U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM

20,323 posts, read 37,832,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
... snip ... You'll find plenty of home schoolers and anti-immunization people here.
There was widespread notice in the media a few weeks ago saying that the study which generated all of the anti-immunization hubbub was in fact totally erroneous and bogus, i.e., there is no reason to fear immunizing children.

If we want to argue anti-immunization versus immunization we need to take it to the HEALTH forum and keep ourselves on topic of helping the OP with their quest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM

884 posts, read 1,465,485 times
You can be somewhat close to the large cities and still see significant snowfall. The area between Denver and Colorado Springs (Castle Rock, Monument, etc.) usually see more snowfall than the parent cities due to their higher elevation - without being in the mountains themselves.

Although, the housing in the area is one or the other - suburban or the rural/land-owning-type deal. Plus, you would most likely have to commute into the cities. And, the snow in this area still melts pretty fast. Denver's average snowfall is around 60 inches per year for specifics.

I would agree with others in that we're pretty libertarian here as well.

Our economy is no Texas, Oklahoma, or North Carolina right now, but it's better than a large portion of the country for sure. It also depends on the sector. My dad recently landed a job here, but he's in IT.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,236,992 times
Not Colorado.

Spokane, WA or Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM

12,849 posts, read 24,506,085 times
The Free State Movement for New Hampshire, as far as I could see, consisted of a handful of recent college grads who'd read too much Ayn Rand at a formative age and who didn't understand that very few people can up and move somewhere to try and make an elective majority. In fact, the guy who told me about it ended up in Salem, MA, because that's where his partner bought a condo and he ended up getting a career job there- so he's no longer interested in the Free State.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,682,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Free State Movement for New Hampshire, as far as I could see, consisted of a handful of recent college grads who'd read too much Ayn Rand at a formative age and who didn't understand that very few people can up and move somewhere to try and make an elective majority. In fact, the guy who told me about it ended up in Salem, MA, because that's where his partner bought a condo and he ended up getting a career job there- so he's no longer interested in the Free State.
14 or more FSPers got elected to office in the state.

Check the last election results - there was a tidal wave of change there. Not all due to the FSP, but certainly because the astute populace who also get out and vote.

If there is one state where freedom and small government can be preserved - it's New Hampshire. The FSP is just an organized movement there to ensure the state remains the "Live Free or Die" state.

That said, Colorado ain't bad either, but have my doubts about it's future. I see ( just an educated guess ) Colorado trending to something similar to California.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
I suggest that you make the move easier on yourself ( and your bank account! ) by simply moving cross state to the Asheville area. It sounds more amenable to what you are looking for than anyplace in Colorado that I am aware of. While the Asheville summers are still rather humid, the humidity is a bit less oppressive than it is in the Raleigh area, and the temperatures year round are usually a few degrees cooler. The city of Asheville is far more attractive than the sprawling suburbia of the Raleigh area. While no one honestly considers Asheville to be a snow lovers paradise, there can be some good snowfalls in the winter. Since it is so relatively close to your current home, it's worth checking out before making another cross country move that ( based on what you wrote ) is highly likely to be a BIG disappointment for you.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM

39 posts, read 55,535 times
Thanks, everyone. I can see that all of you are reading through what I wrote carefully since we have also considered both NH & the Asheville area. For a few reasons, we'd focused in CO, VT, & ME but never crossed NH & Asheville off the list entirely. That being said, a big concern with NH is the COL, particularly housing/property costs. Asheville, well. . . it's in NC, & I guess the place we landed gave us a bad taste for the state. I know, it's quite a large state so that's a rash generalization. CosmicWizard, in your opinion, why does Asheville sound like a good fit? Not too liberal? I'd also love to hear the same regarding NH from the various other posters' who mentioned it. I guess the consensus is that CO doesn't sound ideal for us. . .

Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
AstralSkier wrote:
CosmicWizard, in your opinion, why does Asheville sound like a good fit?
Mostly to make it less stressful for you, and knowing that a shorter distance move would be kinder and gentler to your bank accounts. Based on your initial post, you have already made a cross country move that hasn't panned out for you. That suggests to me anyway, that perhaps your moves are fueled by impulses that are not clearly defined in your connscious mind. There's something driving you to make these long distance moves that you may not even be aware of.

You also mentioned greenery and lakes. If that is truly important for you, you will probably be disappointed with Colorado. Not many natural lakes here and not much greenery compared to the eastern US. The only place in Colorado with a plethora of natural lakes is the Grand Mesa in western Colorado, about an hours drive from Grand Junction. But the Grand Junction area is primarily desert and red rock canyon country, with the Colorado and Gunnison rivers running thru it. I love that kind of environment so I am quite content living here, even after spending 16 years in the lush greenery of Virginia Beach...but I wasn't expecting greenery. From my visitis to the area, I knew it was DRY desert country.

I'm no expert on NC, but I have researched and visited Asheville in the past. The social mix there is closer to the social mix of Eugene than anywhere else in NC. Asheville also offesr many outdoor opportunities nearby, and as I previously stated, the climate would be more to your liking than the climate in the Raleigh-Durham area. It is a bit cooler and noticably less humid.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-08-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM

39 posts, read 55,535 times
Thanks for the reply, CosmicWizard. There were some valid reasons for both of our moves cross-country (school, family, etc.) but I have to say, I'm not looking forward to undergoing that stress again. Since Asheville was on our list of potential places (though a bit lower down on the list), I think I'll head over to the Western NC forum & try to get some more feedback. We're still open to suggestions, though, so if anyone wants to vouch for CO or any other location, our ears our open. Thanks for all of the info & suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado