U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,389,599 times

Advertisements

Hello All –

I’m winding down & just steps from decision-making Re: my move to CO from Boston. Having lived in the 4 corners of the country, proper dress codes vary widely from region to region & I was wondering what would be considered proper attire for an interview in Denver & CO Springs, in a corporate or medical, secretarial or administrative assistant position? From the posts, I get the feeling that Denver & CO Springs corporate environments differ a bit, therefore, dress codes between the two would too, I’d imagine?

I’m a very nervous interviewee, so I’d love to at least walk in looking like I fit into the company/area. If I enter looking like a vampire, like I did in long-sleeved, long-skirted black wool in Atlanta (in those days, I thought corporate was corporate, no matter the locale… very humorous, looking back on it!), then I’ll feel even more off-centered.

I can always remove a suit jacket for a more casual look, if necessary, but my main concern is suit color/fabric & shoes. For Boston, it’s black/navy/darkest charcoal gray wool only, Atlanta is light colors/fabrics & more feminine & since I worked in computer software in Seattle during the grunge years, well that’s a completely different story, I must say! Plaid waist-shirts, Doc Martens & backwards baseball caps were the norm. And, that was just the bosses… Inexpensive, wash-n-wear wardrobe I had in those days!

I’d appreciate any help & thank you for the time in answering. I’m female, by the way.

Oh, & are conservative, black 2” heels still the norm? Been out of the interviewing process for a few years, I'm afraid. Shaking (just a bit) in my wool suit in Boston - black, of course!

Cheers, very much, then… Baltic_Celt

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 08-23-2006 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure, clarity
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 AM

137 posts, read 708,707 times
I would say that it depends on even what part of town. Downtown Denver I would pull out a dark wool suit. You'll be OK to through in a bit of color. If your in the Denver Tech Center you can go lighter weight, but still dark. In Colorado Springs it will depend more on the company, but in general you can go a little more casual- but I wouldn't really do pastel colors. A lot of Colorado Springs still dresses up, but they typicaly wear cheaper suits (Sorry if I offended anyone...but it's true.) When I worked in Denver I always wore expensive suits- silk in the warm months and wool in the winter months. When I moved back down to Colorado Springs I ended up selling all of my high dollar suits on eBay because they were a little too stuffy, and I never wore them. You will stick out like a sore thumb if you wear a suit in Boulder. I think most women in Colorado Springs would fall over if they knew what professionals spent on their clothes in Denver. Here my peers buy their suits at Steinmart; in Denver my peers bought their suits at Nordstrom. Hope that helps!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM

CSColorado -

Thank you so much for the reply & info. Just exactly the info that I need & I appreciate you sharing your personal experiences. It will make me more comfortable to prepare for interviews.

Also, thank you to those who so kindly PM'd me with info. I certainly appreciate the friendliness & desire of the board to share!

Cheers, then... Baltic_Celt

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 08-24-2006 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure incorrect

Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,665 times
CSColo. nailed it on the head.

I was recently working for a large national firm and the corporate culture was kinda Wall Streetish, now I work for a local bank and definitely felt a little to metropolitan.

Had to trade in the fancy black shoes for comofrtable browns.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Jaigner -

Thank you for further reinforcement. Several who PM'd me said the same, so the general consensus agrees, which makes it very easy for me.

Personal to CJ - My PM returned undelivered, too, but I received both from you. Mine was a big "thank you" to you for all your info. Also, thank you for the website. I'll check it out this weekend.

Thank you everyone!
Cheers, then... Baltic_Celt

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,385 times
going for an interview in Collbran, Colorado what should I wear for an administrative assistant position. I was going to wear western boots but a friend talked me out of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or