Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM

352 posts, read 794,577 times

Advertisements

For any of you who are intrigued by the idea of living in a remote, rural town in eastern Las Animas County...

...there is a full-time professional job opening with the Branson School District, which operates the well-regarded Branson School Online as well as our brick-and-mortar K-12 school with a total enrollment of 30 students.

At the link, scroll down to bottom of the page for Current Opening/Technology Coordinator:

Branson Online: Human Resources (http://www.bransonschoolonline.com/index.cfm?pID=2450 - broken link)

Learn more about Branson on this thread, reply here or feel free to DM me for the unvarnished truth about living 50 miles southeast of Trinidad, just 2 miles north of the NM border, in cattle-ranching country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,324,331 times
How are you doing bovinedivine? I think of you whenever I'm checking out the Trinidad area. I'll be driving through Branson this September. Tried to last time but we got a late start so I took the Raton Pass. I better repost you job description.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM

[quote=bovinedivine;23758779]For any of you who are intrigued by the idea of living in a remote, rural town in eastern Las Animas County...

...there is a full-time professional job opening with the Branson School District, which operates the well-regarded Branson School Online as well as our brick-and-mortar K-12 school with a total enrollment of 30 students.

At the link, scroll down to bottom of the page for Current Opening/Technology Coordinator:

Branson Online: Human Resources (http://www.bransonschoolonline.com/index.cfm?pID=2450 - broken link)

Learn more about Branson on this thread, reply here or feel free to DM me for the unvarnished truth about living 50 miles southeast of Trinidad, just 2 miles north of the NM border, in cattle-ranching country.[/quote]

Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi, Debbie,

Things in Branson are good. Our recent snow was welcomed by all, things are greening and blossoming, and the possibility of more moisture this week puts smiles on everyone's drought-stricken faces. Thought some people might perk up at my above post on the current School District employment opportunity.

Three out of the four properties that the School District put up for sale last Fall have now been purchased, allowing one of our growing families to upgrade to a relatively new 7-bedroom (manufactured, w/cathedral ceilings and 27 windows!) home for slightly over half the appraised value of $90,000! A young family from a small town east of C Springs picked up an older, TLC-thirsty, single-wide (w/far-reaching grassland views) for $3,000.

The person who picked up an older, 2-bdrm house (c. 1915) on 3/4 acre on the highway (for $4,250) is eyeing the possibility of a cafe/coffeehouse and, for now, is intent on recruiting an organic farmer/grower to help us get some small-scale food production going here in town. There has been contact with an organization that works to connect veterans with communities who can help them get a foot in the door for market gardening/farming and ranching, so we'll see what comes of that.

Our local young people have had a stellar year, taking high honors at regional and state Science Fair, Spelling Bee, and Speech & Drama events. Prom is approaching, and even though we have only one graduating senior this year, it's a community event with a sit-down meal and dancing for everybody until the older crowd goes home and leaves the young'uns (!) to their age-appropriate frivolities.

Our local Saddlerock GuestHouse is rented this weekend by a couple from Lubbock, TX, who came to renew their wedding vows at the Capulin Volcano National Monument over the border in NM. Lucky for them, the local pastor's family also owns our sole lodging opportunity, so it worked out well all-around. A man from the Springs area was wandering around taking photos yesterday, too, until a friendly local approached him to visit.

All our visitors were invited into "the bookarage" - rhymes with mirage - which is a dream-come-true for folks who enjoy browsing through dusty books spanning three centuries and then taking home treasures while they support our small community library. Udderly (sic) unique for these parts; open by serendipity, the garage owner's whims, pre-arrangement, and/or a smidgen of divine intervention...

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM

[quote=bovinedivine;23765933]Hi, Debbie,

Things in Branson are good. Our recent snow was welcomed by all, things are greening and blossoming, and the possibility of more moisture this week puts smiles on everyone's drought-stricken faces. Thought some people might perk up at my above post on the current School District employment opportunity.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 18,760 times
I am going to be passing through that part of CO sometime early next week (God be willing) looking for farmland along the way. I was wondering what the agriculture was like in the area and if there are any realtors that someone could recommend.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 PM

tnaz32,

There is bascially no farmland (only ranching) in this particular area (Branson and environs), though you might want to look closer to Rocky Ford, La Junta, Cheraw. Bear in mind that drought conditions are worsening, and, at least where we are (southeastern Las Animas County), ranchers are hurting. It's a tough time all-around, even for ranch families who have been at it for generations.

Sorry I can't recommend any real estate people. You might go online and look at the newspapers and other resources for the LaJunta/Rocky Ford area. Not sure what type or size operation you're considering, but there are people farming in a variety of pockets in the Arkansas River Valley area. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in with some info for you.

When push comes to shove, it's all about water. And unfortunately, it's not a rosy picture right now or into the immediate future. Best of luck to you, though. It takes grit, determination, money, smarts, and passion to make a go of farming or ranching around these parts.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM

I ranch in Eastern OK and the drought has hurt all. We need less land than CO or Western OK needs to ranch and thankfully ranching is more of a hobby to us than my husband's main job. I am not sure how ranchers that live off what they make are making any substantial type of profit. Corn prices are ridiculous. Although, the price we get off the hoof is darn good. Maybe that is why hamburger is the price of what a steak use to be!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,377,618 times
My prediction is that, within a few years, Americans will be eating very little grain-fed beef. The cost of corn, combined with beef's very poor 8:1 feed conversion ratio, will make it simply unaffordable. Grass-fed cattle, on the other hand, convert something we humans can't eat--grass--into something that we can eat--beef or dairy products. I think that ranchers with decent range will do very well in the coming years, but their cattle will have to stay on the range until they are nearly ready for market. The days of cattle doing most of their growing eating grain in feedlots will be drawing to a close.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 AM

18,643 posts, read 33,203,329 times
Well, that should be a kindness to the now-factory-farmed critters.
I buy local beef from a farmstand and they are well fed by grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado