U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
My daughter and I are thinking of moving to Trinidad I am retired she is 12yrs old looking for a place to rent. What to look for, and quality of schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,888,860 times
My husband and I are considering Trinidad ourselves in retirement. We're looking at the Santa Fe Trail Ranch subdivision on the Raton pass. You would like living in Trinidad as long as you are retired. I've noticed quite a few reasonable homes for sale in Trinidad itself. I wouldn't know about schools. I am a grandmother but I saw the kids get out of school all with skate boards heading to a really neat skate board park near the train station. I personally like Trinidad, it is depressed from the recession so as I said as long as your not looking for a job your fine.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM

313 posts, read 320,178 times
Default Just Saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago66 View Post
My daughter and I are thinking of moving to Trinidad I am retired she is 12yrs old looking for a place to rent. What to look for, and quality of schools.
Trinidad has a variety of things to offer, but the whole place seems to be in turmoil right now. if you can view it as transition from the good-old-boys way of doing politics and business, into something that is fairer, actually legal, and more in line with the will of the people, you will do fine. There is great resistance to change among the "Old Guard" and more forward-thinking folks are not taking it lying down.

Lots of angry public meetings, recall petitions, ousting of the City Manager by an entrenched "Gang of Four" on the City Council, and cries for the School Superintendent's head as well. Money is tight, former School Boards may not have been totally above board with their maneuverings, etc., and students may suffer as a result.

Here is the site for one of the local papers, which you can read to get an idea of some of what's going on. Maybe you can go back a ways; things have quieted a tad with the arrival of summer vacation. I think you can view the Classifieds, too, without signing up (but I'm not sure).

Trinidad, Colorado's No. 1 News Source

Don't mean to dissuade you; just offering a heads-up. Trinidad has a rough history and many good people are doing what they can to create a brighter future. it just won't happen overnight, though.

Meantime, they've upgraded the RiverWalk area along the Purgatoire, just had a very successful Water Festival in the schools, the Lady Miners from Trinidad High were state basketball champs, and the Trinidad State Jr College offered a wonderful program for middle-school girls interested in scence/technology/math/engineering.

Ask lots of questions and then sift through the answers with a fine screen. And, of course, make a visit and spend some time poking around.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM

[quote=bovinedivine;24523187]Trinidad has a variety of things to offer, but the whole place seems to be in turmoil right now. if you can view it as transition from the good-old-boys way of doing politics and business, into something that is fairer, actually legal, and more in line with the will of the people, you will do fine. There is great resistance to change among the "Old Guard" and more forward-thinking folks are not taking it lying down.

Lots of angry public meetings, recall petitions, ousting of the City Manager by an entrenched "Gang of Four" on the City Council, and cries for the School Superintendent's head as well.

Who are the gang of four? I know the area must be depressed looking at how the golf course bellied up. All those lots out there and I think you can count a half dozen houses. Half built hotel and all those other facilities they were trying to do on Cougar Course. I just love all the beautiful Victoria homes on those neat brick streets. I think the main part of the town is cute and we always enjoy our food their. Generally, we stay at the Tarabino B & B . I'll be driving though your part of the neck of the woods this year instead of taking the Raton pass I'll go through Branson for the heck of it and then head west to Trinidad.

Is the hospital in trouble. That would worry me because I don't want have to go Pueblo for everything. I take it that you have to drive to Trinidad to grocery shop at The super walmart there on I-25.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM

7,969 posts, read 15,323,489 times
A whole lot of Colorado communities got sucked into a transplant/yuppie-dominated mindset during the boom--thinking that they should have all kinds of "amenities"--upscale golf courses, rec centers, fancy hospitals, etc.--in order to be like, and to compete with, larger metro communities. The problem was they did not get the population, tax base, or business activity to support all that fancy crap during the boom--and now that things have busted, they have no way to maintain or financially support it. A lot of this junk was promoted by the real estate and land development interests--once again happily privatizing the profits of these boondoggles and socializing the costs on the taxpayers. The developers either made their money and moved on, or went belly-up themselves in the bust. Now, the communities are stuck with a bunch of white-elephant "amenities" that are a financial dead-weight around their necks. It's a sad case of smaller communities trying to be something that they are not, and never will be. Sadly, it is the local long-time residents, many of limited financial means themselves, who never asked for all of this fancy stuff nor used it that usually get left to pick up (and pay for) the financial wreckage. I'm watching this go on in several communities in Colorado with which I'm quite familiar and it will likely bankrupt some of them.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Do you think Trinidad could go bankrupt?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM

7,969 posts, read 15,323,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Do you think Trinidad could go bankrupt?
I do not have direct access to Trinidad's financials, but there is no denying the area there is having some pretty serious economic and fiscal troubles. We may not know just how bad the fiscal situation is in some Colorado counties, municipalities, and local service districts until the decline in property values really starts to show up in assessment valuations. That will come in 2013, when all property in Colorado is re-appraised again. That promises to be very sobering, I guarantee you.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM

313 posts, read 320,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post

Who are the gang of four? I know the area must be depressed looking at how the golf course bellied up. All those lots out there and I think you can count a half dozen houses. Half built hotel and all those other facilities they were trying to do on Cougar Course. I just love all the beautiful Victoria homes on those neat brick streets. I think the main part of the town is cute and we always enjoy our food their. Generally, we stay at the Tarabino B & B . I'll be driving though your part of the neck of the woods this year instead of taking the Raton pass I'll go through Branson for the heck of it and then head west to Trinidad.

Is the hospital in trouble. That would worry me because I don't want have to go Pueblo for everything. I take it that you have to drive to Trinidad to grocery shop at The super walmart there on I-25.
The "Gang of Four" are four City Council members who vote together to block initiatives from the newer three members. They unceremoniously fired the City Manager, who will now be suing the City for breach of contract.

Much of the Cougar Canyon development is in disarray, though the Cougar Canyon Golf Links must be open: Golfweek magazine just named the course as #1 in the state in its 2012 “Best (daily fee) Courses You Can Play” rankings. Here's the link to see their Top Ten for Colorado:

Golfweek ranks Trinidad's Cougar Canyon course tops in state | The Field House

Not sure about the hospital. Some of us in the outlying rural areas prefer to bypass the Trinidad Hospital and drive the 130 miles to Pueblo - especially to Parkview. Others have a positive experience in Trinidad.

Another issue cropping up in Trinidad is that many of the beautiful older historic buildings on Main Street are owned by out-of-staters who cannot afford necessary maintenance and upkeep. A significant structure in the center of town (Opera House) has been deemed unsafe and is now cordoned off for fear it will collapse. Many buildings are fully or partially vacant.

City’s 33 vacants need a boost

As for shopping, I'm really not a Wal-Mart gal. I eat organic as much as possible, and may shop at the Safeway in Trinidad, the Trinidad Community Co-Op, Trinidad Health Food Store, and the Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers in Pueblo. A group of us have also joined a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm in La Junta this year.

When you live 50 miles out, you usually always travel with your cooler! If I go to Santa Fe, I shop for groceries while there;if I head to Denver, Boulder, or Alamosa, I shop there.

My intention is not to trash Trinidad. As stated before, there are people working hard to boost the arts community, to offer alternative/
complementary health services, to expand the offerings of the Trinidad State Junior College, and to open retail shops and restaurants that serve both locals and tourists. Some of these bright lights have made a strong personal commitment to Trinidad and are bringing fresh ideas, vision, and action to bear. Unfortunately, Trinidad always seems to be dragging a ball and chain behind it, though it is a place of enormous history and grit, in beautiful surroundings and convenient to outstanding recreational opportunities. It deserves due consideration among people looking to relocate to a large town/small city, though it is good also to have a sense of the current situation.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM

That is sort of what I do here. It is almost 30 miles for me to a grocery store. I grow almost everything and having a cattle ranch out in the middle of no where. But not as no where as I think Branson will be. I'll be driving through Branson this fall to take a look at your world. I do love the area of Trinidad and thought If I was there I probably would head on down to Santa Fe a lot . Having spent time in Pueblo 30 years ago, I do not like that town at all. The Farmers Market in Trinidad seemed substantial to me. Not as Santa Fe but more reasonable priced and enough stuff. I talked to a few people that do Community Supported Agriculture there.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 AM

[Golfweek ranks Trinidad's Cougar Canyon course tops in state | The Field House

That is amazing. I guess it is good course but where are these people staying. Nothing is built out there but a few homes and I guess there is one place to rent stuff and some sort of bar/restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado