U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,179,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
I successfully made my escape from Tx after 30 years there. I left for similar reasons...heat, humidity, lack of seasons.....a need to be near the mountains, cool air, not having to have my a/c on for 10 months out of the year. Best of luck to you guys.
30 years, wow, that sounds like a prison sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:50 AM

81 posts, read 232,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
How they survived that long is beyond me. I only have 7 months to go in texas. Just waiting to have my 2nd baby. Been in Texas 7 years and I told my husband I would leave him or we have to move. lol

Old 08-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
How they survived that long is beyond me. I only have 7 months to go in texas. Just waiting to have my 2nd baby. Been in Texas 7 years and I told my husband I would leave him or we have to move. lol
Get out now, at least your baby wont have to be a Texan.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Get out now, at least your baby wont have to be a Texan.
too late one was born here a year ago and we are waiting until the next one is born to move. but on the bright side, they wont have the accent.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 PM

170 posts, read 699,252 times
Quote:
Pretty much a prison sentence! I'm not sure how I survived so long. On a positive note...when someone learned the other day that I lived in TX so long, they asked "Where's your accent?"...which was a super big compliment! I have had to train myself not to say ya'll....but it slips out occassionally. Best of luck on your escape!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,939,090 times
Quote:
Pretty much a prison sentence! I'm not sure how I survived so long. On a positive note...when someone learned the other day that I lived in TX so long, they asked "Where's your accent?"...which was a super big compliment! I have had to train myself not to say ya'll....but it slips out occassionally. Best of luck on your escape!
Minz, hello, glad to see you're still on the site. Now that you've been in COL SPGS for a few months, would you favor us with your thoughts on our city, and the state in general. I'm still as high on the city as I ever was.

Thanks!
s/Mike from back east

Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Funny that you say that, I too have to be retrained in speach a little, and I have only been here in Texas for 5 months. Y'all is addictive. Its YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS.....I am going to have to be reprogramed. I am leaving for another escape attempt this Thursday. I have interviews in your city and in Loveland. It will be my 3rd time. IF nothing else I will get away from those stupid lone stars for a while.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 13,259 times
So, what's with the Texas negativity? I'm not orginally from there but lived and worked in Dallas for 17 years. Wasn't perfect but other that the really hot weather in the summer I enjoyed much of my time there. Met and enjoyed my times with many good people. It was finally the never ending growth/surburban sprawl that got me to leave. Just seemed as I tried to move further out they always caught up to me.

I'm thinking about moving to areas N of Boulder along the front range. I'm in Florida now and am just tired of the heat/humitity all the time.

I've been browsing the posts for the past couple of weeks and it seems promising to me. I'll probably look to rent a condo for a while to get to look around and see where I really want to end up.

I'll probably never loose my accent, I'm originally from Augusta, GA and it's always going to be there I think.

Good luck all...
em

Old 08-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Funny that you say that, I too have to be retrained in speach a little, and I have only been here in Texas for 5 months. Y'all is addictive. Its YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS.....I am going to have to be reprogramed. I am leaving for another escape attempt this Thursday. I have interviews in your city and in Loveland. It will be my 3rd time. IF nothing else I will get away from those stupid lone stars for a while.
I never caught myself talking like them, but maybe when I return to Colorado I will start just for fun.

Ya'll
all ya'll
Fixin too
fuller than a tick on a dog.
My grass is more greener than yours

Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 50,327 times
Default defending texas!

I've gotta weigh in with why I like Texas better. Admittedly, I moved from an amazing town, Austin (but I disagree with "Austin's not really Texas"--that's insulting to the rest of Texas) to a town I don't like, Greeley. So my observations are based on my experiences of these places and on the Valley, where I lived for a while. I've also lived in Boston, and DC, and San Francisco, and I like Austin best. Here goes:
1. Texas is so diverse throughout the state. Geographically, culturally, musically... Not just Hispanic/white, but Cajun elements, and German, and Vietnamese, and who knows what else. Colorado, well, besides Denver it seems all white/Hispanic to me.
2. At least in central/south Texas, people have some (or a lot of) respect for Mexican culture. It's a big part of life. My own area is a third Hispanic but it's unbelievably racist (whites and Hispanics are both racist, but whites have all the power and money around here).
3. Texan pride is amazing. Colorado, well, some people just live here in the summers or come to ski. I haven't noticed much state patriotism, if you could call it that.
4. Colorado ranks near the bottom in education spending, number of insured kids, lots of other human services measures. This doesn't just come from TABOR. Texas does better on these measures. You wouldn't think so, but it does. Want to know where CU is ranked as a national research university? 77.
5. Back to number 1: Texas has plains, amazing mountains (Big Bend, for example), rolling hills, forests, ocean, lots of swimming holes, farmland, big cities, cute towns. Colorado lacks this diversity.
Please disagree- I need some perspective on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or