U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM

20 posts, read 53,299 times

Advertisements

Trying to relocate and have the proper zoning and regulations in order to have animals and birds. What kind of land do I look for (about 3 or 4 acres). Would I have to live in the county and what type of land where there would be no restrictions but near services. I am retired and was thinking of the Montana area but a few problems came up (cats, bears, extreme cold, and things of that nature. I am from Denver and wish to move out of the city,,I have pigeons for pets and love everyone of them and would like to also have a rescue center. Would the zoning be business 1 or 2 or agriculture or farming or what??? Really ignorant about all of this... How is the Trinidad area or even Lamar but what about the wind----I hate wind.....Any help appreciated..Flossey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,806 times
Trinidad seems nice. On our list. They have many 35 acre parcels that you can buy within minutes of the town. Town will not offer what Denver offers but it has grocery stores and I personally like the historic district. I stay at a B & B every year in the historic distict. I have a cattle ranch and want to downsize it all but still want a little rural around me is why I am looking at the Santa Fe Trail Ranch subdivision.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-04-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM

4,629 posts, read 9,124,208 times
Flossey, if you find an area you like, don't rely on people on a forum or even your realtor to answer zoning questions for you. I've known people who have bought property based on their realtor telling them that their proposed use was ok, only to find out later from the local government that it was not allowed. Once you decide on the general location of where you want to look for land, call or visit the city or county zoning office and find out how the land is regulated. It'll save you lots of headaches!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM

345 posts, read 759,052 times
I am not into nightlife and etc but to me Trinidad was personally boring. Too far from other towns, not enough around it for me and etc.

You have to watch those 35 acres parcels. Many are in a POA-Property Owners Association and every bit as annoying as an HOA. A lady I know almost went to court with hers. I would not own land so others can tell me what to do or not do.

Water is also an issue over there. Her well dried up, they could not dig a new one since there was no water so they had to buy cisterns and haul it in once a week.

They do have mountain lions, bears and coyotes there. One lady lost a good amount of her llama herd to them. So much for their guardian ability

Not sure about wind, my area is windy, I dislike it but it is a part of life. You get use to chasing down your lawn chairs, buckets and etc

There are other areas you can look at the have a few acres and not that much predation. Up here in Weld County, yes we are windy, have to deal with coyotes, but this county as long as you are zoned AG and your place is not a wreck you can have pretty much most livestock, pigeons and etc and are not far from many cities.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,206,840 times
I lived in Trinidad- it's a depressed area with handsome buildings.

I also lived above Trinidad up above Aguilar in Trujillo Creek area by the Huajatola Mts. I was out running & ran right up to a mountain lion that had just killed a deer. We heard & saw coyotes & saw an occasional black bear too.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM

All your wonderful answer has given me a different flavor from each and I sure appreciate the information. Right now I am checking out the La Junta area of CO in order to see if that might be more satisfying to me...I sure appreciate your postings and thanks once again....flossey

Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,806 times
As bongo said Trinidad is depressed. I must say all rural areas seem depressed but judging from many like here in Eastern OK. I feel Trinidad will come back quite strong. I never run out of things to do in Trinidad. If your an oudoors type the list will go on and on. If your an artsy craftie type you will definitely fit in. Me, I will be hopefully selling a ranch (I am dividing it into parcels if I can't sell it whole) and would love the 35 acre parcel on the Santa Fe Ranch. In retirement we can walk and do all the "fun" things we do on the ranch without working the cows!! I think I could drive the route 12 montly for some of the best scenery around. You can get to Santa Fe for some exciting fun stuff too plus if your a boater, I can't imagine not wanting to be on Trinidad Lake.

It was suggested that these 35 acres have zoning. Well, I like that. The subdivisions all 35 acre plus I've look at have water/electric to the lot so you don't have to worry about digging a well unless you want to.

P.S. I've look at some really neat homes in the historic district and talked to locals. What I liked is the several I talked to were not from Trinidad but picked it for retirement. Either because of the prices, golfing, boating not to mention it has a really neat farmer's market. They have woman's group. Classes in lots of the artsy stuff to do. I think I could live in town too.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM

I appreciate the reply and will keep this information (in my brain) for extra resources...When I find out what I am doing I will update this thread.. Thank you Debbie at bouontiful..appreciate the information. flossey

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 19,444 times
I think Trinidad is what you make of it. We vacationed there the 1st week of this month. It was very genuine -- not phony like Manitou Springs. We plan to go back in Dec. May relocate there . . .

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,797,074 times
I always thought Trinidad was depressed too. However, I drove through there today and noticed more than a few HUGE homes overlooking the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado