U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM

13,632 posts, read 21,483,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
As the economy improves more people start looking for work again so in the short run the unemployment rate actually goes up a bit then drops as the economy continues to improve and they find work.
What???

When people lose their job... they look for a new one. When they don't find one, they get onto UE if they can... while still frantically looking for work. When that runs out, they get more frantic, then try to get work flipping burgers, Walmart, etc. Then they are informed that Walmart isn't hiring either because they're in a hiring freeze. Then folks cash out their 401Ks and get a job delivering pizzas... most continue to look for real work.

People don't sit around and think about how the economy's doing when they're out of work. They look for work/sources of income any way they know how. Engineers flip burgers or bag groceries if they have to... if they're lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM

16,165 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What???

When people lose their job... they look for a new one. When they don't find one, they get onto UE if they can... while still frantically looking for work. When that runs out, they get more frantic, then try to get work flipping burgers, Walmart, etc. Then they are informed that Walmart isn't hiring either because they're in a hiring freeze. Then folks cash out their 401Ks and get a job delivering pizzas... most continue to look for real work.

People don't sit around and think about how the economy's doing when they're out of work. They look for work/sources of income any way they know how. Engineers flip burgers or bag groceries if they have to... if they're lucky.
McGowdog is absolutely right.

I worked power plant construction for well over two decades and I know something about going to the unemployment office to either open a new claim or reopen an existing one. The UE McGowdog refers to is unemployment extension. When I drew unemployment back in the dark ages you basically drew for 26 weeks. I only was eligible for extensions twice going back to the late 60's.

When you draw out your benefits as far as the computers are concerned you either died, found a job, or moved. People will tap into their 401K's. Others will drain what little savings they have dry. The oil field hands who worked for a variety of energy companies (most of them Halliburton) moved after drawing out their claims here. They love the area and wanted to stay. A good number of them moved to North Dakota as it was apparent that work in Colorado ground to nearly a halt.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Actually Joseppie is right. Discouraged workers are a big part of the "missing unemployed" from government statistics. Nearly any decent economist will tell you the actual unemployment rate is really higher than the official rate due to this. Some people just drop out of the labor market by moving in with family, becoming a full time house spouse (believe it or not this a lot of two income households live on one income during down times), or surviving off the underground economy. When things pick back up they rejoin active job seekers and thus swell the ranks of the "official" unemployed.

Come on, you guys don't know any moms or dads who decided to become full time stay at home parents because the job market was the pits? There are some families who are able to survive on one income,even in Colorado.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 03-13-2011 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What???

On the subject of flipping burgers, I don't have to look far to find laid off construction workers and even college graduates with degrees who have this one liner memorized; "fries or onion rings?" Three chains are right up the street from me. Some of those people have been doing this a damn site longer than when Halliburton and the other energy companies set up shop here several years ago.

This area has been lean on wages for years, decades. I don't understand why this area continues to think about energy companies and home building and to hell with everything else. Well, we're paying for it now, just like we paid for it in May of 1982. And I could go back further.

CAVA 1990 makes a valid point regarding relatives who bunch up together regarding housing. There are a lot of them that are. But there are many, many more in my neighborhood who took "short sales" on their properties a couple years ago and blew out of here like Gone With The Wind. The people who bought those places? Most of them lost their jobs in the last year and are drawing unemployment. And in regards to the "discouraged workers", a lot of those workers took early retirement or had to go out on disability. And the foreclosures keep on going.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-13-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
On the subject of flipping burgers, I don't have to look far to find laid off construction workers and even college graduates with degrees who have this one liner memorized; "fries or onion rings?" Three chains are right up the street from me. Some of those people have been doing this a damn site longer than when Halliburton and the other energy companies set up shop here several years ago..
That's the other phenomenon that masks in the statistics how bad things really are, "underemployment".

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
And now this....

Report: Denver among fastest to recover from recession - The Denver Post

Denver and Colorado Springs are among the nation's metro areas that are recovering the fastest from the economic recession, according to a report released today......

Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM

331 posts, read 866,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
And now this....

Report: Denver among fastest to recover from recession - The Denver Post

Denver and Colorado Springs are among the nation's metro areas that are recovering the fastest from the economic recession, according to a report released today......
From this thread, it's apparent that the areas are recovering due to engineers flipping burgers.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
From this thread, it's apparent that the areas are recovering due to engineers flipping burgers.
Yes, but they're very good burgers.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

331 posts, read 866,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, but they're very good burgers.....
And rather efficient at solving that whole hunger issue!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 PM

579 posts, read 1,105,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Bob neglected to mention these:

Report: Colorado unemployment worse than first thought - The Denver Post

Not to toot my own here, but astute readers of this forum might want to note that I've been predicting most of what is reported in this article for well over a year now. This is one of those "God, I hate it when I'm right" moments.

Then there is this:

More Colorado kids living in poverty - KDVR (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-more-colorado-kids-living-in-poverty-20110310,0,4984319.story - broken link)

The tag line is that Colorado leads the United States in the growth of children living in poverty over the last 10 years. That's a pretty dismal statistic, considering that for most of that period Colorado was supposedly still booming.
It is so sad to see that there are many people living in a great state like Colorado, with outstanding scenery, expansive mountains, and many great recreational opportunities, who are unable to enjoy all of the advantages that living in Colorado offers to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or