U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

i dont know what to do...i want to move out of north carolina. i have lived here for 18 years now and all of its getting old to me. i keep moving around in hope that ill find "home" but i never do. i have wanted to move to colorado for a little bit now because i have heard that the area is beautiful and the people are nice.

but is it really such a nice place? and how do you decide where to move... do you decide on the weather, employment, people, or all three? i need advice on what to do!

my boyfriend is pretty easy going..he doesnt care where we move. he just wants to live in an area where the population is large so he can start his business. he pretty much told me to choose where i want to live and he will come along with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:23 PM

45 posts, read 317,625 times
Born & live in Boulder area, live in Colo Spgs for 6mo (10 yrs ago) have 1,3,5 yrs olds. Colo Spgs is nice and sometimes regret not staying there. However, I don't think 34 is any easier than I-25. T-REx road construction is gone (Denver). For kids, Spgs has a zoo and various fun parks. Denver has zoo, aquarium, childrens & nat'l Hx museum and the list gos on.

Boulder area has an outdoor advantage. We actually rent a three bdrm apt for $950 near downtown & park, plus pool, few college students. So finding something circa $1500 rent in Boulder is not impossible. Boulder is the most liberal-minded versus Spgs being the opposite extreme and much more Christian - Focus on the Family, Denver somewhere inbetween.

We regret not moving to Ft. Collins (instead of Loveland) prices are reasonable and it's a nice college town near mtns.

Best Schools in Denver is Cherry Creek District (S. Denver, Centennial). My neice graduated from Creek and is going to Stanford - whatever that might mean to you.

I would avoid Lousiville - too Pleasant Valley Sunday for my tastes. (Between Denver & Boulder). Lots of Denver is that way too. My concern about going south (Parker) Denver to the Spgs is Water. The get put on lots for Water Restrictions.

Most of Colorado is beautiful. The Light-Rail out of Denver will eventually reach Ft. Clns to Colorado Springs and also up to Longmont & Boulder. And going to Denver to see the kid friendly things from Boulder really isn't much to worry about. We have memberships to Zoo & History Museum and live in Loveland (45min drive) North. Additionally, I drive to In-laws in South Denver once a week. You do have to accept the mind-set that to see things in Colorado usually means driving. IE, our work group in Spgs used to joke that it takes 15min. to get anywhere in the Spgs, even to go across the street.

You could stay in Denver (Brown Palace Hotel?) and visit Boulder - no problem. Might want to change when you go to Spgs (Ahhh! - Broadmoor). There are definately more towns to visit in Denver area - so I would make that the longer stretch. I find once you are past Spgs (to the South), the landscape gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The more south you go the hotter it gets! I think that's partly why Boulder is so popular. You get a decent amount of snow in winter and the summer is not too bad (105 tops) Plus, you have skiing 30 mins away and Denver 30 mins (with good traffic).

Well, I think I have jumped around enough, not exactly a college essay - LOL - Good Luck

Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,543,727 times
Just a comment, not on Colorado specifically, but on looking at areas. See if you can find a local festival of some sort - food, wine, art, crafts, etc. We did this recently when contemplating a move, and felt it gave us a great snapshot of the community. Better than just driving around and checking out the shopping mall.

~Ruby (who is just poking around and wistfull dreaming of a job in Boulder)

Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM

13 posts, read 53,858 times
Thanks to everyone. This is a great board. The festival idea is wonderful too. I am glad to find someone who lives in Boulder and reccomends it as well because I was starting to mark it off the list before I even went to see it. We will be leaving in a week or so to do the scouting trip and this board has been amazing with help. Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 AM

18 posts, read 88,601 times
FYI - Water restrictions in Parker are non-existant, Parker is one of the older towns and holds legacy water rights. The entire time I lived in Parker I didn't see one instance of water restrictions. I did see it a lot in Denver and Aurora (Aurora is last in line for water rights).

My opinion on Boulder is political.

If you are conservative, Boulder is not a good idea, as it is the Berkley of Colorado. If your leanings are liberal, you will feel welcome there.

Seems trite to say it that way, but it really is, to me, an accurate representation of Boulder.....it really is an area in and of itself in the Denver Metro area......politics aside though, Boulder is gorgeous.

Another thing to keep in mind with Boulder is hwy options. There is only one main hwy in and out of Boulder and it gets crammed real quick. If you live and work in Boulder, obviously it isn't a concern, but if you decide to commute to denver, it can get ugly real quick (I used to commute along hwy 36 often and hated every minute of it)

Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 AM

Thank you for your info on Boulder. BTW does Parker seem connected to Denver or totally seperate? I do not mind a smaller area if it is connected to a larger metro type area since we like to go and do a lot.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 AM

10,679 posts, read 28,504,890 times
it is connected, a little on the outskirt side, but connected to Castle Rock, I-25, Lincoln Ave to Lone Tree & Light Rail downtown, Park Meadows Mall, Parker Road to I-225 & DIA...

Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks! One other question about the school districts. Do you have to stay in your district or do you have a choice. Where we live you can go outside district if you get approval from the school and are willing to bring your children to school yourself. I was wondering if Denver and or Colorado Springs were this way as well or if the good schools are to full to even offer this option.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM

10,679 posts, read 28,504,890 times
littleton schools in arapahoe county had offered that option in the past, even busing highlands ranch (douglas county) kids north. some of the charter schools offer transportation. you will have to check with the school you want to get into.

The douglas county school system has a transfer option. you need to apply in January for the next school year, but you will not get in if the student population is at or near the max.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
Colorado Springs is lovely--I don't know about the job situations etc--if it's getting larger then there must be more opportunities. They say it will be nothing but houses, business etc. from here to Colorado Springs in the future--hate to see this--Colorado Springs doesn't seem to get as cold as here and I think it's quiet and pleasant. My sisters kids went to Cherry Creek Schools which used to be rated as some of the best in Colorado, they lived in Aurora Colorado-Boulder Colorado is great also--they keep the cost of Houses etc. High so this seems to keep the population down. Hope you enjoy Colorado!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or