U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,685 times

Advertisements

You guys are absolutely right. I mean people don't do what onthamove is proposing. Nope, absolutely not. onthamove, there is nobody here who has done what you've done. All the people you may meet at a place like TGR who say they've done it and are doing it -- they're lying. And I don't know anyone like that either.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-23-2007 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,025,004 times
Don't listen to the naysayers.

My wife works with a gal who has two kids, 20 and 21. They both live in summit county. Currently they are working at a T shirt shop, go through several jobs over and over etc....... Lots of people are bumming it up there to ski all winter etc...

Remember, this is a single 17 YO teenager. Not someone with 2 kids and a mortgage.

Last edited by High Altitude; 07-23-2007 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 PM

835 posts, read 2,567,271 times
i've shocked some people before and have done what it takes. i have been working 40+ hours a week since the end of my sophmore in highschool and saving like no other for this move. I like a challenge, hell as soon as i told my parents of my plan two years ago they were like...its expensive well all i know is so is everywhere else so gas is 10cents less in denver metro big whippty dooo. i'll work as many hours as it takes and live in the cheapest apartment i can find to make this work i'll bunk with 2-3 people if they shower on a regular basis and have a job. i have allready changed my car insurance to minimum coverage so thats one less expense, btw the movie Jeremiah Johnson inspired this whole move. i saw it when i was 11 and then i knew the rockies were where i was gonna be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
onthamove,

Not to pour cold water on your dream, but you need to realize that you are moving to a VERY high cost area with keen competition for jobs that pay relatively low wages. Unless you have some specialized skill that is in demand (and, quite honestly, most 18 year olds don't these days), you will likely be competing for those jobs with aliens (many illegal) who are willing to live with up to 12 people in a 1 or 2 bedroom condo in order to make it. You will also find that you will probably have to work 60-80 hours a week, just to make ends meet--which means your ability to enjoy the high country will be severely compromised because you won't have the time. Thousands and thousands before you have had the same dream. It usually lasts a few months or maybe a year, and then they move on. I've watched it for over 40 years.

My advice is to try to get a better than minimum wage job in one of the towns/cities close to the mountains (Denver, C. Springs, Fort Collins, Grand Junction, etc.) and use your time off to go to the hills. They are also crying for workers for the gas fields in both Colorado and Wyoming. Those jobs are very hard work, but pay fairly well. Many have on/off work schedules (example: 8 10-hour days, then 4 days off) that make it possible to enjoy some things.

For a young person, anyplace but the metro areas of Colorado can be a very hard place to make a living. That's why even the kids who grow up in those rural and resort Colorado towns generally wind up leaving--there is no way they can hope to make a living there.
i have a very specialized skill most Americans used to its called hard work syndrome heck it graduated me from hischool in 3 years instead of 4 and got me some very good raises and the food joint where i currnetly work

i lost a girlfriend because she told me it was either work or her, i chose work because ultimatley i was choosing Colorado.

Last edited by mdz; 07-24-2007 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: just merged the posts

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Well, I hate to say this, but I agree with jazzlover. It's simply reality. You may be willing to work hard, and that's good, but you might not find much that pays you well for your hard work. And unless you want to work in a T-shirt shop or some such your whole life, you should consider getting an education. You can go wrong in the Rockies (to paraphrase another of your posts) despite your optimism, which I do admire.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,025,004 times
Where is everyones sense of adventure?

This guy is only 17 and just graduated highschool. Let him do his thing for a couple years and if he decides it isn't right for him, there is PLENTY of time to do something different.

Reality is what you make of it.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:27 AM

I agree with High Altitude.

Is it going to be easy? Of course not. It'll take a lot of hard work from you, onthamove. You will have to scrape by a lot, share a place with several roommates. Maybe you'll find it's not your thing. Maybe you'll love it. I'm sure at times you'll feel like saying "**********, I want to get back to a comfortable life." At other times, you'll be standing on a high peak, surrounded by snow-capped peaks in a red dawn, thinking, "Ahh, this is the life."

But this is the time to do it. If not now, when? When you're 40 with a wife, kids, and a mortgage? You'll just end up being a bitter old man/woman.

onthamove, what you are suggesting is reality for several people I know. Some made it work, some couldn't. Some went back to college after a year or two, others just stayed on (in your case, if it were me, I'd suggest the former -- bum it for a little bit, get some college education, which it sounds like you're planning on doing anyway -- that'll make you more marketable).

Also, keep your options open. If Summit County looks too expensive or too hard to make it work, perhaps there are other mountain towns/areas that might work (think Tahoe, Park City, Alta/Snowbird). There are also some folks who go someplace else during the summer where they can make more money (in the gas-fields like jazzlover mentioned) -- several people are canyoneering or rafting guides in the spring through fall in places like Buena Vista, Moab, etc., and then a ski bum in the winter in Colorado.

As I said before, it is doable. Will it be hard? Probably. But it can also be the adventure of a lifetime.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 PM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Where is everyones sense of adventure?

This guy is only 17 and just graduated highschool. Let him do his thing for a couple years and if he decides it isn't right for him, there is PLENTY of time to do something different.

Reality is what you make of it.
Putting it that way, I agree. But more education never hurt anyone. There are branches of Colorado Mountain College all over the mtn communities. It would be worth looking into.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
There are branches of Colorado Mountain College all over the mtn communities. It would be worth looking into.
I think he already is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove
once i become an instate resident i am going to start college, evergreen has no nearby community colleges except for RRCC whereas Breckinridge has the colorado mountian college.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
One of my best friends growing up lives in Summit County but didn't do so until after graduating from college. She's now a realtor and her husband is pretty high up in the ranks for Keystone Resort maintanence department.

With that said, resort living can be difficult. Before she got her realtors license, she worked 2-3 jobs to afford a place to live and have food on her table. She's a tough cookie but sometimes she felt like it was one of the worst decisions she made to move up there.

Okay, so you want to live in the area but know that most ski resort living is not at all easy on people with limited financial means. Granted my friend and her husband have done well for themselves up there but there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get there. They both have a wonderful life up there now but it is important that people give you some reality.

Everything in the mountain resorts is much more expensive. From food to housing to even keeping a car. Yes, they do have pretty good public transportation up there but it is horribly limiting.

Anyhow, before you make the big leap to resort living, I suggest you be honest with yourself about what you can do for a living and what the costs are. Living with 5 other people in a tiny condo is not much fun when you're working 80 hours a week and can't get sleep because one of your roommates brings a bunch of friends over to party.

Just know that there are some people that can do it and there are others that aren't cut out for the mountain resort lifestyle. It took a good amount of time for my friend and her husband to afford a place they could call their own.

Good luck to you but know that it's not all peaches and cream in the resort towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado