U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,153,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
After leaving Trinidad every year I drive through the San Luis ara and seen lots of farms with irrigation. Where are they getting the water? Always curious as to how they are growing in that area. Do you know much about those farms?
The San Luis Valley has a combination of surface water supplies from the Conejos and Rio Grande River drainages and wells (many that used to be artesian) from the San Luis aquifer. There has been a lot of controversy over the years as to how much of the aquifer is "tributary" water--that is, recharged by the river system--and how much is "ancestral' water. The fight comes because wells that are deemed to be using "tributary" water may "injure" surface water right holders. There has been considerable litigation on that issue over the years. The oldest adjudicated water rights in Colorado are around San Luis. A friend of mine was a water referee who heard several landmark cases concerning those water rights some years back.

Unfortunately, around 25% of the irrigated land in the San Luis Valley is going to be dried up in the next decade or so, that water being turned downstream to fulfill interstate water compacts with downstream states on the Rio Grande. So, the San Luis Valley is going to take a pretty good economic hit in the next few years--tough, because the valley as a whole remains one of the most economically depressed areas in Colorado as it is. The SLV is also one of Colorado's largest remaining agricultural areas that has not been wrecked by development and metropolitan water grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,489,161 times
Thank you Jazzlover.
There doesn't seem to be much out there but farming. I say farming because I really didn't see any animals just grain type farming. I've always been attracted to that type of landscape. People think I am nuts but I love to drive through the OK panhandle.

I am a little worried about the lack of water in Trinidad but of course wouldn't need it because I will not be raising cattle. Other areas of Southern Co seem greener like Pagosa. My attraction to Trinidad is that I can be in the mountains. Have less of a summer. Cost of living seems to be about the same as where I am living and it isn't that far to where my children live OKC.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 19,454 times
If we buy a motel/RV park sort of place, we won't be raising anything, so as long as we have water for showers, drinking, and can have a dump station, we should be okay.

Water is the one thing I'm concerned about in the move.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Default Condos in Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace473 View Post
I think Trinidad is what you make of it. We vacationed there the 1st week of this month. It was very genuine -- not phony like Manitou Springs. We plan to go back in Dec. May relocate there . . .

My wife & I live in Denver, but I've been through Trinidad a number of times. I think it's a funky town, and I like what little I've seen of it. I like to fish & hunt, and my wife & I dip into New Mexico quite frequently. Anyway, I've entertained the idea of buying a small, second home in Trinidad--preferably a condo. However, I'm not sure Trinidad is a "condo town". Any comments?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM

319 posts, read 621,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
My wife & I live in Denver, but I've been through Trinidad a number of times. I think it's a funky town, and I like what little I've seen of it. I like to fish & hunt, and my wife & I dip into New Mexico quite frequently. Anyway, I've entertained the idea of buying a small, second home in Trinidad--preferably a condo. However, I'm not sure Trinidad is a "condo town". Any comments?
I would tend to agree that Trinidad is not a "condo town" the way that Dillon or Breck or other ski/mountain areas are "condo towns."

However, because of the down economy, there may be single-family homes that you could purchase at a great value.

I live 50 miles from Trinidad, and it is my commercial base. It is definitely in transition. New people with new ideas and new interests in art and culture are moving into town and bumping up against old-guard, entrenched, good-old-boy networks that have run their course. Trinidad has a very hardscrabble past, so my guess is that it will never feel like Durango, Pagosa Spgs, or some of the other "hipper"places that are in great demand.

It's a great location, however, if you want to pop down into New Mexico, visit Taos, Santa Fe, or Albuquerque. Also not far to get into Texas, Oklahoma, or points east. Lots of hunting in the region. The NRA Whittington Center is just over the NM border, if that's your thing. Also, the Shuler Theatre in Raton has much going on.

New strides are being taken with arts, theatre, etc., if that suits your fancy. I think that the A.R. Mitchell Museum of Western Art is a true gem. Monument Lake and Trinidad State Park offer recreational opportunities. The City has done a really nice job with the Riverwalk area in town.

And this spring, the Trinidad Triggers begin playing professional baseball!

Welcome to the Home Page of Trinidad Triggers Professional Baseball Team for 2012

I encourage you to check it out further.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM

I too doubt you'll find a condo unless they start to build on the goft course. Last year I only saw a few homes out there on the course but they have signs all over showing plans for condos, clubs it look like it was going to be a BIG DEAL until the recession is my thoughts. I too think it is a neat town.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I too doubt you'll find a condo unless they start to build on the goft course. Last year I only saw a few homes out there on the course but they have signs all over showing plans for condos, clubs it look like it was going to be a BIG DEAL until the recession is my thoughts. I too think it is a neat town.
Significant aspects of the Cougar Canyon development (incl. golf course) went to bankruptcy some time back. Some of it may be in reorganization; it's hard for the average person to keep up with the goings-on there.

There is some mixed-use development "downtown," which might offer some condos, but again, I can't say for sure.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 AM

I wonder how they got that cougar Canyon Golf course so messed up. You could see that Trinidad probably couldn't handle that kind of place. I think there is only a handful of homes built out there. They started construction on some Hugh buildings but in the last 4 years nothing has been done on them. They just sit.... Also, that kind of development doesn't seem to fit the Trinidad type of culture to me at least.

Why bovinedivine did you pick Branson? I am going to be driving though your town in September on my annual trip to Trinidad. I go to Trinidad then to Chama NM every year.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Why bovinedivine did you pick Branson? I am going to be driving though your town in September on my annual trip to Trinidad. I go to Trinidad then to Chama NM every year.
Actually, I can't say that I really picked Branson. More like Branson picked ME. Chalk it up to a series of events and connections that began in New England, meandered to Old Mexico, accelerated in New Mexico, and eventually led me to Las Animas County. Once my youngest child headed off to college, I knew I was ready to leave Boulder after a decade and a half, and I was open to whatever was laid upon my heart and spirit.

None of it makes any sense whatsoever (lol), but I feel more at home here than perhaps anywhere I have lived in my life. Some of us are called to places for unknown reasons. Sometimes what you think you want most isn't what you truly need. That's why I generally encourage people to go for it when they are pulled in ways and directions they can't explain...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,153,650 times
Quote:
After leaving Trinidad every year I drive through the San Luis ara and seen lots of farms with irrigation. Where are they getting the water? Always curious as to how they are growing in that area. Do you know much about those farms?
Are you speaking of the San Luis Valley, in general, or the area around the town of San Luis, in particular? Most of the area around the latter gets surface irrigation water from the Sangre de Cristo mountain streams and, to the west, from some of the Conejos and Rio Grande drainages. The area immediately around San Luis has some of the most senior water rights in Colorado, dating back to as far as 1851--when Colorado was far from being a state, and--in fact--the area only having been part of the United States for three years.

As to the rest of the SLV, it gets it water from a combination of surface rights from the Rio Grande River (and its tributaries) drainage and from the aquifer that underlies the valley. There is continuing dispute about how much of that underground aquifer is "tributary" water--that is, recharged from the Rio Grande River and its tributaries, and how much is "ancestral" water that is not recharged and thus a one-time supply that depletes permanently as it is used. The sad fact is that the SLV has inadequate water supplies, from either the river system or the aquifer, to sustain irrigation at its present level--thanks to downstream river compacts that demand that water be allowed to flow to users in New Mexico and Texas. The end result is that about 25% of the currently irrigated land in the SLV will have to be dried up in the next 10 years. All of that is irrespective of the fact that the SLV has been mired in a hydrologic drought for several years now with below normal mountain snowpack. That is tragic for a place that is one of Colorado's last large-scale irrigated agricultural areas left west of I-25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado