U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,029,341 times

Advertisements

Limon officer killed serving warrant, suspect shoots self

Quote:
LIMON A standoff that began with the fatal shooting of a Limon police officer ended late Wednesday when the suspect was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

At a post-midnight news conference, State Trooper Heather Cobler said that officers were serving a warrant at a residence at the Wagon Wheel Mobile Home Park at about 6:10 p.m. when the man they were serving opened fire.
Sadly, this officer is the ninth Colorado law enforcement officer to have been murdered in the past decade.

What, if anything, can be done to reduce the frequency of these murders?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Moderator cut: the post you are referring to has been deleted

Sadly, law enforcement officers have also found themselves in the line of fire throughout the history of this country. Equally sadly, though I have no personal knowledge of this incident, seemingly sane law-abiding folks can reach some emotional point that they "snap," and a tragedy like this is the result. Then there are the hardened criminal types who just have no regard for life--their own or anyone or anything else's. Sadly, they often are the unwanted children of irresponsible parents and those unwanted kids never gain any moral compass early in life.

A fellow I know who spent his career as a homicide detective told me that there are three basic types of homicides--those committed by people in the throes of some emotional, passionate crisis--think of the typical "domestic" crime of passion homicide (tragically, these are often the most dangerous for law enforcement people when they try to intervene). Then there are those committed by people who know what they are doing is morally wrong, but do it anyway. This would include those homicides committed in the course of another crime, etc. The worst and most dangerous type, in this officer's opinion, though, were the growing number of homicides committed by "amoral" people--basic animals who don't even know right from wrong. His opinion was that these are the type perpetrated by the increasingly "parent-less" gang-banger types infesting more and more of our cities and towns. By the way, before someone bleats that this detective is racist, because many of those "gang-bangers" are black or Hispanic, I should note that he is Hispanic.

My sincere sympathies and prayers go to the fallen officer's family. I have numerous friends in law enforcement, and I know what a dangerous, often thankless, and usually underpaid job they have. Thank God for us that there are good people willing to do that job in our society.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-10-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
One more name to add here:

http://csp.state.co.us/clembook.html

Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 AM

331 posts, read 867,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What, if anything, can be done to reduce the frequency of these murders?
We can stop killing people...

There's really nothing that can be done to stop the number of (insert hazardous occupation here)-related incidents that end in death. Less than 1 per year isn't exactly a record-breaking number though.

Humans are very aggressive animals that enjoy killing for sport / fun. Is it really any surprise that homicide is still being committed?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,106,824 times
Only 9 in 10 years? Seriouslly? That's damn good.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
One is too many, especially if it's you, or a law enforcement person you know.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I'm sure as a retired officer of 35 years, and someone who lost a partner in the line of duty, the families of those 9 would disagree.

Limon is a small town and small department, people on the outside just don't know how much this hurts everyone. My sympathy goes out to this officers family and the community.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,029,341 times
Quote:
Actually, as a per capita rate, it is quite bad. Remember, we're only talking about murders, not all line-of-duty deaths. Colorado only has 5 million people. That's similar in size to, say, the province of British Columbia, which has not had an officer murdered since 1987.

What accounts for the difference?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
They say freedom isn't free. I guess this is how that applies to the second amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado