable information and insight, that's what I needed, a nice local viewpoint. It is very difficult to understand from online, however at the upcoming weeks I will go one day to check out the surrounding and some properties, I know it is not enough time but better than nothing at this point.

To handle the one day well, I would like to know - should I check out Bayfield properties as well? By not knowing anything, I personally prefer Durango properties just based on what I read so far.

Thank you.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,170,969 times
If you have kids going to school be very careful. many subs dont have bus service so you will need a good 4x4 or snowmobile to get them to the bus stop.some are quite ridiculous with long winding unplowed roads.better to live in a town or established neighborhood with bus stops. also watch out for rabid HOA's they will break you fast. This aint the wild west anymore the rich second home idiots that just come in the summer have ruined the Durango area for the locals. please visit and check out any subdivision first some are ok most will break you

Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB8301 View Post
Some subdivisions out of town get routed to the in-town schools, The Durango Wests, Edgemonts, anything up Florida Road..
Is Florida still pronounced "Fluh-ree-duh" by the locals?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM

118 posts, read 268,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is Florida still pronounced "Fluh-ree-duh" by the locals?
Yep.

As far as Durango having been "ruined" for locals is concerned, that's absolutely not been my experience. When we were looking to buy, the HOA fees were very reasonable compared to back East. (we're in an aurguably "upscale" neighborhood, and our fees are just over $200 per YEAR, which covers infrastructure repairs, snow plowing, road maintenance etc.) Add to that property taxes that are literally 1/13th of what we paid for a comparably priced house in the Northeast, and better community services here, and it seems pretty great here to us!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM

106 posts, read 331,587 times
As far as looking at Bayfield it depends, do you want to be based primarily out of Durango or not? While many that live in Bayfield do work out of Durango, some manage to stay over there. Schools obviously then would be Bayfield schools, nothing wrong there. There is limited shopping and activities for children, for most of that you would have to come to Durango. It can end up to be a lot of back and forth just depending on your wants and needs.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM

AMB8301,

got it, I have two 9 and 6 yo, definitely need lots of kids activities, along with their friends and families, i am not a big fan in hunting, but are open to any other outdoor activities.

it seems durango should still be my first choice, i shall find something there.

thank you all for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado