Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM

97 posts, read 264,132 times

Advertisements

Colorado ranks No. 4 where Americans would most like to live according to the Northern Colorado Business Report
Colorado placed No. 4 among the nation's 50 states in a survey that asked Americans in which state they would most like to live.

Topping the Harris Poll annual survey was California followed by Hawaii and Florida. Behind Colorado, which moved up from No. 5 last year, were Arizona, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, New York and Washington.

The survey of 2,760 adults was taken between Sept. 14 and 20.

Colorado placed No. 7 on the list in 2006. Its highest ranking since 1997 was No. 2 in 1998 and 2000. The state has ranked No. 4 or higher nine times in the last 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

94 posts, read 490,908 times
I don't blame people for wanting to live here, it is a beautiful place!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,375,190 times
Articles like this is why the Front Range Urban Corridor is predicted to be one of the mega regions in the future and in my opinion is the best place to live in the country.

This thread should be in the main Colorado room as it is about the state and not just the Fort Collins area.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,383,997 times
So what? Another useless survey. That's like saying 9 out of 10 people would like to win the Powerball Lottery. Fact is, 999,999,999 of them won't. Same with Colorado--sure, lots of people would like to live here. Out of that bunch, very few actually manage it. Always been that way, always will be. In fact, as water and other resource constraints become even more severe, even fewer people will ever be able to manage it. So, the Chamber of Commerce-types can trumpet such a survey all they want. In the end, it means nothing.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM

812 posts, read 1,464,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In the end, it means nothing.
Well ... it is what it is. I suspect it isn't "nothing" but nor is it some predicator that everyone's about to pull up their bootstraps and move to Colorado. Being at or near the top of these "desireability" lists does, however, shed a degree of light on where population trends may be moving over decades and centuries, if not individual years.

Regarding water, one thing cities like LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix seem to show is that the engineers can find a way to make it happen if the political and economic will demands it.

I know there are folks who want 1962 to remain eternal (myself included in some ways), but as we all know it doesn't. In 1962, folks were nostalgic for 1925, and so on and so on, all the way back to the actual natives. The fact is people will load up a small wagon and pull it by hand from St. Louis to Salt Lake City if convinced that's what's required to get to the "promised land." If people today consider Colorado to be one of the modern-day equivalents of their own promised land, escaping whatever negativity they perceive to exist where they are, I'd say that means something rather than nothing. Until they change the Constitution and the right to cross state lines, 1962 ain't coming back, nor is 1925, nor is the original settlement of the West going away anytime soon. It evolves whether our natural curmudgeon likes it or not. But, as usual, I state the obvious.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So what? Another useless survey. That's like saying 9 out of 10 people would like to win the Powerball Lottery. Fact is, 999,999,999 of them won't. Same with Colorado--sure, lots of people would like to live here. Out of that bunch, very few actually manage it. Always been that way, always will be. In fact, as water and other resource constraints become even more severe, even fewer people will ever be able to manage it. So, the Chamber of Commerce-types can trumpet such a survey all they want. In the end, it means nothing.
Well this is the bigger news:

DENVER — Forbes this week named Colorado the fourth best state for business and economic growth for a second year in a row.

Forbes ranks Colorado first for the labor supply, sixth for overall economic climate and growth prospects and ninth for quality of life.

The Link: State high in Forbes rankings - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

This is why I am so excited about Colorado's future as I think we are the next mega region as millions of people move to the front range urban corridor between Pueblo and Fort Collins.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM

812 posts, read 1,464,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is why I am so excited about Colorado's future as I think we are the next mega region as millions of people move to the front range urban corridor between Pueblo and Fort Collins.
For better or worse, I suspect our "front range urban corridor" will not be among the 6-8 largest developing mega-regions, in part because of reasons jazzlover touched on and in part because I don't believe our entrenched Western mentality will ever submit to the transportational innovations mega-regions will likely require (i.e. that's my gobbledygook talk for "high-speed rail"). At least, we won't agree to pay our share of the cost of such a thing. I expect other regions will innovate and reap the long term rewards. Here, I expect more sprawl.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM

If Josseppie's prediction comes true, which I sincerely doubt, I'm really glad I will likely not be alive to see it. I pity what the quality of life--or lack thereof--will be for the coming generations in Colorado, thanks to the foolhardiness of people like him.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If Josseppie's prediction comes true, which I sincerely doubt, I'm really glad I will likely not be alive to see it. I pity what the quality of life--or lack thereof--will be for the coming generations in Colorado, thanks to the foolhardiness of people like him.
It will increase the quality of life in Colorado as we will have more world class restaurants, musicals, plays, concerts (in venues that are among the best in the world) in downtown's that rival any downtown in the United States. Then it will help the mountain towns as there will be more people to ski so that industry will thrive and it will help the eastern plains as the farmers will have more people to sell their produce too.

In fact I have a feeling that Colorado in the year 2100 with be better then even I can imagine and people know this and that is why we always get ranked high in any survey that looks at how much people like Colorado.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It will increase the quality of life in Colorado as we will have more world class restaurants, musicals, plays, concerts (in venues that are among the best in the world) in downtown's that rival any downtown in the United States. Then it will help the mountain towns as there will be more people to ski so that industry will thrive and it will help the eastern plains as the farmers will have more people to sell their produce too.

In fact I have a feeling that Colorado in the year 2100 with be better then even I can imagine and people know this and that is why we always get ranked high in any survey that looks at how much people like Colorado.
In other words, it will be a state filled with man-made crap that only blots out the stunning natural beauty of the place. It will be just like everyplace else, instead of the unique place that it is. I can't imagine anything more selfish and short-sighted that wishing Colorado to be something like everywhere else.

Once again, you should take Teddy Roosevelt's comment about the Grand Canyon to heart. It applies equally to Colorado:

Quote:
Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it. What you can do is to keep it for your children, your children's children, and for all who come after you, as one of the great sights which every American if he can travel at all should see.

We have gotten past the stage, my fellow-citizens, when we are to be pardoned if we treat any part of our country as something to be skinned for two or three years for the use of the present generation, whether it is the forest, the water, the scenery. Whatever it is, handle it so that your children's children will get the benefit of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado