Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The biggest animal threat in CO is someone elses dog.
So true.

Life: Rebel dog owners cross law, anger other people | dog, dogs, leash - Gazette.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM

156 posts, read 946,785 times
I would worry more about the snakes in Florida... Pygmy, Timber and Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes, Copperhead, Cottonmouth and Coral snakes. More in Central Florida than south. I have a friend in Lutz (north of Tampa) that gets rattlers sunbathing on her back patio.
Then you have alligators, crocodiles, bears, panthers, scorpions, brown recluse. Then you go in the ocean...

Colorado just has Western (Prairie) Rattlesnakes, Massassauga Rattlesnakes, Black Widows, Black Bears, Mountain Lion, Lynx, Coyotes, possibly wolves migrating in.

Last edited by kwk722; 07-23-2007 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Around Colorado Springs is very good rattlesnake habitat. As I said earlier, just about anywhere in the Front Range foothills, they are relatively common. Some of the area around Canon City is particularly prime.
Could be but I live around Canon city, ride a great deal out in open land. Never have seen or heard a rattlesnake. But have seen and heard them up the Beaver Creek area of Penrose. Lots of them there. Boy scouts were throwing them out of their tents. Don't go around sticking you hands under the rocks in that area. Seen one up the river fishing one time. But I did get chased by a Red Racer one time on my horse. No kidding those little devils have a nasty temper! That is the only rattlers I have seen around Canon. My hubby brought home a Timber Rattler that was huge from an elevation well above 8000 ft. Only one we have ever seen that high. Would you believe they skinned and cooked it on the BBQ. Not bad not bad at all. Looked like the back of rabbit. When they skinned it tho it sure did stink. When cooked it disappeared. Snakes do have a destintive smell. I am sure that is why dogs seem to always know when they are around. If I can smell it in a snake exhibit, then they are bound to smell one outside.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Could be but I live around Canon city, ride a great deal out in open land. Never have seen or heard a rattlesnake. But have seen and heard them up the Beaver Creek area of Penrose. Lots of them there. Boy scouts were throwing them out of their tents. Don't go around sticking you hands under the rocks in that area. Seen one up the river fishing one time. But I did get chased by a Red Racer one time on my horse. No kidding those little devils have a nasty temper! That is the only rattlers I have seen around Canon. My hubby brought home a Timber Rattler that was huge from an elevation well above 8000 ft. Only one we have ever seen that high. Would you believe they skinned and cooked it on the BBQ. Not bad not bad at all. Looked like the back of rabbit. When they skinned it tho it sure did stink. When cooked it disappeared. Snakes do have a destintive smell. I am sure that is why dogs seem to always know when they are around. If I can smell it in a snake exhibit, then they are bound to smell one outside.
Nadine I laughed so hard at your post I choked on my taco

Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Had to be a Western (Prairie) Rattlesnake, Timbers are only out in the eastern US

Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Years ago, a family friend had a quarry near Canon City. When they would unload a truckload of rock from of the quarry for a customer, the driver would take a shovel and kill the rattlesnakes in the load--usually 5 or 6 in a 20 ton load of rock. I also had a friend who worked on the track gang on the railroad in the Royal Gorge. They were constantly finding rattlers sunning themselves on the ties when it was cool in the morning. Not that any of that would diminish the attractiveness of Canon City--it's a nice town, rattlers and all . . .

Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Years ago, a family friend had a quarry near Canon City. When they would unload a truckload of rock from of the quarry for a customer, the driver would take a shovel and kill the rattlesnakes in the load--usually 5 or 6 in a 20 ton load of rock. I also had a friend who worked on the track gang on the railroad in the Royal Gorge. They were constantly finding rattlers sunning themselves on the ties when it was cool in the morning. Not that any of that would diminish the attractiveness of Canon City--it's a nice town, rattlers and all . . .
That's funny. That is exactly how my hubby got the monster. In a rock quarry were he worked, only this was near Leadville. But yes rattlers like the rocks to absorb heat from them in morn and shade when hot, only way reptiles have of adjusting body temp. So naturally rock quarries are going to be rattler country. But not just in Canon. Am told that it is true of most no matter where they are in Co. NM etc.

An odd thing is it seems to be born into horses to be frightened of the rattle sound. Maybe not so odd.

Last edited by Nadine; 07-23-2007 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk722 View Post
Had to be a Western (Prairie) Rattlesnake, Timbers are only out in the eastern US
People call anything that rattles in timber country a Timber Rattlesnake--right or wrong. The truth is I believe it was not a Prairie Rattler but a Western Diamond Back. We had to keep the skin of coarse stretched on a board. It was supposed to be made into a hat band. Never happened.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 AM

Sorry I didnt mean to jump in on your story, but... No Diamondbacks in Colorado either.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk722 View Post
Sorry I didnt mean to jump in on your story, but... No Diamondbacks in Colorado either.
They have been found before usually near the NM border. The skin ended up at CSU. The odd thing was where it was found. I was mistaken as to where, Hubby just straightened me out. Not in the quarry in Leadville but when they were digging aspens above Westcliffe. The valley floor of Westcliffe is 8000, this was higher in the Sanges in the Quakies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado