U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM

151 posts, read 650,782 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget the tradeoff here. A very mild and short winter means a very hot and long summer here in the sunny and dry Southwest US, even where there are mountains. And let's also not forget the fact that the entire SW area is suffering from a long-term drought (can you say wildfires, everyone?)

I'm right outside Boulder, CO, (since 1966) and we've recently had more 100 degree days than I can ever remember plus several "extreme" winters lately, e.g. no snow and very mild, then 9 FEET of snow -- and we now regularly get pollution alerts in both the summer and the winter.

Right now we've got an "extreme" fire danger level, and I can't get the house to cool off at night -- which used to be a given even during the dog days of summer. And the "monsoons", which used to cool us off most afternoons, seem to have pretty much disappeared.

How about northern California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 10:34 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Over here on the western slope, in Grand Junction there have been only 2 days since June 19th where the high temp failed to reach 95 or more, including 10 days of triple digit highs. There have been a few overnight lows in the 70's. It's been a hot summer!

blessings...Franco

Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,772,619 times
Default About Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I doubt Colorado really has what you're looking for. I think many of us enjoy our winters, but I wouldn't categorize them as "very, very mild," particularly not in the mountains. The closest we have to a "mild winter" is probably Grand Junction due to the fact that it receives little winter precipitation, but even there periods of Arctic cold are not uncommon.

You may want to confine your search to New Mexico or points beyond, but I wouldn't characterize anything north of Albuquerque as "very, very mild" either, particularly not in New Mexico's mountains. In fact, the climate in New Mexico's mountains is very much similar to that of Colorado's mountains. Even in Albuquerque, which I personally think has a delightful climate, it is not unheard of to have a foot or more dumping of snow at a time (it did happen twice this last winter) To have a truly mild climate in New Mexico, you would really have to head further south to Las Cruces or Alamagordo, though even there occasional snow is not unheard of and wintertime nightly lows still average in the twenties.

I do like the western U.S. climate, but you have to understand that our dry air has dramatic temperature swings. You'll rarely find a place that isn't either extremely hot or extremely cold, sometimes both in the same year. It is true that the dry air doesn't feel as hot or as cold as temperature would indicate, but it's something to keep in mind.
This past winter Albuquerque was hit with a foot of snow, but it's the first time that has happened in the city's history. The climate changes once you go north of Albuquerque on I-25, towards Santa Fe, that's when you begin to gain serious elevation. In fact, the entire fauna changes between Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM. Albuquerque is a happy medium of sorts, if you are looking to avoid super hot summers and blustery winters. I live in Las Cruces, and it gets up to 100 in June, then cools down in July and August, at the expense of higher humidity. However, being from Long Island, the humidity here is not like that back east. I am spoiled now, I am originally from New Jersey, and in July the humidity creeps above 50%, and I don't like it. Meanwhile, talking with my mom on the phone in NJ, she tells me the humidity there is 80%. Keep in mind, this is the most humid it gets. After Labor Day, from Albuquerque to points south, you will not experience precipitation for the most part until the following June. From Oct 4th 2005 to June 21st 2006, we did not have one inch of precipitation in Las Cruces. That winter the lowest high temperature was maybe 48 degrees.(This past winter was cooler though) More often than not (in Las Cruces) the high temp was between 55 and 65 degrees. It's not like Phoenix or Florida in the winter here, but it's not Albuquerque either: in Albuquerque, you subtract about 5 degrees from summer highs as well as 10-15 degrees from winters high temperatures.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
I'm right outside Boulder, CO, (since 1966) and we've recently had more 100 degree days than I can ever remember plus several "extreme" winters lately, e.g. no snow and very mild, then 9 FEET of snow -- and we now regularly get pollution alerts in both the summer and the winter.
I know sometimes it might feel that way, but 2007 has only brought us one 100 degree day: July 1st, 2007 (at least in Denver). I doubt Boulder was any different. 2005 brought us a string of 100+ degree days, that was the last such stretch I can recall.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:39 PM

22 posts, read 91,608 times
thank you all for your information. i appreciate ALL of your honesty. I will do more searching. And eventually I will find the right place.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Per Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground there have been no 100+ degree days this summer; there have been several 98 degree days. There were two consecutive days in January with highs in the single digits and lows of 0, and one day in Feb with a high in the 20s and a low below zero. Last July, 2006 had 3 days in July with 100 degree temps and a day in June. Humidity is usually low; sometimes in fall it gets into the single digits. Don't get me wrong, IMO, when it gets above say, 92 or so, it's HOT! Depends on the day, too. If it reaches the 90s early, then clouds up and the temp drops, it's a pretty comfortable day. If it gets into the 90s and stays that way for several hours, it's hot. It usually does cool down into the lower 60s or lower at night.

From a post I made yesterday, seemingly on the same topic, different thread.

Weather information about Boulder, not Denver.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-29-2007 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 PM

310 posts, read 257,288 times
Default Other Options......

A few places in the Southwest could be worth looking into where you will have generally "mild" winters....yet be close to mountains or areas that receive decent snowfall without travelling too far.

Personally.....I would check out FLAGSTAFF, Arizona which doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer as Phoenix or Tucson since it sits at such a high elevation way above the desert...(around 7000 feet, I believe)....and its just south, a very short distance from Arizona's highest mountain at over 12,000 ft.) and BTW....it has a ski area!
There's NOT a lot of snow, generally speaking....in Flagstaff but they CAN get dumped on once in a while.....but not nearly as often or as much as Colorado.
PRESCOTT and SEDONA are close to Flagstaff and are also worth looking into.
Don't know what type of work you seek so I cannot help you there but if what you look for is "mild" winters without a lot of snow in the Southwest......these towns could fit the bill.
Others worth considering:
Albuquerque, NM
Santa Fe, NM
Taos, NM
Durango, Colorado
Grand Junction, CO
Glenwood Springs, CO
Provo, Utah?
and yes.....maybe even Colorado Springs since the winters are, by far......quite mild.....more often than not and overall, its a far nicer town than Denver, IMO.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Hi. This is rescuelife. I certainly hope you are finally getting the answers you seek about a new placed to reside.
Your description certainly sound a great deal like places in east Tennessee.
I live in west Tennessee but i would bet on it that you would probably fall in love with the wonderful weather and surrounding in east Tennessee. why not check into it and see for yourself.
hope my suggestions will be of assistance to you.
rescuelife.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,223,225 times
In northern AZ, the towns that would have the 4-season mild temps would be Prescott, Payson, and ShowLow. Sedona would be a little warmer, and Flagstaff would be closer to a Colorado winter.

Prescott has mild winters, although we do get an occasional snow that melts as it hits the ground, or within the day, max. Summer highs are typically in the 80's. Right now we've had 2 straight weeks of low to mid 80's. If we do hit 100, it's only for a couple of days, usually right before the monsoon season (which we are in now). Extended spring and fall with lots of temps in the 60's and 70's. Low humidity, except for monsoon season.

Payson is almost identical weather. Smaller town. Prescott "tri-city" area is about 85,000 pop. Payson is about 10,000 - 15,000 pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or