U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

34 posts, read 112,897 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of reading regarding Utah and thought Logan just might be the place for my Catholic, Conservative family that loves horses and nature and good schools....in a not too big town. Logan sounds like a great possibility!

However, I started to read more and more about the weather inversions and now I am seriously considering taking Utah off the list. We live in northern Michigan and love the seasons (snow included!) but yucky, dirty smoggy air hanging around for days just sounds like a deal breaker for us.

This saddens me to no end. So, can anyone tell me how many days one of these inversions last (on average). I realize they occur most typically in the winter.

We were intially considering Colorado Springs but the sprawl issue there was a big turn off! And then I 'discovered' Utah and Logan and now this darn inversion issue. WAAAAHHH. Ah...no place is perfect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Pam View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading regarding Utah and thought Logan just might be the place for my Catholic, Conservative family that loves horses and nature and good schools....in a not too big town. Logan sounds like a great possibility!

However, I started to read more and more about the weather inversions and now I am seriously considering taking Utah off the list. We live in northern Michigan and love the seasons (snow included!) but yucky, dirty smoggy air hanging around for days just sounds like a deal breaker for us.

This saddens me to no end. So, can anyone tell me how many days one of these inversions last (on average). I realize they occur most typically in the winter.

We were intially considering Colorado Springs but the sprawl issue there was a big turn off! And then I 'discovered' Utah and Logan and now this darn inversion issue. WAAAAHHH. Ah...no place is perfect...
Perhaps you want to post this in the Utah forum, rather than the Fort Collins, CO forum.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Pam View Post

A question better posed on the Utah forum, but here is my answer. Anywhere west of the Continental Divide in Colorado or just about anywhere in the valleys in Utah (same with many locales in Idaho and Montana) is subject to severe air inversions in winter. If there is a substantial population there at all, that can mean significant air quality problems in winter. Salt Lake City, Provo, Ogden, and Logan are subject to those severe inversions and can have periodically dismal air quality. So can the west central valleys of Colorado, especially the larger population areas like Grand Junction.

On Colorado's Front Range, the frequent Chinook winds in winter can clean the air pollution out, but when those winds are not present, the air can stagnate there, as well. The sheer amount of population on the Front Range means significant air pollution. There are days with weak Chinook winds when the "pollution plume" from Denver can extend as far north as north of Fort Collins and northeastward along the South Platte River valley 125 miles northeast of Denver to Sterling. If the wind blows from the east (which it frequently does in advance of a winter storm) air pollution can be forced 40 miles up into the foothills west of Denver.

Also, most high altitude population centers in the Rocky Mountain West have problems with ozone pollution in summer. Fact is, in most of the Rocky Mountain West, while the mountains and unpopulated areas of the deserts and plains may have pretty pristine air, where most of the people live in the urban and suburban areas have significant air pollution issues. The Chambers of Commerce usually leave that dirty little secret out of their advertising.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
I'll probably move this to the main COLO forum since the OP seems to have ruled out UTAH.

Meanwhile, COLO SPGS does have some sprawl issues, but most of the Front Range area of COLO has the same problem.

Try looking at Parker or Castle Rock just south of Denver. There is a large horse center in Parker and lots of horse lovers all along the I-25 corridor. If you have horses you will find many others here who also love them.

Try the index of key threads in COLO and/or Denver forums under the topic of equestrian for a lot of great info already posted.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Inversions are going to happen anywhere mountains exist. Just the way it is.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,153,788 times
my cousins live in Logan-the inversions there can get very bad in the winter. Much like SLC. But it wont be like it lasts all winter long, only when persistent high pressure is in place. Logan is super nice for the most part-would not complain if having to live there-and my family is non-Mormon.

Last edited by CTC; 02-24-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: add to comment

Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Logan & otherwise

With a brief acquaintance, Logan, UT seems to me a fairly nice place. An isolated and beautiful valley with hills to the west, mountains to the east, not to mention a fair amount of water. It is a large enough town to offer a good variety of everyday services, but small enough to seem manageable and pleasant. As most towns in Utah, also clean and orderly.

I cannot speak to the air quality, other than to say it was fine when I visited in the summer. Surely better than Salt Lake City, which might be hoped for, as that place can be simply awful sometimes. When through there last winter, I hadn't got much west of Park City before the air began to assume a grey and unpleasant aspect, and near pea soup in reaching Salt Lake City. One might suspect otherwise, as there is no obstruction west of this town all the way to Wendover, NV, near flat as a pancake. But that soupy inversion persisted across that entire distance, not left behind until climbing up and out west of Wendover. I do not know how often that type of thing occurs, but it would be neither pleasant or healthy in the moment.

As for Colorado, I've never seen anything approaching that of SLC along the front range. Although it is evident at times, particularly from a distance, that Denver and other locals do not have the cleanest air. Denver's is surely the worst, but in context I could point to Fort Collins, well to the north, as being more usually fairly good. It too at times can present a slight ugly haze hanging over all, but that evident from a distance, and it generally seems fine.

Each specific local will of course be different. So in checking you will want to know more than just the general state. But I would stay out of Salt Lake City, at least on certain days.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
Have you considered Cheyenne, WY? They are rated as being one of the cleanest air cities in the nation, and it sounds like you'd fit in there. It's on the plains, but within driving distance to mountains.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Have you considered Cheyenne, WY? They are rated as being one of the cleanest air cities in the nation, and it sounds like you'd fit in there. It's on the plains, but within driving distance to mountains.
I know from firsthand experience, Cheyenne generally has great air quality. Only occasionally would the odors from the local refinery be noticeable in town. On very rare occasions, the smog plume from the Colorado Front Range would reach Cheyenne, but usually would be blown out by the near-constant wind in Cheyenne in short order. Of course, then there is the wind there--constant and often strong--the reason why there was no smog . . .

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM

34 posts, read 112,897 times
Thanks all for the info..but just HOW long do these inversions typically last??...3 days?...2 wks?..just an average. I have dug deeper into researching these inversions (had never heard of them before, being from Michigan). As far as Utah, it appears that most mention Logan and Salt Lake City, although one of you mentioned Provo. So..does it extend south from Salt Lake..for example, American Fork area?

Logan sounded so nice...not too big nor too small; nice downtown area; CLEAN (love a clean town);
trees and water (Bear Lake..reminds me of the turquoise water here in northern Michigan which IS amazing..but economy terrible here and family wants to go west). Logan also had the college which just built, or is in the process of building this major equine facility (my daughters are into horses ..barrel racing) which looks just amazing on their website. I am so bummed...can we build a big FAN and blow it all away!? HA!

So...looking around a bit towards the south of Logan and Salt Lake and my daughter did say that in talking to her barrel racing pals on some website, that the smaller towns south of Provo have lots of barrel racing events (small venues as well as larger ones). I was just hoping for a decent college for my daughters, and again, loved what I saw about USU and the charter school in Logan for my youngest (Thomas Edison). We are Catholic and Conservative and are a super-close family and it appears that Utah folks are family and church oriented, even if not (obviously) in the Catholic faith.

Some barrel racing girls have mentioned Cedar City to my daughter but I am not sure I want to go THAT hot and dry! Love my water and seasons and fall colors which are in abundance here in Michigan.

Now that you all know a bit about my wants and desires, maybe someone out there can enlighten us further to a place that may fit most of them. P.S. My husband works various places in the power plant construction business and has a good possibility of work in North Dakota (which does not appear at all to our liking) and so employment is not an issue. His type of work has him work several weeks on..a couple off..come to see us then back to work. We have gotten used to it and the money is so good that the situation works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado