U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,851,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Where will you live in the nation where this did not happen? Right now Austin is the most overpriced city in Texas. Im moving to Lovesland, buying a 2000 sq ft home, 8 thousand ft lot, for 211. This is my last week here in this hot H..l hole with the nasty swampy air. I will never be coming back here to Austin. My whole family just sits in airconditioning all day long, cant go anywhere but work or the car. Im freeeeeee. Colorado, snow, mountains, low humidity, Denver Broncos, higher pay, Rocky Mountain National Park, Gaden of the GODs, here I come.

Remember this: Colorado is Gods country, home of the Denver Broncos.

A lot of people like it here in Austin though. Most of them are from other eastern or southern states. West Coasters such as myself hate it. Good riddens Lone Star flag, good bye to all the folks dumb folks that think Sadam caused 911, Good bye state that does not have Carls JR. Good Bye flash floods that I continue to get stuck in every time I drive more than 50 miles.

I will miss the liberals here. Some parts of Austin don't belong in Texas.

I am jealous man!!! Hey, before you go, buy the window scraper here @ Walmart, they are little bit cheaper. It will be your best friend in the winter months. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM

102 posts, read 346,222 times
I'm also an escaped Austinite. Yeah, perpetually homesick, but can't breathe or drive in Austin any more. Been living in Bavaria (Germany) with the Army for almost six years now and love it. Texas beer gardens with better weather, and better beer!
Hubby's job has a tiny chance of bringing him to Fort Carson, and I'm psyched. Like most Texans who figure out they can sleep under a blanket in the summer if they visit CO, I fell in love on a car camping trip up the Rockies years ago.
So, around the Fort Carson area, where would you send a couple of outdoor & culture loving free thinkers with no kids? I'd love to be able to bike to work (I'm a bodyworker-Rolfing Structural Integration) and around to the grocery etc.
I'd love an older small home with trees, and hate suburban sprawl and big box blight.
Am I nuts? Is there hope? I'm perusing the pages on Manitou Springs...

thanks,
edge

Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,528,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_gordon View Post
I'm also an escaped Austinite. Yeah, perpetually homesick, but can't breathe or drive in Austin any more. Been living in Bavaria (Germany) with the Army for almost six years now and love it. Texas beer gardens with better weather, and better beer!
Hubby's job has a tiny chance of bringing him to Fort Carson, and I'm psyched. Like most Texans who figure out they can sleep under a blanket in the summer if they visit CO, I fell in love on a car camping trip up the Rockies years ago.
So, around the Fort Carson area, where would you send a couple of outdoor & culture loving free thinkers with no kids? I'd love to be able to bike to work (I'm a bodyworker-Rolfing Structural Integration) and around to the grocery etc.
I'd love an older small home with trees, and hate suburban sprawl and big box blight.

thanks,
edge
Well, anywhere west of I-25 in Colorado Springs will probably appeal to you more than the eastern side. Old Colorado City has an eclectic feel. You've already discovered Manitou. The area along Cheyenne Road is nice as well. There's a cute little neighborhood just south of Garden of the Gods called Pleasant Valley.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 PM

170 posts, read 698,476 times
Quote:

thanks,
edge

I love Manitou Springs. It's very eclectic, charming and unique. I'm also not a fan of the suburban sprawl...so I felt I needed to move west and not east...yet it's not far from Colorado Springs.

Best of luck...hope you can make it to Colorado. I am also a former Texan.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:37 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,848,135 times
Wink You could be one

From what you've said, the perfect place for you is Summit County. Within this county are such resort towns as Silverthorne, Dillon, Keystone, Copper Mountain, Frisco, and Breckenridge. Even with all the fine ski areas within Colorado Summit County is a near epicenter of world class skiing. Not only that but it is compact and from anywhere in the primary southern portion of the county you are a short distance to most anything.

Both Dillon and Frisco have marinas on the shore of Lake Dillon, a large and beautiful reservoir within a beautiful setting. You are quite likely to see sailboats during the summer. Then there are also many clear and beautiful rivers in the area.

Due the popularity and ready access via I-70 you will enjoy excellent grocery stores and much that you might wish in shopping. For anything else, Denver is not much more than an hour removed when traffic and weather allow.

Truly, if you are into the mountains and snowboarding, and this really within 15 minutes, you would be hard pressed to do any better. And as resort towns there are always activities geared towards the younger set, summer or winter. You might also factor in an excellent public transit system between these areas that is free. Then also that you might choose to work during the busy weekends and save the skiing for mid-week when it mellows out somewhat. It is worth it just alone in avoiding the grueling commute all the many other skiers make to and from the front range. Then dream of fresh powder and the days when you have the option of making some of the first tracks.

If it all sounds wonderful, it is. But of course the downside is just the same; it is wonderful. Thus desirability and expense. The one huge downside to all this are really high real estate prices. This also reflected in rents. This is a progressive area and many citizens are concerned that even professionals such as police and firemen often must live elsewhere to make ends meet.

One resource which can help you understand many of these factors is the 'Summit Daily News:'
Summit Daily News for Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper and Frisco Colorado

Many people live well removed in communities such as Leadville, Alma, or Fairplay, making long commutes to work. In consequence real estate has risen appreciably there as well, if not to the same degree. Or if your means more modest you might, like many, become creative in arranging lodging with a fair number of roommates to defer the cost.

But don't despair. The truly committed make it there, if willing to accept certain compromises. There are so many positives that they may outweigh the cost to you. One thing is for sure, no area along the front range even comes close to the ready proximity to outdoor activities. Not to mention the many residents who appreciate this and make it a way of life.

You might be one who not only really likes this but can really make it work for you.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 AM

102 posts, read 346,222 times
Thanks for all the info, folks (should I say ya'll to prove I'm a Texan? ;-> ). Hubby and I are more into the hiking, cross-country and snowshoeing scene. I love to fly-fish, too.
He would be working at Fort Carson, so we want to be close. I commuted an hour each way back in Texas, and the Austin traffic problems are some of the worst in the nation. Victory's the closest, but we'd be happier somewhere eclectic like Manitou, and I think my bodywork business would be welcome.
It's just a referral, it doesn't mean he gets the job. I didn't get this excited about the referrals to Japan or Maryland!
How is bike tolerance in Co? I know it's good in Boulder, but then Boulder seems like the Austin of Colorado.
Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM

615 posts, read 2,724,635 times
Quote:
How is bike tolerance in Co? I know it's good in Boulder, but then Boulder seems like the Austin of Colorado.
Even outside of Boulder I have seen lots of people biking. The Denver area has lots of trails to explore.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minz View Post
I love Manitou Springs. It's very eclectic, charming and unique. I'm also not a fan of the suburban sprawl...so I felt I needed to move west and not east...yet it's not far from Colorado Springs.

Best of luck...hope you can make it to Colorado. I am also a former Texan.

I forgot to mention another reason I like Manitou is because it does not have a Wal-Mart!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 121,955 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all the feedback on this post. I'm still considering Colorado. Many people I talk to around here keep insisting I'll love Boulder, that it's very similiar to the funky vibe of Austin. And Texas isn't all that bad- I mean Austin isn't all that bad- just too hot, and no snow. And after I saw all the gorgeous pics of CO on another thread, it's looking better and better.

So many people have posted that all these towns surrounding Denver are quite pricey, especially Boulder. Can anyone give me any idea of what a 1 bdr would rent for in the Boulder area?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
Thanks for all the feedback on this post. I'm still considering Colorado. Many people I talk to around here keep insisting I'll love Boulder, that it's very similiar to the funky vibe of Austin. And Texas isn't all that bad- I mean Austin isn't all that bad- just too hot, and no snow. And after I saw all the gorgeous pics of CO on another thread, it's looking better and better.

So many people have posted that all these towns surrounding Denver are quite pricey, especially Boulder. Can anyone give me any idea of what a 1 bdr would rent for in the Boulder area?
Hi Pastrygirl,

I lived most of my life in TX. I am currently living in Colorado Springs and soon moving to Manitou Springs. I originally was going to move to Boulder but ended up moving to Co Springs because I had a job waiting for me (and Co Springs is a great city!)

I would agree that Boulder does have the funky vibe of Austin...so if that is something you like...i agree that would be a great fit for you. Since I am partial to Manitou Springs...I would recommend you spend a day or two there to see what you think...it also has a funky vibe (hippy, eclectic, unique, charming) but less expensive than Boulder...and it is in the mountains (about 15-25 miles west of co springs)...but Boulder is very cool as well...very artsie, vegetarian, free-thinking...

Best of luck to you...keep of posted on your decision.

Minz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or