U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 AM

10,922 posts, read 41,516,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Rueger and you will be happy to know that we pretty much have no ticks or bugs up here. We don't use advantix on our dogs here but still use heartworm pills. When you do hike with him, keep an eye out for moose, they can be aggressive towards dogs. Personally we've never run into any, but there was a momma and her baby walking around Vail last summer.
No fleas ... apparently due to the very dry climate. You still have to be careful about the contact your pet may have with others that have been brought up to the area on short trips, where the other dogs may have fleas with them from their home climate.

but "no ticks"? .... I don't think so. I used to have to check my dogs pretty regularly for them after hikes in the Vail area in some months of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM

2,992 posts, read 6,684,931 times
Maybe we've been lucky with the ticks, but in 10 years we've had the dogs they've never had a tick in Colorado. We were at the vet last week and he still suggests heartworm pills but no flea and tick medicine.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 PM

10,922 posts, read 41,516,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Maybe we've been lucky with the ticks, but in 10 years we've had the dogs they've never had a tick in Colorado. We were at the vet last week and he still suggests heartworm pills but no flea and tick medicine.
You've been lucky.

April-May-June are prime months each year for a huge tick infestation in the area. For me, they've seemed to be more prevalent in the areas where there was a lot of moisture, such as wet meadow areas with trees or areas just recently melted off in the spring.

Even my short-hair Dachshunds could find ticks and needed to be checked over after hikes in the area. Long hair breeds are much more difficult to find the ticks on, and your dog may actually have had a tick feast on it and then drop off as they do in a day or so without you knowing it. Plus, if your dog is as curious as mine have been to "visit" with the skunks, raccoons, and other wildlife in the area ... there's a huge tick infestation in that wildlife population. Tularemia is a big problem in the wild rabbit population, and it's spread by ticks. You'll also find ticks on the deer in the area. If your dog is investigating nesting spots for these animals, it's coming in to contact with areas where the ticks will be present.

I've had to be very careful riding my horses through the wooded areas downvalley and over to the 'boat to not pick up ticks. It's fairly common to see ticks hanging off of low lying evergreen branches in the spring ... so you keep an eye out for them to avoid brushing those branches.

If you'll google the tick problem in Colorado, you'll find them very widespread in the wooded areas at higher elevations. Not only that, but there's a "brown dog tick" that's specific to canines in the area which can and will create an infestation inside your house, although this variety doesn't cross over to feed on human blood. This variety cannot survive Colorado winters, but can readily survive inside your house.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM

20,421 posts, read 38,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsims View Post
Thank you so much Dogmama! You made me feel a lot better. The thought of leaving our GSD is heart breaking. I too, think he would enjoy the weather there much more than the hot and humid days we have here on the southern Georgia coast.
I plan on doing a lot of hiking when we move, and being a female, I will feel safer having my dog Rueger along with me.
I'm am definitely getting excited about this move. Thanks again!
When hiking, it would not be unreasonable to have both Rueger and a Ruger with you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,123,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
When hiking, it would not be unreasonable to have both Rueger and a Ruger with you.
In the Vail area in summer, I've known plenty of spandex shorted gals that run into the back country without a thought. In the past 10 years I can think of a few cases of people that got lost or had an accident and perished while on day hikes. I can remember a few search and rescue cases that dragged on for a while.

I think most people get confused and think Vail is an urban area but while long, the populated part of the valley is narrow and it abuts up to hundreds of square miles of deserted wilderness with no sign of civilization except for a few forestry roads.

The populated trails on the ski hills or along the valley, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd probably pack heat hiking anywhere else, for protection, signaling, etc. I've had too many black bear encounters to count. One guy got in trouble in Bachelor Gulch for shooting a bear with a 9 mm pistol, but it made an approach on him and there is nothing else you can do. I'm sure many of the greeny hippy liberal types would scoff at carrying a gun, but a lot of Colorado is just as wild and as dangerous as it was 200 years ago and it can bite. A gun is a tool that can be useful. I come from several generations of Colorado hikers and they have plenty of stories of unexpected circumstances and issues, with wildlife, weather, people, etc.

There are definitely ticks about around Vail. I have brushed a few off, don't recall being bit.

Colorado Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado