U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I am looking to possibly move to Colorado in the coming year. I am looking for a place that has a community feel, LOW crime, scenic views, nice people, lots to do. I currently live in NJ and have lived here my whole life and cant stand the city like atmosphere here any longer. Not to mention the crime, the pollution, the trashiness and so forth...can anyone reccommen nice areas in Colorado?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,413,601 times
Evergreen or...Montrose.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Just curious. There are some nice parts of New Jersey and neighboring states that don't have all the negatives you mention but have more of the things you're used to. Why don't you folks ever look to locating there rather than picking up and moving 2,000 miles to a foreign place with a totally different culture, where you have no friends or family? Wouldn't it be better to think about moving somewhere where you already know where the nice spots are? I don't get this idea of moving somewhere you've never been and know nothing about.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempo View Post
Hi everyone...I am looking to possibly move to Colorado in the coming year. I am looking for a place that has a community feel, LOW crime, scenic views, nice people, lots to do. I currently live in NJ and have lived here my whole life and cant stand the city like atmosphere here any longer. Not to mention the crime, the pollution, the trashiness and so forth...can anyone reccommen nice areas in Colorado?

Thanks!!
Umm... Most of Colorado?

Seriously though, you need to be more specific.

Low Crime: Most areas of Colorado fit this criteria
Scenic Views: Look out the window. If you are in Colorado, the views are probably pretty darn good.
Nice People: Opinions about Coloradans differ, but I think we are very friendly.
Lots to do: This is subjective. What do you want to do? You can hike, bike, camp, bowl, kayak, raft, ride horses, shop, see movies, go to a rodeo, attend concerts, go to museums, eat out, etc. The possibilities are endless, but if you don't tell us what you want or like, we can't help you, and if you are looking for great nightlife, then stay out east.

Compared to the east, Colorado is slower, cleaner, sunnier, healthier, newer, and more sprawled out. The people are nice, but somewhat reserved. The area is as modern as anyplace in the world. We don't ride horses or ski to work (as some easterners have asked me before), we don't have great Italian food (but the Mexican food is off the charts), we don't have as much diversity as many big cities, nor is public transportation really great. We live mostly in single family houses with yards, we have to drive nearly everywhere we want or need to go, we love the Broncos (had to get that one in), we love our dogs and the outdoors.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 AM

168 posts, read 323,547 times
When we first started looking to move to CO we flew into Stapleton (lol shows ya how long ago that was), rented a vehicle and drove around the entire state.....it takes a while, but not only is it a good way to find a the right fit - it makes a great scenic vacation.....

Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
When we first started looking to move to CO we flew into Stapleton (lol shows ya how long ago that was), rented a vehicle and drove around the entire state.....it takes a while
A lot of easterners cannot fathom the vastness of the American west until they come out here and drive around. For example, I-25 from border to border between NM to WY traverses 300 miles of COLO. Comparatively, DC to NYC is only 240 miles and encompasses some of the most densely populated areas in the nation. Driving I-70 across KS is about 425 miles, i.e., DC to Boston kind of mileage. And then there's TX, which is 773 miles across at it's widest point.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,391,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just curious. There are some nice parts of New Jersey and neighboring states that don't have all the negatives you mention but have more of the things you're used to. Why don't you folks ever look to locating there rather than picking up and moving 2,000 miles to a foreign place with a totally different culture, where you have no friends or family? Wouldn't it be better to think about moving somewhere where you already know where the nice spots are? I don't get this idea of moving somewhere you've never been and know nothing about.
What a horrible concept....Chasing a dream ........I did just that, packed my crap and moved 2,000 miles just to get away from the South East.....and I haven't looked back once

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 PM

10,516 posts, read 11,623,635 times
Anywhere along the western slope really. You should come visit first.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
What a horrible concept....Chasing a dream
Guess I'm not a hopeless romantic. I don't dream about moving places I've ever been and know nothing about. But to each his own.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM

145 posts, read 330,006 times
Anywhere is better than NJ but that doesn't mean that CO will be a good fit. How do you define "nice people"? That's quite subjective. Ditto for "community feel." East coast mentality is much different than the western mentality. Don't want to stereotype but it's true. As all else say, visit first. Many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or