U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 AM

835 posts, read 2,567,631 times

Advertisements

would living in leadville be cheaper than living in summit county just to the north? would it also be more or less expensive then rual jefferson county ( conifer/evergreen area)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
I really don't know for sure. I just know that I still have friends in Leadville that their kids and their kid's kids work for the ski slopes over there and they live in Leadville. So I am assuming it must be cheaper to do so and travel the distance.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM

291 posts, read 1,884,192 times
Yes, it is MUCH cheaper to live in Leadvile than the ski resorts. So many workers live in Leadville, some of the resorts provide employee shuttles. Also, it is now a local call from Leadville to the ski towns. Always ask about employee housing.

Keep in mind it is a different life living at 2 miles high. Fortunately, it isn't the coldest place in Colorado in winter, but it is one of the coolest in summer. Also, when you really do want to ski, Leadville has it's own ski area, Ski Cooper (not Copper), which is one of my favorites.

There are some cheaper areas of Jefferson County, like Georgetown and Idaho Springs, but since they are within commuting distance to Denver, you're competing with people who make some real money and the more livable places are pricey.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM

yea i know alot of people wanna work on the plains in denver or lakewood and live in the high country, i think i'd like to try leadville however i read somewhere omline they get over250 inches of snow in a winter can that be true? i mean i know its not overly cold it only has to be 33 or 34 to snow but 250 inches is alot of snow, but i wouldnt mind it so much if i didnt drive a 2000 hyundai tiburon that is about 5'' of the ground sport car doesnt seem like it could navigate a 1-2 foot snowfall

Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM

living life 2 miles high would be heaven on earth!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 AM

haha whenever some one mentions denver being a mile high i guess residents of leadville just laugh and think thats nothin

Old 07-25-2007, 11:13 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
You'd better LOVE winter if you live in Leadville. The joke is that Leadville has two seasons--winter and the 4th of July. I had a friend who lived there for a couple of years. She was used to Colorado winters (and was a avid skier), but even she got sick of winter in Leadville. Lots of snow--and some pretty cold weather to go with it. Commuting to the resorts is often no cakewalk when the roads are bad, which is fairly frequently. Both Fremont and Tennessee Passes have a reputation of getting fairly hairy in the winter--a reputation that, in my experience with them, is well-deserved. (I've been driving Colorado mountain roads in all seasons for going on 40 years.)

Summer is cool (some would say cold) and short. Years back, I travelled through Leadville on Colorado Day (August 1st). It was snowing so hard you couldn't see, the roads were getting slushy and snowpacked and it was 31 degrees. Frost can happen any day of the year. You generally have to run a furnace year-round.

By the way, Billradio, Georgetown and Idaho Springs are in Clear Creek County, not Jefferson.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,652,433 times
My wife's colleague has been living in Leadville for nearly all her life (going on about 40 years). She works in Frisco about 3 days a week. She was mentioning that Highway 91 (which connects Leadville to I-70/Summit County) is often in better shape that I-70 -- because so many ski resort employees live there, it is imperative for the local economy to have the road clear. Often times the Copper Mountain resort snowplows have come out and cleared the road to get the employee shuttles through.

Yes, the weather in Leadville can definitely be harsh. But people do live in Leadville, so it's not impossible.

I think I'd steer away from Georgetown and Idaho Springs. You'd still have a heck of a commute from either place to Summit County (less so from G-town) -- driving to Summit from both those towns, you'll experience the weekend parking lot that is I-70. Plus I'm not sure how the lifestyle at either place would fit your age group.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:45 PM

291 posts, read 1,884,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
By the way, Billradio, Georgetown and Idaho Springs are in Clear Creek County, not Jefferson.
Ah yes. What I meant to say was "There are some cheaper areas other than Jefferson County, like Georgetown and Idaho Springs..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove
living life 2 miles high would be heaven on earth!
I agree but for some people the altitude is just too stressful. Some can't tolerate a stairway in their house. But if you can tough it out long-term, very high country living can be very healthful, your heart will be much healthier.

While it never gets "warm" in Leadville, the winters are more palatable than places like Alamosa or Fraser. I don't know where the "250 inches" figure came from, that is a respectable amount for a successful ski area. Maybe for Ski Cooper? Regardless, I have spent many winters visiting, traveling through or playing in Leadville and it is indeed cold, and because it's too high for trees, it's very windy. But we have enjoyed a lot of winter sports in the area.

Yes, I would prefer a commute to Leadville than along I-70. The weather affects traffic less and the drivers repect the elements...unlike I-70 drivers.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
Yes, it is MUCH cheaper to live in Leadvile than the ski resorts. So many workers live in Leadville, some of the resorts provide employee shuttles. Also, it is now a local call from Leadville to the ski towns. Always ask about employee housing.

Keep in mind it is a different life living at 2 miles high. Fortunately, it isn't the coldest place in Colorado in winter, but it is one of the coolest in summer. Also, when you really do want to ski, Leadville has it's own ski area, Ski Cooper (not Copper), which is one of my favorites.

There are some cheaper areas of Jefferson County, like Georgetown and Idaho Springs, but since they are within commuting distance to Denver, you're competing with people who make some real money and the more livable places are pricey.
Would you believe BillRadio that when we lived there in the 50's and 60's Leadville and Fraser Colorado took turns being the coldest place in Colorado. So Never say Never. I liked living in Leadville, the people were great but them most of us had the same thing in common, working at Climax. Something about those miners Actually I do know as of last winter, land was quite cheap in Leadville compared to other places. Not when Climax was working. Lake County was the richest county in the state. Now it is struggling but resisted the gambling mistake that others did. Climax keeps talking about reopening. Not the big emplorer that it was tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado