U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,616 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Colorado in November so that my Son can train with the Team Summit Ski program and attend the Summit High School. We also have a daugher in Elementary school and are trying to determine which town in Summit county would be the best to live with the best Elementary school. We are currently looking in Breckenridge, Frisco, and Summit Cove. We will be traveling to the area within the next 2 weeks to look at the Elementary schools but would love any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,991 times
Default Relocating to Summit County

Howdy,
I'm relocating to the Summit County area from Boston. I'm currently looking in the Silverthorne, Dillion, Frisco area. Any tips on other good towns in the area to live in? How is the scene for young, single college grads?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:37 PM

226 posts, read 1,246,953 times
Unless you work in retail or restaurants you may be disappointed in the employment possibilities in these areas. You may also want to look into the ski resorts Breckenridge, Vail/Avon. Cost of living can be a bit high. Good Luck with your move.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM

111 posts, read 553,975 times
Breck, Vail, Aspen. If you are young, single and gonna move to this area, do it completely. Dillon, Frisco, Silverthorne are okay and yes cheaper, but I think you really want to BE IN the actual ski towns to get the whole experience.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
My best childhood friend has been living up there since she graduated college. Lots of jobs up there but sometimes you need two to make ends meet and housing is very expensive. She doesn't have that problem now as she's a real estate agent, has a family and owns their own home.

If you are serious about the area (Dillon, Breck, Frisco and such) you may want to contact the Summit County Chamber of Commerce: http://www.summitchamber.org/ and have them send you information on relocation and area stats.

Chambers of commerce, I have found, are an excellent resource to get information on virtually any city, town or county.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,985 times
Default Don't do it!

I don't know if it's too late - but if you haven't yet moved here, don't! I don't know what your career plans are, but whatever they are, you can kiss them goodbye!

I am lucky in that I work for one of the only software companies around. I have a great job but it took me four years to find this job.

The housing here is unaffordable, unless you want to live in a small condo in Dillon Valley or Wildernest.

Why do you want to move here? Do you plan on being a ski bumb? There's not a lot to do here if you're not athletic.

This is a transient community and what I have found is that it is hard to meet people who are our age and responsible, educated, etc.

I am selling my condo and moving to Denver this coming Summer. Summit County is just not the place to be when you're young, single, and looking to make something of your life.

Hope this helps. lol

Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,825 times
well, I don't know about summit co. being a bad idea.
It def. is a place to be active. It is called colorado's play ground for a reason. I have moved there and left three times now hoping to find the ultimate place for me and my family to live. After all of our wasted time and effort we have finally decided that this is the place for us!!! My only concern is that it's hard for young children to find friends after school. They all seem to have other activities to do besides the regular kid things most of us are used to. The recreational centers are amazing! Indoor everything! Free bus system to everywhere tha everyone rides. It's the kind I would let a my child ride with no worries. Finding friends are hard, but once you figure out which rock to look under, you're good to go. Good people, great mindsets, healthy attitudes, fit people, BEAUTIFUL, with 300 days of sun!
TIP: alot of single people just come for about 4 months. They get employee housing through the ski resorts(cheap!). I'd do that just to make sure I liked it. that way there's no pressure and you could leave if you didn't dig the area.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 AM

835 posts, read 2,566,996 times
Default Summit County Colorado

seems to be an amazing place from photos and other things i have read online. I am just wondering what is the job market like in summit county? I mean i can see lots seasonal jobs dealing with snow and skiing but what about jobs that are nonseasonal?

Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,014 times
The biggest summer-time job market is in construction. Lots of new houses and developments going up. What I can't tell you is how saturated the construction market is -- yes there is a lot of construction, but there are also a lot of workers who want to live here.

Summit County is also aggressively marketing the summer season -- lots of activities and events going on every weekend. So slowly but surely, there are places looking for workers in the summer as well. I've seen wait-staff wanted signs at several restaurants.

If you're looking for more permanent jobs, you can see if the two major resort companies, Vail Resort and Intrawest, have any full-time positions.

If you can't find any lodging cheap enough in SuCo, you could look at some of the cheaper towns just outside the major towns, e.g. Leadville (very popular with lots of ski resort & construction workers), Alma, Fairplay, Heeney, etc. They will involve about a 20-45-minute commute into Summit County proper though.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,553 times
Default Moving to Summit County

OK folks I looking at making the move to summit county and am trying to narrow down the places live. I have looked around a bit and just wanted some input form some that have been there for a few years. What are the best places to live for a single guy in his late twenties? I looking to live there year round and have to make the drive to Denver 2 times a month for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or