U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM

355 posts, read 1,262,301 times

Advertisements

havent been to leadville but i wouldnt live in evergreen i dont like it for some reason....i like denver area now though and i might look into georgetown,idaho springs,silverplume,dumont area in a year or 2...leadville to far away IMO but guess it depend what u want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,567,631 times
yea after going to evergreen i wudnt wanna live there either i mean i like it and obviously its a nice place but..........to expensive and to far from job opprotunity and even thoug everone says its convientlly located.....thats only if u consider a 20-30 min car ride convienet to get to work..heck i'd drive 1-2 hours to get to the mtns to play but no way am i burning it going to work, ideally i like to walk to work if i cud choose ANYWHERE in colorado to live it wud be breck proably but there are no affordable living accomiadations or jobs that i'd like to get into plus i am going back to school asap so front range has more in that department to ultimatley i think i'll end up in the high country but just not till i can truly afford it

Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,837,013 times
Wink Why not now?

Why put it off?

Colorado Mountain College has a campus in Leadville:
Leadville, Timberline Campus - Colorado Mountain College (http://www.coloradomtn.edu/campus_tmb/home.shtml - broken link)

My understanding this an excellent and innovative college. Although rising, housing costs in Leadville are certainly lower than most anything in Summit County. It is a relatively reasonable commute to jobs and all else in Summit County, and one reason why becoming a bedroom community, not to mention increasingly upscale.

As I recall, trees did grow near and about town.

You can choose the front range for now, even if in no way the mountains. Whichever you choose your life forward will surely be different. How do you wish it to evolve?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:11 PM

well this sheds light on everything, my renatal in arvada is month to month, so i cud move to leadville whenever i wanted but i first gotta get established in the metro area and perhaps in june or july i cud move to leadville and on up and go to the timberline campus in august, cuz yea i do wanna start school asap but it is defently gonna be easier get setup in the metro area but once i save a little money there and such i can go for an advising meeting with the folks up there, heck i'd love to go to school 2 miles high i am looking into gettin in the plumbing/auto/mechanic type jobs could i get any of that at leadville??? somethin i will look into but for the time being gonna settle with denver and go play in the mtns during my time off

plus i like red rocks, leadville may be a little deserted i am 18 and am not gonna lie i am lookin for action so gotta stay where its populated for now atleast

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-07-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Merging two posts into one.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM

84,965 posts, read 98,814,535 times
My neighbor went to CMC in Leadville for about a year, transferred down here to Front Range CC. He really didn't like the cold. While merely anecdotal, I'd think twice before signing up to go to school up there.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,478,742 times
I lived in Leadville for 2 years in the early 80's, I left to get away from the soon to be x who will remain namless as he's still there and a well known citizen.

I loved skiing and outdoor sports, however, Leadville is very isolated much of the year, you need to go over a pass to get anywhere. Aspen might look close on the map but that road is closed most of the year and when open very scary.

Since the moly mine is re-opening there is work there but I'd certainly look at all your options. Working at the mine is VERY dangerous, I worked as a nurse and EMT and we saw quite a few accidents..Cabin Fever is for real there, plan on owning a mega 4 wheel drive vehicle...a big must if you want to live up there.

I also took several classes at the college when it was still new, be sure they have the course of study that you want and take the time to find out about the instructors.

As much as you might like snow and winter sports think very carefully...those winters and snow are LOOOONNNG! And really don't go away...just a blip of spring weather here and there and then back to snow. I will say the views are spectacular.

It's been a boom or bust town since it's inception so keep that in mind. The job market will fluctuate accordingly.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 AM

yea i may move up there at some point idk yet prob gonna stay in arvada through atleast may then i will adress the situation

but 40'' snowfalls and -10 dont bother me, u say leadville has its own little private ski area, i like that not the crowds some of these places deal with i'll porbably visit there soon after i arrive in arvada though

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-09-2007 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Merging two posts into one.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I lived in Leadville for 2 years in the early 80's, I left to get away from the soon to be x who will remain namless as he's still there and a well known citizen.
What a coincidence! My ex lived up there in the late 70s-early 80s! He worked at the mine. That's all I'll say to protect his identity.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Actually, at one point both my ex and my second husband were working for AMAX, though DH was working here in Golden and the ex in Leadville. Sketchy! Anyway, I think the ex got laid off, and DH was recruited away right before the mine shut down in the middle 80s. It's a risky business to be involved in.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:23 PM

wow i was cheacking out the past 24hr to 7 day snowfall totals for the mtns of colorado and i am in SHOCK i mean is it normal or typical to get 40 or 50 inches of snow over a 5 day period up there at the resorts??? sorta wanna live in leadville and am gonna think about it but unltimately establishing a decent paying job and a cheap place to live are my main goals and i think those would be alot easier to make in arvada or denver but still i am VERY tempted to check out the 2 mile high city, its cheaper than the rest of the high country, TONS of snow, a college, the only two things missing for me are afforable place to stay and a good job, i work at pizza hut right now and was thinkin if they have a pizza gut up that high maybe i cud transfer to there, def tempted by leadville, but am staying in arvada for real cheap by the month until i decide on the metro area or leadville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado