U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,649,537 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind a Michigander posting a thread on a Colorado site. I will be getting my degree in elementary education within two years, but I thought I would pick some minds in the Rocky Mountain state about whether moving there from MI is worth it. I little background on me; I am a male in my mid 40s (teaching is my second career). My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience. My daughter is 11.
I was at a recent job fair for teachers up here and there were a few CO schools recruiting new teachers.

Any advice on Colorado's cost of living

what school districts are good to work in (CO teachers could maybe respond)

housing in the 200 to 280K range

Thanks for all your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 PM

85,099 posts, read 99,227,733 times
Which CO school districts were recruiting? Teaching is very competitive here, with some districts having many, many applicants for every job available. That is not to say you should give up. Someone gets hired for these jobs, and it could be you.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,649,537 times
Hi

the districts listed at the fair in April were from Aurora, Greenwood Village and Rifle. I know housing can be expensive,but if we both get jobs we figure we can somehow afford it.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 AM

85,099 posts, read 99,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Hi

the districts listed at the fair in April were from Aurora, Greenwood Village and Rifle. I know housing can be expensive,but if we both get jobs we figure we can somehow afford it.
Rifle is way out west. It's fine if that's what you want. Aurora and GV are metro Denver. I know nothing about housing prices in Rifle. You could search the web. Metro Denver, your lower range would be pretty low for a house, which is probably what you want with your family. $280 is probably doable.

RE:your wife - she will probably find nursing wages lower here than in Michigan.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 AM

26,346 posts, read 81,026,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I am a male in my mid 40s (teaching is my second career). My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience.
They just opened and are opening soon two brand new gigantic hospitals in northern Colorado Springs. Houses there are in your price range. New schools are being built in the area too. Check out Falcon, Academy, and Lewis-Palmer school districts.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,778,135 times
You cound check out Poudre School District in Ft Collins. Or Thompson Valley school district in Loveland. Either area would have plenty of jobs for you and your wife. A new trauma hospital was recently built in Loveland, Medical Center of the Rockies. You could get a very nice house here in your price range. As far as schools they just built a new elementary school in Wellington which is 10 miles north of Ft Collins. Really small nice town close to Ft Collins. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or