U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM

9,331 posts, read 5,833,175 times

Advertisements

I never saw one when I lived in colorado. But, two weeks ago a friend's little girl found a small one on their driveway in Golden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 AM

19,076 posts, read 8,986,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I never saw one when I lived in colorado. But, two weeks ago a friend's little girl found a small one on their driveway in Golden.
While not a rattlesnake, I nearly stepped on a snake in Golden just one block from the main street when I was there two weeks ago.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times
I continually hike the canyons in the state wildlife area southwest of Lake Pueblo State Park, (I am a professional artist and pack in all my painting gear). These canyons are rocky and primitive with plenty of Cholla Cactus, Juniper and Chamisa. This area is considered the high desert, beautiful country...I wear LONG PANTS and HIGH TOP LEATHER BOOTS when I go in, NEVER shorts and hiking boots. Fortunately, in all the years I've been hiking that country I've never had the bad luck of coming across a rattler although I'm sure they're there and they probably have observed me from a distance. I respect the terrain and the wildlife that calls it home...When I walk, I make plenty of noise, watch the ground where I am walking and sweep the ground and vegetation in front of me with an extra long hiking stick. If I step across a log or a rock I bang on it and sweep in front of it with my stick...In hot weather I always check the shady spots before I drop my pack and get comfortable. Use a little common sense and you should be fine. Nothing disturbs me more than to see people dressed as if they were going to their local pool, instead of going into rough country filled with things and circumstances that could quickly turn a good day into a very bad one indeed.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Although it certainly wasn't a rattler...just a common garden snake...I almost stepped on one yesterday on the sidewalk at the visitor center in downtown Estes Park. So that's my second Colorado snake in my 5 months here...both within city limits. None out while hiking.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
RUBEN: I like riding mountain bikes, and I'm a little concern of going arround a blind turn, and finding one, would they stay on the trail after felling the vibration of the bike closing up.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,942,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben castaneda View Post
RUBEN: I like riding mountain bikes, and I'm a little concern of going arround a blind turn, and finding one, would they stay on the trail after felling the vibration of the bike closing up.
They won't give any indication they know you're there unless you get within 4 or 5 feet of them.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,581,757 times
I'm a lot less concerned about rattlesnakes in Colorado than I am here in PA. We have bigger rattlers here than in CO and in larger numbers. Those timber rattlers in the PA mountains can be real nasty although they're really quite shy and will flee unless surprised. We also have those even more dangerous Copperheads. Copperheads don't warn you and they are much smaller than most rattlers so they seem less dangerous. They're not, they will silently strike if you get too close. Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Trout Redirect

We have a rattlesnake roundup every year in one of the towns at the base of the "Endless Mountains" (part of the Appalachian range) in northeastern PA. Every year they'd round up thousands of rattlers and put on handling shows, etc. Noxen, Pennsylvania

Rattlers are protected in PA and it's against the law to kill them. The people who ran the roundup every year had to get a permit from the state for the roundup, and were required to return nearly all of them to their original habitat when the event was done.

When I move to the western slope in a few years, I'll be building on land at an altitude of 6,686'. So I'm sure I'll see some but the best advice is always to just let them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
We also have those even more dangerous Copperheads. Copperheads don't warn you and they are much smaller than most rattlers so they seem less dangerous. They're not, they will silently strike if you get too close.
Having hiked around Pennsylvania,Maryland, and Virginia for years, I quite disagree with you about copperheads being more dangerous than rattlers. Their poison is the weakest of all the vipers, and there are very few fatalities, even when left untreated.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,581,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Having hiked around Pennsylvania,Maryland, and Virginia for years, I quite disagree with you about copperheads being more dangerous than rattlers. Their poison is the weakest of all the vipers, and there are very few fatalities, even when left untreated.
Not more dangerous from a lethality standpoint, but from the standpoint of having no warning. They are silent and typically well camouflaged on the forest floors. I used to roam all through those forests as an outside plant engineer staking out pole lines in my younger days. No warning from copperheads when you're close and you just can't always see them. At least you get a warning with a rattler. In the south, people get bitten while they're gardening all of the time because they'll crawl through the bedding areas around the foundations of the homes.

Although the copperhead's bite is less lethal, you still don't want to get bitten.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Not more dangerous from a lethality standpoint, but from the standpoint of having no warning. They are silent and typically well camouflaged on the forest floors. I used to roam all through those forests as an outside plant engineer staking out pole lines in my younger days. No warning from copperheads when you're close and you just can't always see them. At least you get a warning with a rattler. In the south, people get bitten while they're gardening all of the time because they'll crawl through the bedding areas around the foundations of the homes.

Although the copperhead's bite is less lethal, you still don't want to get bitten.
I agree.

We are having quite a problem with copperheads right up to the door of the house I stay at in West Virginia sometimes and you have no warning.

And rattlers you don't always get warnings either.

I think at the end of the day most snakes just want to be left alone to do their thing. However I have come across a few that refused to give way.

I've never seen a snake in Colorado, that I recall, as most of the time, I ventured above 8000 ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or