U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,260,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Well Bob, I hope neither you nor anybody in your family ever needs support.

The surest way to turn a right winged conservative into a flaming Liberal is to have him personally deal with a significant health care problem.
I have MS, and yes I may end up disabled in my future. For you to blatantly call anyone that is Conservative as being compassionate is well... Insulting. I am conservative by the way, and do not expect anyone to take care of me but me.

As to the OP. There are services available. I do not know about the ease of obtaining them, but my father works for the department of disability services in Colorado as a computer programmer. My grandfather (also a conservative) was run out of Arkansas in the 60's for allowing the integration of minority's with mental disabilities with whites of mental disabilities, he was offered a job here in Colorado and worked his entire life (died two years ago) to change things in Colorado. It has been much much worse here, but these are different times.

I will see what I can find from my father about obtaining help, if he has knowledge he will let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism166 View Post
I deal with attitudes like Bob from the South here locally all the time. When I first moved into Pueblo West, I had several people coming to me askingme if I was a christian and if I would like to attend there church. They were pro Bush and Pro Life. I know because they always pushed it on me. When same fake christians learned more about my nonverbal autistic son, they turned on me. They said he belongs in a institution not with me. They told me to stop taking my sick child over my healthy 3 other children and my husband. OH yes I know these republican Bush lovers all too well. Bless if I ever sell that house in Pueblo west now.
wow, such hate. I am a conservative (read my last post) I have run into democrats saying some very similar things.

Your child no matter his disability belongs with his parents, or caregivers. I would never wish the institution life on anyone at all. (wow very "conservative" statement right?) I would be one that would embrace your son as being an individual human, that has needs, and would fight hard to help him get them met. To group the sleeze bags you ran into with all conservatives or christians is insulting to say the least

Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,796,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Handicapped parking in front of the gym has always been one of those things that makes me go "hmmmmmmm." Who wants to spend $50,000 of someone else's money to put a wheelchair ramp leading to a dance parlor in a small town with one 80-something that actually uses a wheelchair? A liberal, that's who.
I once watched a lady spend half an hour on a treadmill and then walk out to her car in the handicap spot.

Are you sure you aren't from the same town as me? The town bought the dance hall with the plan to remodel it and keep it alive for a few more generations. After they found out how much it would cost to comply with the ADA regulations, it turned into a parking lot

Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 AM

5,117 posts, read 10,041,126 times
Please stop the personal comments and insults or this thread will be closed.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Here is some information that I have recieved from my dad for you on the state help.

The web site for the Division for Developmental Disabilities is: DDD Home Page.

There is a tab called CCB's which lists all of the Community Centered Boards. They each serve one or more counties.

The phone numbers for D.D.D. are: Main Phone: (303) 866-7450 FAX: (303) 866-7470

Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,180,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I once watched a lady spend half an hour on a treadmill and then walk out to her car in the handicap spot.

Are you sure you aren't from the same town as me? The town bought the dance hall with the plan to remodel it and keep it alive for a few more generations. After they found out how much it would cost to comply with the ADA regulations, it turned into a parking lot
Yes, I see this all the time with people parking in disabled spots with Disabled tags. The problems is that the tags and the plates are assigned to the disabled person---not the car. The disabled person has to be with the car or the tags cannot be used.

I have the tags I do not always park in disabled parking--only if I have a need--because my condition changes from bad, to worse, to severe on a daily basis. So to avoid taking a spot from someone more needy, I use another space. I must tell you my family and doctor told me for years that I should have a disabled parking tags but I refused; I was ashamed; I felt I was being a bother to others; I do not need to advertise I have a problem but my condition worsened and I could not walk back to my car many times--so I was forced by the situation.

Many people abuse the system. This does not mean that the idea is wrong because of inconsiderate and lazy people. I have confronted some of these people and it is not always a good idea because these type of people can be some of the most violent and selfish and you can get yourself killed. Now, if I see the problem, and a police officer is avalaible and willing--then I have confronted them and had the officer ask for the proper registration id which must be carried at all times. The Tags and Plates have a registration for the disabled individual--and he/she must be present.

The American with Disability Act was needed in this society to deal with the extreme acts of discrimination, bad behavior, and inability to access the rights and privileges that men, women and children who have disabilities have to endure. It is not a fair world--if it was, there would be no disabled children. So if you and others have to suffer a little cost or inconvenience to help others, then you can never understand, and what more can I say----

Livecontent

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, I see this all the time with people parking in disabled spots with Disabled tags. The problems is that the tags and the plates are assigned to the disabled person---not the car. The disabled person has to be with the car or the tags cannot be used.

I have the tags I do not always park in disabled parking--only if I have a need--because my condition changes from bad, to worse, to severe on a daily basis. So to avoid taking a spot from someone more needy, I use another space. I must tell you my family and doctor told me for years that I should have a disabled parking tags but I refused; I was ashamed; I felt I was being a bother to others; I do not need to advertise I have a problem but my condition worsened and I could not walk back to my car many times--so I was forced by the situation.

Many people abuse the system. This does not mean that the idea is wrong because of inconsiderate and lazy people. I have confronted some of these people and it is not always a good idea because these type of people can be some of the most violent and selfish and you can get yourself killed. Now, if I see the problem, and a police officer is avalaible and willing--then I have confronted them and had the officer ask for the proper registration id which must be carried at all times. The Tags and Plates have a registration for the disabled individual--and he/she must be present.

The American with Disability Act was needed in this society to deal with the extreme acts of discrimination, bad behavior, and inability to access the rights and privileges that men, women and children who have disabilities have to endure. It is not a fair world--if it was, there would be no disabled children. So if you and others have to suffer a little cost or inconvenience to help others, then you can never understand, and what more can I say----

Livecontent
to add to this, some disibilities cannot be seen on the outside. For many people with MS, the symptoms can include extreme fatigue, and neruopathic pain. Heart problems that keep someone from walking long distances is also undetectable on the outside.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 81,051 times
I just read your post about moving from another state to CO. What state is providing the good services? I have a 22 yr old DD daughter, austism spectrum, IQ 48, and need to move from IL because of lack of services and she will never get into a group home until we are dead, as stated by her case worker. If you have some good news about where you live, please share. Thanks, Greenerpastures

What state is providing your son with good services? I have a 22 yr old DD daughter and get nothing in IL. Thanks

Last edited by suzco; 04-10-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: merged 2 posts

Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 281,143 times
Default services for the disabled

Minnesota has great services for the disabled. I doubt you will find a better state for it. Here we have group homes and alot of them right in houses. We take care of our prople but what happens when you can't? Minnesota is cold but everything else is good. Be prepared to pay high taxes but the wages are high to. You wouldnt be sorry for moving to minnesota. I have an 18 year old autistic son.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,216,716 times
Default another view

I think Bob from the South's comment was misconstrued by several people.

First of all the question was about adults with handicaps in Colorado, not kids. Second, the original request was about existing services. To answer that question, he is/was correct: the conservative approach toward funding government services, and particular services for people in need, instead of roads or whatever else, has made Colorado pretty much at the bottom of the states in terms of available services for adults with disabilities. Anyone who is a guardian for an adult with a disability in Denver knows that there is a huge waiting list except those who are going to be immediately made "homeless" by being abandoned to an apartment, or all the caretakers have died. What I understood him to say is that they would be better off going to another state. I agree with that inference. I am NOT talking about seniors who retire, because there are services for them, or people who have full mental capacities but use a wheelchair.

Third, while handicap parking is an issue, it is secondary to job training or independent living opportunities for people with disabilities such as mental handicaps. Most of them don't drive, but depend on caretakers, buses, and Access-A-Ride.

I myself have taken care of such a person for over two decades in Colorado. I have not taken the time to go get one of those hanging tags as I have been very busy taking care of my family and my income. I see young adults with preschoolers and apparently able bodied seniors, using them all the time to get preferential parking at the local rec center. One time I stopped the person to ask how it was that she could use the tag: her answer was that she drove her mom, a senior. She was defensive even though I was polite. Her mom was nowhere in sight that day. There are problems with the tag system; I agree. I personally think that the day a child is born with a significant handicap in a Colorado hospital that they should hand the parents a tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or