U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM

11 posts, read 19,340 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old Australian working in the civil engineering field as a Civil Drafter and am looking to move to Colorado after I receive my Green Card in November.

I have been browsing on the net over various job sites and recruitment agencies but there doesn’t seem to be many job postings for this type of work in Colorado.

I thought for a major city such as Denver there would be a lot more?

Can any one inform me as to why this may be?

Is it better to search in another state or should I just turn up and hope for the best? (I would much rather secure something prior to my immigration).

Also, if you know of any large engineering companies in the area or good recruitment agencies and sources to look for jobs in this field, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,923,051 times
Hi Azza,

I am not an expert in that area, but I too thought that there may be more demand for your line of work. What types of places did you look in?
Perhaps local newspapers (online) would be a good option.

I tried to look this up on one of our news site and came up with the following:
cbs4denver.com: Careers

Good luck in your job search and, if you end up in Denver, I hope you enjoy this great State.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM

592 posts, read 1,925,623 times
try hdrinc.com

Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM

11 posts, read 19,340 times
Default Thank you

Thanks guys,

I have looked under monster.com and also under careerbulider.com and various smaller job seeking sites, monster and career builder seemed to have the most, but there didnt seem to be such a demend for civil drafters, more designers and engineers.

I will try out those web sites you guys recomended and see what I can find. I hope that I can get a job there as it seems like such an awesome state to live in, Im really looking forward to immigrating there.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,117,510 times
I think you need to clarify what you mean by "civil drafter". I work for an civil engineering firm in Denver, and I have never heard that term. We have CAD operators and design engineers.

Email me privately through this forum if you would like to discuss further.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 551,943 times
Default Engineering firms

Hi Azza -

You may consider searching the Yellow Pages and/or Denver employment agencies to help you contact engineering firms. I would consider sending them your resume (C.V.) and think you'd probably have success. By the way, I had the chance to surf Manly Beach in Sydney about a year ago and had a great time. Good luck. Sumisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post
I am a 25 year old Australian working in the civil engineering field as a Civil Drafter and am looking to move to Colorado after I receive my Green Card in November.

I have been browsing on the net over various job sites and recruitment agencies but there doesn’t seem to be many job postings for this type of work in Colorado.

Is it better to search in another state or should I just turn up and hope for the best? (I would much rather secure something prior to my immigration).

Also, if you know of any large engineering companies in the area or good recruitment agencies and sources to look for jobs in this field, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,171,464 times
I would suggest that you widen your job classification. Previously, the term "civil drafter" was used more often in this country, before the advent of CAD technology, where bench work were mostly done. Today you will see civil drafters often under engineering technicians listings, such as civil, architectural, structural. Today with CAD, engineers do more of the drawings then in the past. However, drafters are used as engineer aides and technicians and companies like to see drafters able to do multiple tasks under multiple disciplines in drafting because of the help of Computer Aided Drafting.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,375,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post

Thanks!

Can I ask you how did you secure your Green Card PRIOR to coming to the US? Did you have a Labor Certification filed a few years ago?? I am asking because I used to work in Immigration law. Usually Australians come here with the new E-3 investor visa, but without a Labor Cert, there is no Green Card on E-3 visas. Apparently in America, we only want to give Green Cards to illegal aliens who commit several crimes, including ID theft and unlawful presence.

Denver is a nice city, but honestly, do NOT live IN Denver. I would suggest living south of Denver in Littleton, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, etc.

Do NOT let anyone (specially predatorial realtors): Commerce City is a dump, no matter how many new homes they build there!! The traffic from anywhere north of Denver going south towards downtown Denver (which is kinda dirty, lots of graffitti) is horrible.

The nice and clean area of Denver to work at is LoDo (Lower Downtown Denver) which is basically Greenwood Village and Englewood. There are TONS OF JOBS IN THE "DTC" AREA OF DENVER AND THAT IS WHERE YOU WNAT TO WORK AND LIVE SOUTH OF THERE!!

You would like Colorado, except not beaches and no tropical climate! Lots to do outdoors, no crocks to worry about!!

Good luck, Mate!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,171,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Can I ask you how did you secure your Green Card PRIOR to coming to the US? Did you have a Labor Certification filed a few years ago?? I am asking because I used to work in Immigration law. Usually Australians come here with the new E-3 investor visa, but without a Labor Cert, there is no Green Card on E-3 visas. Apparently in America, we only want to give Green Cards to illegal aliens who commit several crimes, including ID theft and unlawful presence.

Denver is a nice city, but honestly, do NOT live IN Denver. I would suggest living south of Denver in Littleton, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, etc.

Do NOT let anyone (specially predatorial realtors): Commerce City is a dump, no matter how many new homes they build there!! The traffic from anywhere north of Denver going south towards downtown Denver (which is kinda dirty, lots of graffitti) is horrible.

The nice and clean area of Denver to work at is LoDo (Lower Downtown Denver) which is basically Greenwood Village and Englewood. There are TONS OF JOBS IN THE "DTC" AREA OF DENVER AND THAT IS WHERE YOU WNAT TO WORK AND LIVE SOUTH OF THERE!!

You would like Colorado, except not beaches and no tropical climate! Lots to do outdoors, no crocks to worry about!!

Good luck, Mate!
I do not know how an inquiry about jobs in Denver turned into a rant, or a sermon in your case, about the area. Commerce City is not a "dump", it is essential commercial area of the metro area with some proud homeowners. Downtown Denver is not "kinda dirty with lots of graffiti". It is considered by many to be a clean and progressive downtown area. You said:"do NOT live IN Denver" Why? It has many different neighborhoods with varied attributes. It is obvious that you do not know Denver because you do not have any idea where LoDo is located, which is shocking for someone who lives here.

Let us not give people the wrong information. LoDo is Lower Downtown Denver, the streets near Union Station, Wazee, Blake, Market etc. A area that has changed tremendously with lofts, shopping and entertainment from the older market area, under bridge viaducts, near the railroad tracks on the "lower" side of downtown.

Greenwood Village is an upscale separate municipality southeast of Denver, south on University. Englewood is a city southwest of Denver,south on Broadway, on the southwest light rail line with a nice new transit oriented development where a the former Cinderella City Mall was located.

You really need to get around the area more, see it, know it, appreciate the history and judge not, wrongly.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,255,557 times
Denver has undergone a HUGE change from its form in the '80's where there were very bad areas (LoDo) and (five points) but it has changed, and is a very nice city to be in.

As for the Origonal poster. Make sure you get a hang of Imperial form of measurement, most places will work with feet and inches, instead of milimeters.
have fun when you get here, and dont let people discourage you. America IS the land of dreams, just like it was in the past. you have to look through the politics to see it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or