U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 AM

625 posts, read 1,524,321 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks in advance for any insight. My family (wife and two kids 9 and 7) are thinking about taking a vacation in the Durango area in August.

We plan on flying into ABQ renting a car and heading up to the Durango area. We are planning on a trip Mesa Verde and taking a trip on the Durango & Silverton train. We would also like to do some hiking and horseback riding, both of which I'm sure is unlimited. My question is this:

1) What other things are there to do for kids in the Durango area?
2) Please offer suggestions on where to stay. I don't think we want to stay in the city of Durango. We are hoping for something in the mountains with privacy and nice views.
3) Are there a lot of bats in the area (don't ask long story)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 AM

16,189 posts, read 20,212,448 times
Dude ranches can be an alternative. Durango has a few of them, google in dude ranches Durango and a few will pop up. The reason I mention dude ranches is the activities for kids; hiking, horseback riding, fishing on private ponds, etc. Some are way up there in price if you are staying say a week or so, there is one that charges strictly by the night (Echo Basin Ranch in Mancos). They charge by the hour for horseback riding. A good reference on this subject might be the Durango Chamber Of Commerce. Their phone number is 970-247-0312. There are a couple others a little closer to Durango, the reason I mention Mancos is that it is pretty close to Mesa Verde.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,293,883 times
You can probably find a ski condo or a small house up in the mountains to rent for the week through these folks:

Durango Mountain Resort - Skiing, lodging and vacation deals in the beautiful Colorado Rockies

Also check Craigslist.

This site will give you some ideas of other things to do there:

Colorado Vacation: Colorado Sightseeing - Durango Area Tourism Office

To see some interesting exhibits on the history of the area visit the Animas Museum in town:

The Animas Museum

As for bats, these folks may be able to address your concerns:

http://www.coloradobats.org/batinfo.html

Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,578,566 times
Try this:

Home Page

This is a rental site for cabins & vacation homes at Vallecito Lake, 23 miles NE of Durango. Beautiful setting on the lake with mountain & lake views and outdoor activities at the lake. My wife & I stay there every time we visit Durango.

You can't go wrong here. If you do go, be sure to tell Nancy & Steve "hello" from their friends in PA who are now western CO landowners.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM

118 posts, read 268,389 times
The Discovery Museum just opened, and it's a fun stop for families. I haven't seen an inordinate number of bats here, but they do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado