U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 AM

23 posts, read 49,848 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Colorado Springs from TX this spring when our home sells. () We'll most likely be purchasing a brand new car before we go. Once we are there we will obviously need new tags, etc.

The sales tax here in TX is cheaper than CO. So will I have to pay sales tax all over again if I brought a brand new car purchased in TX? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until we move to CO to buy.

I prefer to buy here in TX, but I don't want to get burned if we move there with it.

Thanks in advance!
Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,680,182 times
Don't worry - they'll get you with the registration "fee".

Welcome to Taxorado.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
That depends. If you purchase a vehicle in Texas AND register it there, paying all applicable fees and taxes in Texas, you will not be liable for Colorado sales tax when you re-register it in Colorado. That DOES NOT change the requirement that must register and re-title your vehicle in Colorado within 90 days of establishing residency here. If you do not register the vehicle in Texas before moving to Colorado, then you will be required to pay applicable Colorado sales taxes when you register and title your vehicle here.

Undoubtedly, some smart*** will post something about just running your Texas plates until they expire, before registering your vehicle in Colorado. First, that is illegal. Second, it can put you in a world of hurt if you are involved in an accident in Colorado or get a traffic citation when your vehicle is not properly registered here. Not to mention the fact that many Coloradans are not impressed with Texas drivers here, anyway.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Colorado is going to stick you with a huge bill on registration for a new car. If you're going to buy in Texas, you should probably register in Texas first to avoid paying sales tax doubly. However, the fact that you already registered won't save you from the huge sticker shock on registration -- which is solely based on year/make/model.

However, you may want to consider a used car. Seriously. The first 2-3 years of a cars life, this state will nail you with taxes. After that, registration fees become much lower. After about 10 years taxes go down to next-to-nothing.

I guess it's figuring that "the rich" own new cars and "the poor" own old cars. You know, "soak the rich" and all that.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,229,017 times
Really, the registration fee in Co. is low at least compared to some states where you pay a registration fee and then you get a tax bill from the city or county you live in on the car. Compared to where I use to live, the Co. registration fee is half what the registration fee and tax was. Make sure you have proof that you paid sales and use tax in TX to avoid that having to be paid in Co.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM

331 posts, read 866,774 times
Registering my truck in VT was only $60. The fee here was about $140.

Then again, in VT, we were told the money went to repair roads in the non-winter months.

Here, the money supposedly goes to fixing roads and bridges, schools, libraries, fire departments, police, the city, the county, etc. I say 'supposedly' because sorry, but the roads here suck. Of course, there are tons of drivers, few highways, etc., so it's not really expected to have perfect roads either.

So when you think about it that way, your money goes pretty far when you register your vehicle here.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Registering my truck in VT was only $60. The fee here was about $140.

Then again, in VT, we were told the money went to repair roads in the non-winter months.

Here, the money supposedly goes to fixing roads and bridges, schools, libraries, fire departments, police, the city, the county, etc. I say 'supposedly' because sorry, but the roads here suck. Of course, there are tons of drivers, few highways, etc., so it's not really expected to have perfect roads either.

So when you think about it that way, your money goes pretty far when you register your vehicle here.
I thought fuel taxes were supposed to repair & maintain the roads?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

75 posts, read 270,257 times
Thumbs down Registration Fees

Recently I purchased a new vehicle and upon registering the vehicle had to pay almost $500. I understand that CO works based on taxable value of the vehicle; however can someone explain to me logically why CO decided to charge registration in this manner? When I lived in Michigan, you pay a flat registration fee based on the weight of the car which hardly changed year after year. It seems to me that the system CO has in place discourages people from buying new cars because of the huge impact to the walet for the first 5 - 7 years. Does CO have a website where one can calculate the approx registration fee before deciding to purchase a new vehicle?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
Recently I purchased a new vehicle and upon registering the vehicle had to pay almost $500. I understand that CO works based on taxable value of the vehicle; however can someone explain to me logically why CO decided to charge registration in this manner? When I lived in Michigan, you pay a flat registration fee based on the weight of the car which hardly changed year after year. It seems to me that the system CO has in place discourages people from buying new cars because of the huge impact to the walet for the first 5 - 7 years. Does CO have a website where one can calculate the approx registration fee before deciding to purchase a new vehicle?
It actually has a negative effect as people continue to drive old polluting clunkers to avoid paying the hefty registration fees.

Eventually, I see a emissions inspection racket ala NY, NJ, etc where if your vehicle fails to pass inspection, then you can't register. Then the state will have you by the you know what.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,922,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboi81 View Post
Recently I purchased a new vehicle and upon registering the vehicle had to pay almost $500. I understand that CO works based on taxable value of the vehicle; however can someone explain to me logically why CO decided to charge registration in this manner?
Because CO counties/cities don't charge a separate property tax on vehicles. The registration fee is a "property tax." It isn't terrible either.

When I lived in CT, our registration fees were fixed at or around $75-100, but the town or city you lived in could charge you property tax based on the worth of your vehicle. Imagine my shock when my new $11,000 Saturn in 2000 cost me $800 in property tax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado