U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM

9 posts, read 37,504 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't know if it's too late to reply but I am originally from Texas & moved to Colorado from Ohio - so first off, someone already commented on this, the lakes are not as nice and there are not enough trees! The best thing about Colorado is the mountains & some of the scenery, the people aren't nearly as nice as those in the mid-west but nicer than those in Texas.

Anywho, back to areas to live in. I live in Greeley, again which can be unappealing to some people - but it is not the area that I am recommending. For someone who is relocating from Austin, Closer to denver might be more the atmosphere you are looking for, but Fort Collins might work because they both have a good night life - plenty of singles!

Housing: The prices of the homes in colorado are not going to be as nice as those in Texas, however, there really are benefits! I.e - you pay more for a house at first but your property taxes are probabably around half of what they would be in Texas - so in the long run it evens out (pay is also better in Colorado). Housing in the North Denver Area: Quite frankly it is definitely worth it to move atleast 30 mins away from the city because that way you can get more house for your money. I would recommend checking out the town of Firestone, which is next to longmont, it's small but growing, has amazing mountian views - 40 or so mins. from the mountains - 30 from DIA - and 30 from Down Town Denver. MORE HOUSE FOR YOUR $

Fort Collins is a beautiful area which you may really enjoy, since it is the home of CSU - the vast majority is fairly educated and are friendly for the most part. You have Wonderful mountain views and the prices of homes are reasonable. Someone else mentioned Loveland, well loveland is a great place aswell, it has some charm to it, plenty of shopping and things to do but it is a very slow town - more so family oriented, great for raising a family and it has all of what you need.

I hope my advise helps, being that I am kind of from all over the place.

[ moderator cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-15-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: No trolling for clients, no advertising of any sort allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

1,618 posts, read 5,843,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrer View Post
Well, I don't know if it's too late to reply but I am originally from Texas & moved to Colorado from Ohio - so first off, someone already commented on this, the lakes are not as nice and there are not enough trees! The best thing about Colorado is the mountains & some of the scenery, the people aren't nearly as nice as those in the mid-west but nicer than those in Texas.

Anywho, back to areas to live in. I live in Greeley, again which can be unappealing to some people - but it is not the area that I am recommending. For someone who is relocating from Austin, Closer to denver might be more the atmosphere you are looking for, but Fort Collins might work because they both have a good night life - plenty of singles!

Housing: The prices of the homes in colorado are not going to be as nice as those in Texas, however, there really are benefits! I.e - you pay more for a house at first but your property taxes are probabably around half of what they would be in Texas - so in the long run it evens out (pay is also better in Colorado). Housing in the North Denver Area: Quite frankly it is definitely worth it to move atleast 30 mins away from the city because that way you can get more house for your money. I would recommend checking out the town of Firestone, which is next to longmont, it's small but growing, has amazing mountian views - 40 or so mins. from the mountains - 30 from DIA - and 30 from Down Town Denver. MORE HOUSE FOR YOUR $

Fort Collins is a beautiful area which you may really enjoy, since it is the home of CSU - the vast majority is fairly educated and are friendly for the most part. You have Wonderful mountain views and the prices of homes are reasonable. Someone else mentioned Loveland, well loveland is a great place aswell, it has some charm to it, plenty of shopping and things to do but it is a very slow town - more so family oriented, great for raising a family and it has all of what you need.
That was great feedback. You are not kidding about the property taxes. I do pay over $4000.oo in property taxes per year, but then again we don't have a State tax. So just to keep that in mind, homes in Austin or Texas that are only $150K, are really about $350K if you calculate the property taxes you pay per year. So know you know where your property taxes go from not having State tax. lol. It's just a trade off.

In all honesty, I wish Texas would allow State taxes, that way schools would be funded better and if anyone that brings income will pay taxes. Why take it out of home owners property taxes. Its not fair that people that have 5 kids, living in a two bedroom apartment and then sending them to high acclame school districts not pay that tax. So yes. State taxes should go into play and stop messing and hiking up the property taxes of home or property owners. Only bad thing I hate about Texas and the way they do taxes.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-16-2007 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 PM

12 posts, read 32,190 times
Default Lived everywhere

My family and I are looking to make the move to Colorado soon. I thought I would chime in since I have lived in California, then Texas, now Oregon. I have come to realize that there is no prefect place to live. You have to cope with something no matter where you live.

California (Sacramento) was a great place to grow up, but now that I only go back to visit family, I realize how congested it really was. It was expensive to live there, but now with the market crash it is somewhat reasonable again (by my standard anyway)

Texas (Houston) was dirt cheap to live in but the weather was AWFUL and the majority of the city was disgustingly dirty with some very questionable people.

Oregon is beautiful in every way except the people. The majority of people have never left their town let alone the state and are very narrow-minded. The education system is terrible here and the meth problem is completely out of control.

I'm sure no matter where my family moves to there will be something to "deal" with. From what I have seen on many of the Colorado threads, there seems to be an underlying hatred toward outsiders in Colorado. This is a shame...so many states are itching for people to discover how wonderful they are and Colorado seems to want to push people away. I think what a lot of Coloradoans don't realize is that urban sprawl and development is a national epidemic. The reason most people are moving to the beautiful state of Colorado is that they have been forced out of their hometowns.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKroeger View Post
....snip... From what I have seen on many of the Colorado threads, there seems to be an underlying hatred toward outsiders in Colorado...snip...
Consensus in these forums is that those stories are way overblown and out of date, especially since so many people have come here from elsewhere in the last 20 years. These days that sort of talk is much more like football rivalries, the way the NE fans and OK fans poke fun at each other. There are tons of comments in these CO forums about how friendly everyone here is to them. I think you'll find the same if/when you come here.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,168,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKroeger View Post
My family and I are looking to make the move to Colorado soon. I thought I would chime in since I have lived in California, then Texas, now Oregon. I have come to realize that there is no prefect place to live. You have to cope with something no matter where you live.

California (Sacramento) was a great place to grow up, but now that I only go back to visit family, I realize how congested it really was. It was expensive to live there, but now with the market crash it is somewhat reasonable again (by my standard anyway)

Texas (Houston) was dirt cheap to live in but the weather was AWFUL and the majority of the city was disgustingly dirty with some very questionable people.

Oregon is beautiful in every way except the people. The majority of people have never left their town let alone the state and are very narrow-minded. The education system is terrible here and the meth problem is completely out of control.

I'm sure no matter where my family moves to there will be something to "deal" with. From what I have seen on many of the Colorado threads, there seems to be an underlying hatred toward outsiders in Colorado. This is a shame...so many states are itching for people to discover how wonderful they are and Colorado seems to want to push people away. I think what a lot of Coloradoans don't realize is that urban sprawl and development is a national epidemic. The reason most people are moving to the beautiful state of Colorado is that they have been forced out of their hometowns.
Yeah, I moved from California, to Oregon, to Washington to Texas to Colorado. I think Washington had the fewest problems to get used to. Maybe because I lived so long in Oregon. The weather in the Pacific NW is the most predictable and least threatening. Texas on every level was a terrible experience. Colorado is nice so far...but I have not had a blizzard to deal with so far this year, so I guess we shall find out. California....well the wild fires, earthquakes, traffic jams, super expensive housing has made it rather undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or