U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM

859 posts, read 1,715,939 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am losing my mind trying to make a decision here. Here is some background..

We have moved yearly for the past several years..... WI, NY, MI, GA several places between those states. We were born and raised in lower MI, i lived in CO for a couple years as a teen and have visited a couple times since then. We can live anywhere, as we work from home aside from one week per month travel.

I've ALWAYS wanted to move back to Colorado. I LOVED living in a small mountain town. I LOVED the climate and the people, so many of the attractions... the camping, the flea market, the restaurants, most of all the nature and the beauty of the mountains and the wildlife!

But time goes on, and priorities change, etc. now we are looking at the western U.P. of MI so that we are close to work (we usually have to fly in once per month to the office in WI, otherwise work from home) we are tired of flying that often, and it is bad for my anxiety. we would prefer to be within a few hours of the office so that planes are not necessary, and we wouldn't be so far apart in case of conflicting schedules, emergencies, etc. another thing is, we would be close to our church (which we keep telling ourselves with each move that we will find another that we like but are always disappointed. another reason is we'd be closer to family. Family is in MI, WI and MN. which has it's good and bad...

michigan definitely has it's logical reasons. colorado has its obvious benefits. i'm tired of moving every year and ending up every time regretting that it wasn't colorado. but i don't want to move to colorado and think.. man.. MI made so much more sense. i'm concerned about living in rural MI because rural WI plain sucked. but i enjoyed rural CO... ??

does anyone have any personal experience or advice to give?? our kids are getting to the age where we want to settle down for their sake. we need for this to be our last move for a long while. i'm so torn!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,196,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
But time goes on, and priorities change, etc. now we are looking at the western U.P. of MI so that we are close to work (we usually have to fly in once per month to the office in WI, otherwise work from home) we are tired of flying that often, and it is bad for my anxiety. we would prefer to be within a few hours of the office so that planes are not necessary, and we wouldn't be so far apart in case of conflicting schedules, emergencies, etc. another thing is, we would be close to our church (which we keep telling ourselves with each move that we will find another that we like but are always disappointed. another reason is we'd be closer to family. Family is in MI, WI and MN. which has it's good and bad...

The paragraph above is pretty clear to me. You want to stay within a few hours of the office so you won't have to fly, and you want to be close to your church and family... well, that's not possible if you move to Colorado. Perhaps you should plan more vacations in Colorado to fulfill your desire for the things that you are drawn to here.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM

843 posts, read 1,255,383 times
It sounds like you've answered your own question. If you moved out here, it won't fulfill your dreams.

I have to say, I grew up in Chicago and LOVED it. Have always wanted to move back there. When I visited a couple years ago, I realized how I had changed as a person, and how the idealized version of what I remembered nicely eliminated the negatives that I saw clearly when I visited. (the negatives that pertained to my personal needs, naturally)

Perhaps what you remember about CO is colored from your experience as a teen, and won't necessarily match your needs as an adult.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
My thoughts too.

Moving to a mountain town means a long drive to Denver airport, or flying in and out of small mountain airports that can be a bit tricky to say the least. This is a typical mountain airport in Colorado, a bit of a skill test for pilots, and I've seen pix here in City-Data of much worse, but I can't find it now.

Leadville airport.

Aspen airport.

Telluride airport.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-21-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM

102 posts, read 277,979 times
We live near Green Bay, WI and I just laugh at your deciding between the UP and Colorado... while it sounds like it makes more sense for you to live in the UP, the UP is just as plain and boring and lifeless as rural WI. I'm dreaming of getting out of here as soon as we find jobs! What is your work?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,116 times
As a Michigan resident......... i would choose Colorado.........and honestly, it sounds like thats where your heart is.
lisa66

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM

859 posts, read 1,715,939 times
every single one of you have a valid point. you all sound exactly how i do inside my head lol

but i am worried about the airports in CO.... that has been weighing on my mind as well.. i wonder if we should give up the work from home gig and just do that 9-5 in colorado. that would solve, well, some of the issues..

i hope we can afford to visit both the UP and CO again before we have to make the decision this summer. i am SO INDECISIVE. i wish we were rich so we could just have two homes lol

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
Check out our existing threads on Salida, CO and Buena Vista, CO.

These are smallish towns that aren't too deep in the snow like Aspen, etc.

Salida airport doesn't seem too bad.

The airport in Buena Vista looks right decent and the town is 102 miles and about 2 hours drive (in good weather and dry road conditions) from COLO SPGS which has a sizable airport, though still nothing like the huge airport in Denver, about 3.5 hours max from BV.

Both of these towns have excellent year round sports, river rafting, fly fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-21-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM

102 posts, read 277,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
i wish we were rich so we could just have two homes lol
Oh how nice that would be!! Can you get a direct flight to and from CO and the UP? That would be nice! Or could you handle your WI business via Skype?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM

486 posts, read 1,239,667 times
I am very familiar with the U.P. of Michigan.... I would chose Colorado in a heartbeat over the U.P.!

However, I can tell you from personal experience that airflight from Colorado to the U.P. is sketchy and expensive and usually a couple of connecting flights. Not a fun trip to make, especially if you have to make it often. And luggage gets lost every time!

You have a tough decision because of your family and work situation, but in terms of quality of life, most areas of Colorado would be above and beyond what there is in the U.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or