U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM

16 posts, read 29,495 times

Advertisements

Retirement is just around the corner for my husband and I am doing most of the leg work into looking for a place to spend the rest of our lives. I've looked into many states and I think I really like the vibe of Colorado.

The most important thing I would like to know is how it is for families, as we have a pretty large one with ages ranging from 20 down to 5. So in terms of education, we need it all. Elementary, middle, high school and college.

Entertainment, is there a good youth sports/activity program? Movie theatre, bowling alley, library, place for teenagers to hang out safely and have fun? Any good family sites for us all to enjoy, we like water/swimming/fishing, hiking, skating etc. Any nice parks to just sit and relax or play a game of football/baseball? ETC......

Housing, we would eventually like to build our home, so we would like to start out renting, which neighborhoods would be best for families? Least amount of crime, community feel ( I am really looking to connect with a good community and build friendships and support).

Jobs, I am a Certified Medical Assistant and am planning to find a job in this field, my husband is looking for a more technology based job. (He is a meteorologist in the Air Force, not sure if there is a call for that in Pueblo)

Weather, we lived in Abilene, Tx for 4 years, is the weather similar or is it a little cooler? How often does it snow? How hot does it get in the summer?

I know these are a lot of questions, however, we are talking about the rest of our lives, lol. Thank you all for your time, knowledge and opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
COLO SPGS is the best place for retired USAF types, and there are tons of them here, i.e., a ready-made community, with jobs opps as you'd expect in this area.

Most parts of our city have all the amenities you seek, plus excellent school districts.

The weather here is milder than Pueblo, which is more desert-like. COLO SPGS will be a bit cooler in summer and our winter lows aren't as low as Pueblo.

We have at least 4 major hospitals here and lots of very large medical offices all over town.

Tell us more about yourself, your desired price range for a home, etc, and our regulars can tell you a lot more.

You are correct to rent for a while until you learn the area, especially if you've never lived here before. Try padmaster.com for all sorts of rentals.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times
Pueblo is called the "Home of heros" as we are home to 4 people who received the medal of honor.

As far as the weather. Pueblo has the best climate in the state as we are much warmer then Colorado Springs in the winter and while we get snow its usually much less then most of the state and it usually melts in a few days. It the summer its usually in the 90's with lows in the 50's and 60's but we have a few days above 100. Pueblo has 2 regional medical centers and a state hospital and veterans clinic. Pueblo is home to the National Weather Service for southern Colorado but I am not sure how hard it is to get a job there. Pueblo schools are good and Pueblo is home to Colorado State University Pueblo, one of the fastest growing universities in the state. Pueblo has geat recrational places from bowling allys to a great movie theator, Riverwalk in downtown that is growing, lake, library that is great and one of the best librarys in the state, a mall, museums, cultural scene that has great Broadway shows etc.

As far as where to live I would look at Pueblo West or the North Side of town possibly the south side of town. Pueblo is compact so its easy to get around.

To be honest you need to visit but there are a lot of retired military here and I think you would like it.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-18-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

What we are looking for is a quiet area with access to big city amenities (i.e. malls, I have teenage girls) I love that it has such a small town feel (I grew up in a small Texas town, husband in a big New York city, but we both want a slower way of life). We aren't fast lane kind of people.

I have done a lot of searching on these forums and enjoy the community pride.

We certainly plan to visit to see which locations we enjoy most, and as you know, reading about an area and seeing pictures is never the same as actually being there. We still have about a year before we have to make our move, so plenty of time to make a good decision.

I have done plenty of research, and know the facts. Now, I just want straight up personal opinions about your lovely area. I'm already excited to try all the restaurants that are on Josseppie's thread, lol. We looooove food.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
When I worked at the Citadel Mall (the "lesser" of Colorado Springs' malls- both of which pale in comparison to Denver's malls), I routinely had people coming up from Pueblo to come shopping to the Springs, and to our second-rate malls (compared to Denver, I love Park Meadows!).

Old 03-19-2011, 03:27 PM

That just shows that Pueblo is a undeserved market.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 PM

276 posts, read 583,657 times
As I lifelong Puebloan, I can help answer most of your questions. I'm not sure if you've taken a trip to Pueblo yet, but that's something you might want to think about doing.

Pueblo is very affordable compared to most other areas in the state. It might be hard for you to find a rental property that will accommodate your large family, but if you look hard enough, you'll probably find a decent-sized place to live in before you finish building your house.

The health care industry is one of the backbones of the city's economy, so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding work. Your husband probably won't find much though, as technology-based jobs are almost non-existent around here. He might have to look for something in the Colorado Springs area.

Our school system is very mediocre, and I'll leave it at that. We do have a college that is growing very quickly, but it is more of a non-traditional university. Still, CSU-P is very affordable compared to other universities along the front range.

There is a lot of crime in Pueblo. Recently, the city was named the most dangerous in the state. We have huge drug and gang problems, and an apathetic police force that spends more time writing speeding tickets than it does solving crimes. Many violent crimes in this town are never solved. Property crime is also a huge problem, regardless of where you live.

Pueblo has a very large Hispanic population. Recent census numbers showed that the city itself was 50% Hispanic. There is also a very prevalent welfare culture, and we have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. When and if you shop at a local Wal-Mart, you'll likely walk out scratching your head.

When looking for a rental, I would look on the northside, in University Park, Pueblo West, and on the southside. Avoid the eastside, dogpatch, Belmont, and Bessemer, as these are the roughest areas of town. Another good place to look would be on the St. Charles Mesa, which is southeast of the city itself.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 PM

I agree except for the crime. It was a mistake by the police and the real results are inline with the average. In fact I NEVER feel un safe in Pueblo and trust me if I did I would move as no city is worth living in if you are not safe.

As far as the school system I hear people all the time complain but let me just say I am a graduate from Pueblo Central and have a MBA from the University of San Diego so I think its more what you put into your education and any place that has reasonable funding (Pueblo does more then that) can be a good place to learn in.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM

198 posts, read 1,043,774 times
I would look into PUEBLO WEST, the major suburb of Pueblo. If you like the high desert areas in CO, than you will love the Pueblo area. I will post a link of another posters PUBELO-PUEBLO WEST PHOTO TOUR and it shows the desert outlook from Northeast Pueblo near CSU-Pueblo, Pueblo West, and views of Pueblo from I-25.

Pueblo -- PHOTO TOUR

Yes, would most definitely look into Pueblo West first. My grand father initially lived in Widefield in C-Springs for a long time and thats where my father grew up. However, after my father had finished college and i was born, my grandfather moved to Pueblo West and he loved it there. My grandfather was ex-military as well and served in Korea when he was very young at 18-19 and Vietnam in his late 30's. Pueblo and the high desert areas of Pueblo-Canon City-Florence-Royal Gorge are probably the best climate areas in CO. They are even more confortable than the other CO desert areas. All of CO has snow but even less snow in southern colorado. All the snow in CO melts and usually within a day or even before nightfall.

Yes, Pueblo has higher crime for a city of 100,000 in Pueblo city proper. Thats why i said i would look into PUEBLO WEST, the suburb of Pueblo. Its much more nice and economically stable. Thats why my grandfather chose to live in Pueblo West over just Pueblo. Pueblo west does not have the crime, gang, issues that Pueblo has. All in all, i would DEFINITELY look into PUEBLO WEST.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 AM

I've been reading lots of posts and am beginning to get concerned on the cost of living. Essentially my husband will be starting a new career and will need time to build, meanwhile, we will be living on his retirement income, (half of what his base pay is now, [not a lot]) and the income of whatever job I can manage to get. What, in ya'lls opinion, would be a good yearly salary to live comfortably in the Co Springs/Pueblo area? Keeping in mind that we will still have 3 children to co portly support and 2 in college to help.

Thank you for your responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or