Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times

Advertisements

I'm 31 and currently live in the UK. My wife (from the US) wants to leave the UK and head back to the States. I would like to try Colorado but I'm concerned about the job opportunities.

I currently work in retail as a management trainer and have about 7 years experience in management and training and a bachelors degree in economics. My work have granted me a 12 month unpaid career break in July so I could try Colorado and if it doesn't work I can come back again. I already have a green card and social security number.

If you were in my position, where would you recommend? We need:

* Job opportunities
* Outdoor activities (hiking, biking, beach, etc)
* somewhere where middle class families aren't on the breadline
* Good restaurants, nightlife

I know its all a little vague but I have to start somewhere!!!
[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM

345 posts, read 914,026 times
I am not sure what retail is like there but here, not such a good job. I worked in retail, long hours not lots of pay. Managers are on a salary not hourly pay, so you work 40 or 60 hours that week you get the same pay. Training, if you can expand your area aside from retail training you would have more opportunites.

Is a breadline like food stamps/welfare? Gettting goverment funds for food and such? If so all states have people getting those benefits, more so due to the economy but in general they do not run around telling you they get food stamps. For some it is needed but embarassing.

Plenty of outdoor activity here, coming from the UK, you would need to get use to the altitude, lots and lots of sun and what being a mile closer it to entails.

Plenty of restaurants.

Job opportunities are hit and miss in many states, including here. If you have a good amount of savings, your money is nearly doubled here you may have the time to find a good one.
But some things are more costly here. I was in London this past Summer and cannot believe how little you pay for internet and cell service. You also have health care that I wish we had here. The cheapest my husband state job offers for a family is $575 a month with a $1,500 deductable! We are so behind in that area to many other countries. So get a good check up before you leave and hope you do not have to see a doctor or a dentist while you are here, lol.

Where is your wife from? Does she have family in the states? Maybe they know of jobs and etc in their area and can give you some leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado