Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

The Pueblo Chieftain gave me a good Christmas present today with a story on Pueblo Springs Ranch.

First I found out that its a 3 year agreement so it might not get started in 2014:

The Pueblo Springs Ranch partnership wants council to extend that lariat for another three years, giving them time to complete an annexation agreement with Pueblo.

However this is the part that I really found interesting:

“There is a new partnership wanting to develop the property,” he said. “So much money has been invested in this, I can’t imagine the investors just walking away.”

The new developers, all limited partnerships, are based in Las Vegas and Phoenix. David Lytle is the group’s local attorney.

“These are experienced developers who have done these kinds of major projects before,” Lytle said Tuesday.

Finally talk about a big development:

When done, the annexation would nearly double the size of Pueblo, which is 36,000 square acres.

- See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain | Pueblo Springs Ranch being revived

Now I am not going to say that this development will cause Pueblo to be anywhere near the size of Denver, it wont. What it will do is cause Pueblo to grow significantly over the next 30 years, especially with the new tech park that I am told will be the largest in the state.

Back in the early to mid 20th century Pueblo was significantly growing thanks manufacturing and the steel industry then it collapsed in the 1980's yet because of what the local leaders did the city still grew about 7% compared to other steel cities losing over 25% of their population. Two good examples are Youngstown Ohio and Gary Indiana. Then a few years ago, before this recession, economists at CU Boulder had predicted Pueblo to see significant growth over the next 30 years. This recession put that on hold a few years but it looks like we are back on track and I could not be more happier. It would sure be awesome, at least from my perspective, if the Pueblo MSA could top 500,000 people by 2040.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-25-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 PM

I thought someone might ask me to post where economists at CU said that so I did a Google search. This was from the 2008 economic forecast, before the recession, but is still applicable for Pueblo Springs Ranch.

This is from CU:

oPueblo County - Historically, Pueblo County has experienced moderate population growth. This trend will change when the Pueblo Springs Ranch is complete. The 23,000-acre subdivision in northeast Pueblo County is expected to have about 75,000 households, or 200,000 people when completed. The Historic Arkansas Riverwalk Project has begun to pay the economic dividends its creators intended. In August 2007, the new 44,000-square-foot headquarters of the Professional Bull Riders Association was dedicated, and new restaurants and other establishments have opened near the new building.

See more at: Colorado Economy To Grow Slightly In 2008 CU-Boulder Forecast Predicts | University of Colorado Boulder

Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 AM

802 posts, read 983,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Because Pueblo is about to see significant growth?
because another corporate theme park, if successful, will ruin the slow-growth potential of the area.
it may be a short-term good if it actually produces jobs for locals, but the long-term problems
will likely outweigh that unless good people wrest control away from the carpet-baggers.
either way, i wish you luck with it.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
because another corporate theme park, if successful, will ruin the slow-growth potential of the area.
I hope so. I want to see significant growth in Pueblo by 2040.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:09 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
The Pueblo Chieftain gave me a good Christmas present today with a story on Pueblo Springs Ranch.

First I found out that its a 3 year agreement so it might not get started in 2014:

The Pueblo Springs Ranch partnership wants council to extend that lariat for another three years, giving them time to complete an annexation agreement with Pueblo.

However this is the part that I really found interesting:

“There is a new partnership wanting to develop the property,” he said. “So much money has been invested in this, I can’t imagine the investors just walking away.”

The new developers, all limited partnerships, are based in Las Vegas and Phoenix. David Lytle is the group’s local attorney.

“These are experienced developers who have done these kinds of major projects before,” Lytle said Tuesday.

Finally talk about a big development:

When done, the annexation would nearly double the size of Pueblo, which is 36,000 square acres.

- See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain | Pueblo Springs Ranch being revived

Now I am not going to say that this development will cause Pueblo to be anywhere near the size of Denver, it wont. What it will do is cause Pueblo to grow significantly over the next 30 years, especially with the new tech park that I am told will be the largest in the state.

Back in the early to mid 20th century Pueblo was significantly growing thanks manufacturing and the steel industry then it collapsed in the 1980's yet because of what the local leaders did the city still grew about 7% compared to other steel cities losing over 25% of their population. Two good examples are Youngstown Ohio and Gary Indiana. Then a few years ago, before this recession, economists at CU Boulder had predicted Pueblo to see significant growth over the next 30 years. This recession put that on hold a few years but it looks like we are back on track and I could not be more happier. It would sure be awesome, at least from my perspective, if the Pueblo MSA could top 500,000 people by 2040.
I don't see how Pueblo's current economy would allow for such growth. The unemployment rate there, while improved, still stands at 8.7%. If you look at the stats for Pueblo from the Economy at a Glance, put out by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Pueblo's economy appears anemic at best. As things now stand, I can't imagine thousands of people moving to Pueblo Springs Ranch or anywhere else in Pueblo for that matter. Where are the major employers? Where are the good paying jobs? So much money has been invested in the project that some lawyer can't imagine investors just walking away? I guess, if those investors don't mind throwing good money after bad.

Or maybe they could turn the whole thing into a scam for innocents living out of state the way Forbes Trinchera and others marketed 5 acre "ranchette" properties in the cold and arid San Luis Valley. I remember seeing a Forbes Trinchera ad on the back of the effing New Yorker magazine years ago. "Forbes Trinchera! Buy a ranch starting at 5 acres in Colorado's lovely San Luis Valley - Land of Cool Sunshine!" The blurb was accompanied by a photo shopped picture of the Valley taken through a telephoto lens. It looked green and verdant instead of dry and covered with sagebrush the way it really is. The Sangres seemed to tower on the horizon, surely as huge as the Himalayan Range. My then husband and I had a good laugh over that one.

I can see it now: "Pueblo Springs! [btw WHAT springs?] Buy a home in beautiful southern Colorado and live the dream! Hear the patriotic sound of artillery from near-by Fort Carson when troops are down range getting ready for the next US invasion of a 3rd World Country!" Accompanying photo of northern Pueblo county looking green and lush with some nice looking mountains air brushed in since in real life the mountains of the Front Range don't appear all that spectacular around there. It's not exactly green either. Which brings me to my next point. When's the estimated start date for the Great Colorado Springs - Pueblo Water War? The Pueblo Water Board claims the city has enough water resources to sustain "modest" future growth - what ever "modest" means. A future metro area Pueblo of 500,000 with Colorado Springs already busily siphoning water off from Pueblo Reservoir NOW? The Springs has its own dreams of metastasizing out to the Kansas border and Colorado Springs is a lot bigger than you guys already. Plus, don't forget all that artillery at Fort Carson.

But don't let me spoil your dreams of turning Pueblo into just one more Front Range anthill. Colorado Springs had become unliveable long before its population hit the 500,000 mark and I left the Front Range for good and all. Let Pueblo snag all those newcomers and keep them from wandering over to the Western Slope. Highplainsrus will be the last to get a Western Slope passport. Everyone else can live the southern Colorado dream in Pueblo Springs. Good luck with your lawn.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:44 PM

^

My guess is they got the name from its location between Pueblo and Colorado Springs - Pueblo Springs. I am ok with that because it puts Pueblo before the Springs and that is how I think it should be.

The economists at CU Boulder seem to disagree with you and they have been putting a economic report on Colorado for years now.

Even if Pueblo did not buy anymore water we have plenty for a city of 500,000 people and I can guarantee you Pueblo will buy more water in the next 30 years.

So let the growth come here I am more then ready.

One last thing. Pueblo will be a much better and livable city and a downtown with actual sky scrapes at 500,000 then Colorado Springs is.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-26-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 PM

There is a new web page for the development! It looks great... I can't wait till it breaks ground.

This is how they describe Pueblo Springs Ranch:

Pueblo Springs Ranch is currently in the stages of annexation into the City of Pueblo. Pueblo Springs Ranch is a project with proposed master planned villages. The villages will be developed with single family residential, multi family residential, mixed use, commercial (retail), industrial park, and associated open space, golf course, community and neighborhood parks, and many other uses. Additionally, the master plan provides for schools and municipal facilities.

Pueblo Springs Ranch is endowed with its share of natural resources across 9,168 acres customized to provide quality living for individuals while assuring long-term managed smart growth and sustainability for a greater community with the Main Street USA look and feel. It will have walk-able connected green neighborhoods with trails throughout.

Pueblo Springs Ranch takes on the challenging, long-term process of planning, designing, and building a community that seamless interweaves traditional planning with a dynamic land usage scheme that supports residential, commercial, mixed-use, retail and industrial applications, adjoining open space usage conducive to outdoor rest and relaxation. Likewise, the development will be integrated with the existing ecological system to create an efficient community that preserves and capitalizes on the natural ecology of the region.

Strategically located, the Town Center brings together the essential elements for successful urban plaza interactions which range from window shopping, community activities, retail shops and groceries, cafes and restaurants.

I liked how they describe Pueblo:

Pueblo Colorado is located at the confluence of the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek, Pueblo has been an important crossroads for transportation and trading for more than 150 years, making it the economic hub of southeastern Colorado.

The link: pueblo-springs-ranch

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-26-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 01:43 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
^

My guess is they got the name from its location between Pueblo and Colorado Springs - Pueblo Springs. I am ok with that because it puts Pueblo before the Springs and that is how I think it should be.

The economists at CU Boulder seem to disagree with you and they have been putting a economic report on Colorado for years now.

Even if Pueblo did not buy anymore water we have plenty for a city of 500,000 people and I can guarantee you Pueblo will buy more water in the next 30 years.

So let the growth come here I am more then ready.

One last thing. Pueblo will be a much better and livable city and a downtown with actual sky scrapes at 500,000 then Colorado Springs is.
Just for the record, that wasn't me, it was the 12/2013 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. We'll let the BLS and CU duke it out and see who wins. And keep on buying your imaginary water. You'll need it to have something to go along with that bridge you bought in Brooklyn.

Other than that, Pueblo can go ahead and annex the entire city of Colorado Springs plus its suburbs all the way up to and including Palmer Lake for all I care. Just be careful if you do. Mikefbe might get annoyed to find himself suddenly living in Pueblo Springs and close all your threads.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
I don't really think the developers have the City of Pueblo as their main center of interest/influence. It looks to me as another major development attached to COS. There is nothing now or in the foreseeable future of Pueblo that would justify building even a small development. But I can't even see the combined economies of COS and PUB having enough energy(growth-wise) to be able to make this work. The growth trend seems to be northward towards Denver, a major source of employment. I hate to see it, but I see Castle Rock extending southward before Pueblo grow northward. But on the other hand, if the land and homes are cheap enough, the expansion at Ft Carson and the growing number of retirees could provide enough interest in Pueblo Springs. I think a name change to "Springs South" would add a touch of class, though I doubt Joss would agree
Happy New Year Everyone!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I don't really think the developers have the City of Pueblo as their main center of interest/influence. It looks to me as another major development attached to COS. There is nothing now or in the foreseeable future of Pueblo that would justify building even a small development. But I can't even see the combined economies of COS and PUB having enough energy(growth-wise) to be able to make this work. The growth trend seems to be northward towards Denver, a major source of employment. I hate to see it, but I see Castle Rock extending southward before Pueblo grow northward. But on the other hand, if the land and homes are cheap enough, the expansion at Ft Carson and the growing number of retirees could provide enough interest in Pueblo Springs. I think a name change to "Springs South" would add a touch of class, though I doubt Joss would agree
Happy New Year Everyone!
Happy New Year to you too!

I don't see either Pueblo Springs Ranch (PSR) or Banning Lewis Ranch (BLR) ever having a prayer. The long and twisted tale of 22,000-acre BLR here on the far east side of COLO SPGS should be a cautionary tale for any developer with even a scintilla of reality-based thinking.

Unlike Denver, a critical mass of millions of existing residents, major airport, infrastructure, transit, and middle class or higher jobs is not found in either Pueblo or COLO SPGS to justify the development effort and I can't foresee the sort of influx to support the developer's pipe dreams (nocturnal emissions?).

Unless we totally throw open the doors to millions of immigrants per year, massive community developments like PSR and BLR will not happen. What we will see are steady efforts at infill that rides the coattails of existing utility and road infrastructures, with some growth nibbling around the edges of cities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado