Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,005 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Trinidad soon, and buying a small house in town.
I realize that the local economy is not great and that, culturally, the town is fairly unique (I lived in the Hispanic part of Durango during the 70s and enjoyed it), but I have some other questions.
I understand that no one can give me definitive answers, but any feedback will be appreciated.

I like gardening - is water rationed in town? Has Trinidad been getting a lot drier over the last few years.

Just how windy is Trinidad, and for how long? Is blowing dirt much of a problem?

Will I be okay without air conditioning in August?

How hard would it be to find a part-time job that pays $600-700 a month after deductions?

How hard would it be to find a small vacant shop downtown and open a business?

What about city finances - any danger of a big bump in property taxes any time soon (especially on businesses)?

Do I need to worry about the local hospital closing down?

Do local people have a generally positive (or at least neutral) outlook?

In your opinion, does the area seem to be looking up or going downhill over the last 5 years?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Any other pertinent information that you think of will also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Democrat doesn't equal liberal, I believe that since conservative doens't equal republican.

I'm a politcal enigma and fit in nowhere. I'm pro choice on everything, but I love guns and fiscal conservativness.

I think homosexuals are gross, personally, but I'm not gonna tell them they can't be happy together.

I just don't undestand why anyone would throw that in your face, I mean, I'm no Obama fan, but I'm not gonna blow up at you for it, I'll just laugh silently when he doens't get re-elected.

Many of my family members are bleeding heart liberals, but we've insituted a policy of no politcal speaking in each other's company, cause it always leads to fights.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I wish someone would answer his questions. I have many of the same. Trinidad is on our list for retirement too.
I am in Trinidad every year. I read their local paper. A new husband and wife team of doctors from OKCity have moved there to work in the hospital. The woman doctor is taking the place of the one who did transgender stuff. She is a gyn. Not sure what type of doctor her husband is. I think the hospital will do fine or they wouldn't have transferred from a big one in OKCity is my guess. Pleblo will have everything they don't and it is an hour away. I find property taxes to be in line with OK which is good. Someone on this forum says a lot of shops closed due to the recession. I am checking that out in September. I hope not. I've met many locals there and they all seem nice. Actually, last year while walking the streets I talked to people and many of them had moved there from Denver for retirement.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 AM

352 posts, read 797,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotrinidad View Post
I am thinking of moving to Trinidad soon, and buying a small house in town.
I realize that the local economy is not great and that, culturally, the town is fairly unique (I lived in the Hispanic part of Durango during the 70s and enjoyed it), but I have some other questions.
I understand that no one can give me definitive answers, but any feedback will be appreciated.

I like gardening - is water rationed in town? Has Trinidad been getting a lot drier over the last few years.

Just how windy is Trinidad, and for how long? Is blowing dirt much of a problem?

Will I be okay without air conditioning in August?

How hard would it be to find a part-time job that pays $600-700 a month after deductions?

How hard would it be to find a small vacant shop downtown and open a business?

What about city finances - any danger of a big bump in property taxes any time soon (especially on businesses)?

Do I need to worry about the local hospital closing down?

Do local people have a generally positive (or at least neutral) outlook?

In your opinion, does the area seem to be looking up or going downhill over the last 5 years?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Any other pertinent information that you think of will also be appreciated.

I can't quite tell how much time you have already spent in Trinidad, but it seems that a lot of your queries could be answered by rolling into town and talking with people directly. Truly, a lot of what you are asking is subjective.

Water: Of course, Trinidad has gotten drier just like every other part of southern Colorado. Can't speak to water rationing, but if you tool around town you will see green lawns, flower and vegetable gardens. There is a Community Garden, as well, operated by people from Earth Mountain Farms who are also involved with the Trinidad Community Co-Op.

Wind: It comes, it goes, sometimes it stays for a while. I live 50 miles SE from Trinidad in a very rural area, and invariably, window sills become lined with wind-borne dirt. Sometimes the wind can be maddening; it also plays a part in evaporating moisture from gardens.

Air Conditioning: It's such a personal question, really. Some people can't live without it; a lot of people I know use a variety of fans to get through the hottest weather. It's not just August; this year we saw triple-digit weather in June, and September can be blazing as well. It's true what they say about Colorado: if you don't like the weather, just wait a while and it will change.

Jobs: Look in the Trinidad Chronicle-News and Trinidad Times Independent newspapers. Jobs are also available through the Colorado Workforce office on Commercial Street. Depends on what you can (and will) do.

Retail Space: There are a lot of empty storefronts in downtown Trinidad. The bigger question is whether one can open and grow a successful business -- and that is dependent not only on the local and tourist economies, but also on one's business plan, available capital, marketing savvy, and management skills. Go talk to the Chamber of Commerce people to find out what's missing in the local business mix -- or stop in and talk to local businessowners directly.

Taxes: Sorry, don't know too much about that. Local politics are still in turmoil. In addition to the ouster of a very well-regarded and results-oriented City Manager, there are now plans afoot to recall the Mayor (in addition to the recall of a City Councilman, now in progress.

Hospital: I don't think it's going anywhere. Bear in mind, though, that for certain specialized conditions, you will be sent to Pueblo. There's some history of doctors coming and going, leaving some locals unhappy with the constant turnover. (To Debbie of Bountiful: I have heard good things about both the new Ob-Gyn and her husband, but have no personal experience with either.) There are some alternative clinics as well as natural healing alternatives, if those are your flavor.

Outlook: Unfortunately, deeply rooted Trinidad people have a reputation of being negative and prone to dragging down the City. On the flip side, there are newcomers who are doing their best to bring in new energy and new ideas, but they grow weary of bumping up against old, entrenched ideas. As I've posted previously, T'Dad seems to drag around a ball and chain that prevents it from moving forward in a variety of ways. But there are definitely bright spots among the dark clouds.

I've been in/around the Trinidad area (specifically, 50 miles SE in ranch country) for going on four years, and would characterize it as up and down, up and down. Right now, for instance, the New Elk coal mining operation has temporarily shut down for 60 days and has laid off 200 employees - with about one-third of them from the Trinidad area. Also, the trial is set to begin in mid-December on felony charges against City Councilmember Linda Velasquez. (She’s charged with a felony count of attempting to influence a public servant, and two counts of allowing illegal gambling on a licensed premises.)

On the other hand, there is a new internist/pediatrician at the Mt San Rafael Hospital from the Philippines, and his wife, who is also a doctor specializing in geriatrics, will join him shortly. And, the head of the local Economic Development Office reports that 85 new businesses were created in Trinidad over the past two years - most of them small, entrepreneurial "Mom and Pop" operations. Again, the larger question is, "Are they still around? Successful? Struggling?"

This is all in the local newspapers -- but as always, the best way to learn about a place is to spend some time digging around and talking to people in business, in government, at local restaurants/bars, churches, parks, in the parking lot at the Safeway, etc. In the end, it's all about how YOU see things, and everyone has his/her own filters.

Who knows? T'Dad might be perfect for you. Come on down and check it out...

Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 AM

I think the bovinedivine has some great stuff to think about. I think one needs to spend a lot of time in relocating. Now, I've with husband's job have relocated many times and did fine but again he had a job which is a huge plus. This time we will be retired and moving futher away from kids. Even though I am in Trinidad every year, I am also there at the best time of the year September. I am going to take a trip up in winter to get an idea. Lived in winter areas before. Would love to go in the summer to spent time there but I have cattle to think of and the heat here is horrible for them.
Before opening any shops, I would try to get involved with people there and get a true answer. Not from your real estate guy/lady but actual people. I learned a lot by staying at B&B and talking to people right in town. I think next time I'll hit Safeway and Walmart and take alook at what they have to offer even in the grocery area and compare.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,005 times
Thanks bovinedevine.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Trinidad has an highly rated, affordable municipal golf course. Artocade (this year it's September 11-13th), Amtrak, UPS and FedEx resources, medical care is improving, excellent eastern medicine choices (massage, chiro, PT, etc) & no traffic jams. Pueblo is 80 miles away with more shopping and an airport that flies to Denver to connect with virtually any airline. Taxes are very low. Several new shops have opened and the Lipstick & Rouge volunteers are sprucing up some commercial buildings. We have Trinidad Lake State park just a few miles from town.Every visitor that stays with us loves the town but those that live here see all the blemishes.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 AM

I'll be there in a few weeks. This year our favorite B & B was booked a also a few other nice hotels. We have a hotel but always like to stay at the Tarabino. I was sadden to see Black Jack's closed. also hard to get into that place and not the best food but loved the history. Do you know why it closed. I also see a brewery is just north of town. Why didn't they take over the historic one by the railroad station. Also, have you heard anything on the Amtrak pulling out of Trinidad? As you can see I have lots of interest because a lot on the Santa Fe Trail Ranches is of interest to me. Husband finally retires in November and wouldn't mind selling this ranch.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I'm thinking of spending the weekend in Trinidad and Raton. Any idea of things to do while we're there?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:12 PM

I've never really stopped and taken a look at Raton but have spent time in Trinidad. Take Route 12 the whole circle. When you get to Cuchara stop there and have the best pizza at a little restaurant you can sit ourdoors. It is a ski area and the area will remind you of an Alpine Village. My favorite spots were Stonewall and Curchara. In Trinidad they have lots of museums and neat homes that are open for tours. Route 12 (going west of Trinidad) you'll see Trinidad Lake and actually several lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado